$30.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
53 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: miniature assembly - not hugely intimidating? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randolph Carter
Ireland
flag msg tools


having wimped out of the original KS, I caved and preordered the $275 edition.. anyway, from my following of the campaign etc my understanding is a lot of the sprues are for weapons upgrade, armour etc etc - so that out of the box you only need assemble the four survivors and six big bads... ?

don't get me wrong I'm sure they are very involved to put together but I've come thru Shadows Of Brimstone and Execution Force – and I'm a person who hates, hates, hates gluing and will never ever attempt to paint a mini...

sooo... is it reasonable to hope that set up time from opening the box to actually playing your first game is not crazy long? this would be a huge relief to those who wish to play the game rather than fetishize the minis etc
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm under the impression the game comes with no assembly instructions. Correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't be getting my game until Monday, but I have all the pinups, promos, and most models offered from the store and they are exponentially harder to put together than SoB. Learn to enjoy your suffering.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
If it's anything like the resin miniatures or plastic pinups, no instructions whatsoever. I've been noticing people putting together assembly instructions via photos in various places for the pinups. Possibly Poots will also throw something up on his site after awhile, but likely by the time you first get the game there won't be any assembly instructions.

Have fun and don't panic. Do alot of dry fitting.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No offense to Poots who clearly loves his fans and backers, but WTF? No instructions of any kind for assembly? 3 years of development and this didn't occur to anyone. yuk

Even if i figure it out eventually, a guide would reduce anxiety, speed assembly and help get this into the hands of more gamers who might hold off spending $400 for a great game that seems unfinished.

I very much appreciate any fan photo guides, videos, tutorials that will help.

Sorry for the rant. I want to paint and play this game, not struggle with assembly.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, not only are there no instructions, but a few (3-4?) sprues mix up multiple characters on one. Only one sprue gives little markers indicating which piece goes to which model, all of the others you have to guess where each piece goes.

RandolphCarterCork wrote:

sooo... is it reasonable to hope that set up time from opening the box to actually playing your first game is not crazy long? this would be a huge relief to those who wish to play the game rather than fetishize the minis etc


Luckily, the prologue sprue with the 4 starting survivors and lion is fairly easy. It only took me a few hours to do.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Carter
Ireland
flag msg tools
if there's a bright side it seems that the actual number of minis requiring assembly is not that high? is this correct or am i misunderstanding something? the killer with SoB wasn't necessarily gluing everything together it was the fact that there were so many to make... it never ended... whereas with Assassinorum the miniatures were far more meticulous but with only five that really required any conscious effort...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://build.kingdomdeath.com/

The build instructions should be up on there, but I think they are to busy with sending the boxes at this moment.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RandolphCarterCork wrote:
having wimped out of the original KS, I caved and preordered the $275 edition.. anyway, from my following of the campaign etc my understanding is a lot of the sprues are for weapons upgrade, armour etc etc - so that out of the box you only need assemble the four survivors and six big bads... ?


All you need to assemble to get playing are the 4 survivors & the white lion. The book kindof directs you on when to assemble things.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam has openly admitted that KD:M is probably far more advanced as a hobby game than most gamers are ready for... as René mentioned above, the build site should be up and running soon.

The core game is pretty straightforward, with the Phoenix and Watcher probably being amongst the most difficult of builds.

Some of the expansion monsters are going to be nuts to build, even with instructions (looking at you Scribe).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikea has instructions for everything. Looking foward to guidance that understands my desire to do things right the first time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the miniatures are crazy to put together and it did suck having to search the internet for pictures of the models so that I could see how they looked to understand where the different pieces were supposed to go. There were only a few models that had pictures that showed the backs of the models as well as the front and these were extremely helpful to see. There needs to be more photos of all sides of the models, especially with there not being instructions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, as others have said: wait for the build page to be developed if you're concerned, but also be prepared for some more advanced modeling than you're used to. If you're not too sussed about having every survivor match their gear layout, then you should be able to get away with just putting together the starting survivors, maybe one or two more survivors (for the 5-6 player variants), and the Big Bads, and then putting everything else together as the fancy strikes. There's nothing stopping you using models you already own to stand in for survivors, too, if you're willing to go that far with proxying.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Handley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bluetac is your friend. Dry fit as much as possible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Brock
United States
Mount Gay
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting the 4 starting survivors and the lion together should take no more than an hour, including drying time. I'm not an advanced hobbyist, but I have done my share of pinups, Shadows of Brimstone and Wyrd miniatures. I would place the complexity of KD on the level of Wyrd minis, who also have no instructions.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shin Yagami
United States
California
flag msg tools
Cardoc24 wrote:
Putting the 4 starting survivors and the lion together should take no more than an hour, including drying time. I'm not an advanced hobbyist, but I have done my share of pinups, Shadows of Brimstone and Wyrd miniatures. I would place the complexity of KD on the level of Wyrd minis, who also have no instructions.



