Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
With the excitement of the bowl season and after watching one of the finest bowl games I have ever seen( Boise State vs Oklahoma), the question popped up. Are there any thoughts of an NCAA expansion for the game? I'd be more interested in that than the 2006 season.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the thread "First thoughts on the Expansion" for the 2006 team expansion, Erik Smith, from the company that makes Pizza Box Football, states:

"The new process for creating cards allows us to make special card pack runs in the future. This was an important step toward being able to create cards for college teams in the future."

So, it looks like they are thinking about going that way, but I haven't seen any time table. Plus, imagine the pack, there are now over 100 division I teams, and thats not considering all the Division II or III teams. I'm interested to see how they would split up the teams while also avoiding any entaglements from the NCAA or college licencing.

Hope that helps,
Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DAVID MERCER
United States
Spanish Fort
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
College is a lot harder to simulate accurately because of the huge differences between the qualities of the different teams. Also, the large number of teams, the low number of games played in a season, and the significant differences of schedules make accurate statistical analysis difficult.

That being said, I would presume PBF could sell conference packs (e.g., SEC, Pac-10) or a top-25 pack, or a BCS pack. I doubt they'd want to package all one or two hundred division I-A teams, because who is really going to want to play Florida International or North Texas? (Can you imagine pitting them against, say, Ohio State?) I guess if you really wanted to, you could special order the Sun Belt pack (and I guess they'd do a special print run just for you). Of course, all they'd really need to do to sell PBF down here is put two teams in it: Auburn and Alabama (though the dice might be choking hazards for the Alabama fans... ).

Honestly, a college version of PBF may be a good idea for marketing purposes (or not -- I'm not a marketing expert), but as for me, I'm happy with the pro. But let me throw the question back at Eric Czerwinski (the original poster), what teams would you envision in a college expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
dmercer wrote:

Honestly, a college version of PBF may be a good idea for marketing purposes (or not -- I'm not a marketing expert), but as for me, I'm happy with the pro. But let me throw the question back at Eric Czerwinski (the original poster), what teams would you envision in a college expansion?

I would stick with AP Poll top 25 and add another 10 teams or so. This would keep it down to the same number of teams offered with the NFL packs and allow you to play that "Ohio St vs. USC or Michigan" scenario. It would also make it easier to update each year.

I would agree that you might have to add the option play to the mix to give those teams that use it the light of day.

I really think it would sell well.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer conference packs. Besides, if you did an expansion with the 25 best teams in the country. Once you put in all 12 of the SEC teams, it only leaves room for 13 other teams anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How about some D3 teams.

Go William Patterson Pioneers!

1-9 but they had spunk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.