Well 3 of the survivors and the Lion are easy.
Zachary has two pieces of cloth that are abit odd.

Also I'm warning due to experience on this, with the Phoenix, just skip putting the additional hands on the wings until the build guide comes out.
Trust me, it's a time sink and a puzzle from hell.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shin40k wrote:


Also I'm warning due to experience on this, with the Phoenix, just skip putting the additional hands on the wings until the build guide comes out.
Trust me, it's a time sink and a puzzle from hell.


Yes, it is. I got about 4 put on and decided it just wasn't worth it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just gotta chime in somewhere, so here. What's cheesing me off about these specialty models is it's not entirely clear where the joints end in cloth details and what's sprue flash sometimes. Twilight Knight's arm is at a funky angle cause it would not work AT ALL at any other angle. Sci Fi Twilight Knight's knee is wonky still.

yuk

At least with the armor kits I imagine it'll all be modular and just that's the way they go together.

Edit: I got awarded my mb for this post. Which is weird cause I've posted like 2600 times by now.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LL6869 wrote:
Just gotta chime in somewhere, so here. What's cheesing me off about these specialty models is it's not entirely clear where the joints end in cloth details and what's sprue flash sometimes. Twilight Knight's arm is at a funky angle cause it would not work AT ALL at any other angle. Sci Fi Twilight Knight's knee is wonky still.

yuk


I'm glad it wasn't just me, I thought I'd clipped him out wrong. I saw the picture posted in one of the older updates, but couldn't for the life of me get the sword at the same downward angle, so it points almost straight out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Elyklord wrote:
LL6869 wrote:
Just gotta chime in somewhere, so here. What's cheesing me off about these specialty models is it's not entirely clear where the joints end in cloth details and what's sprue flash sometimes. Twilight Knight's arm is at a funky angle cause it would not work AT ALL at any other angle. Sci Fi Twilight Knight's knee is wonky still.

yuk


I'm glad it wasn't just me, I thought I'd clipped him out wrong. I saw the picture posted in one of the older updates, but couldn't for the life of me get the sword at the same downward angle, so it points almost straight out.

Here, I'll make you feel better. I got frustrated and gave up on it till just now. Was working on getting the hand with the monster head on, dropped it. It rolled. I glued it to a sock. Then glued two of my fingers together getting the fuzz off.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the posts here are heightening my anxiety about putting all of this together. If more of these posts come in, I may just pass this one along still in its shrink. cry
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fuki Fino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weezknight wrote:
Some of the posts here are heightening my anxiety about putting all of this together. If more of these posts come in, I may just pass this one along still in its shrink. cry


I think the armor kits/core box miniatures will be far more forgiving than the specialty/promo models. A couple of the monsters might be difficult (wait for the guides) but I think the human models, aside from being small/lots of pieces, will be relatively easy to assemble (especially if you use plastic cement, since it will hold very quick.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Holen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Amazing detail and easy to assemble don't really go together...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fukifino wrote:
I think the armor kits/core box miniatures will be far more forgiving than the specialty/promo models. A couple of the monsters might be difficult (wait for the guides) but I think the human models, aside from being small/lots of pieces, will be relatively easy to assemble (especially if you use plastic cement, since it will hold very quick.)


Speaking from experience, most of the humans were fine. The armor kits are a bit more difficult because they are modular and don't 'naturally' fit together like the promos or starting survivors.

Also, spoilers about another mini.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
One of the hidden bonus minis in the core set (the woman) was a complete pain, though. Not including the base, she had 13 pieces! The starting survivors had like 4-5. So many flowing pieces of cloth and hair, it's hard to tell which layer you're supposed to do first. There were also a few pieces that I had no idea where they were supposed to go until I had other pieces glued on that were not partially covering where it needed to go. I managed to get it on, but it would have been easier had I done that piece first.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fuki Fino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Entice wrote:
fukifino wrote:
I think the armor kits/core box miniatures will be far more forgiving than the specialty/promo models. A couple of the monsters might be difficult (wait for the guides) but I think the human models, aside from being small/lots of pieces, will be relatively easy to assemble (especially if you use plastic cement, since it will hold very quick.)


Speaking from experience, most of the humans were fine. The armor kits are a bit more difficult because they are modular and don't 'naturally' fit together like the promos or starting survivors.

Also, spoilers about another mini.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
One of the hidden bonus minis in the core set (the woman) was a complete pain, though. Not including the base, she had 13 pieces! The starting survivors had like 4-5. So many flowing pieces of cloth and hair, it's hard to tell which layer you're supposed to do first. There were also a few pieces that I had no idea where they were supposed to go until I had other pieces glued on that were not partially covering where it needed to go. I managed to get it on, but it would have been easier had I done that piece first.


Yeah, having just finished my Dragon Sacrifice and White Speaker, I understand that feeling too well. Planning is essential, especially if you don't want to accidentally shave off something that looked like flash and is actually an important part of the mini.

Having said that, once you figure everything out, I'm impressed with how nicely everything ends up fitting.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.