Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Stanton
United States
Paoli
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am planning to teach a class on board gaming for adults at a local community college. It will essentially be an introductory class on "Eurogaming" (no wargames although I have those as well). There will be likely be three 2-hour classes over a period of three weeks.

I'm looking for suggestions/advise on how to organize and structure the class so that: (1) people will want to sign up for the class (I expect 5 to 10 people); (2) they will be able to get an overview of Eurogaming with its various styles/classes of games; (3) they will be able to (at least partially) play one game a week and (4) they will want to continue/begin their enjoyment of Eurogaming.

Should I organize it: (1) from lighter to heavier games; (2) shorter to longer games; (3) by mechanics; (4) by number of players; (5) by complexity (somewhat related to (1); etc... Obviously it will be a blend to some degree?

I intend to supply the games myself since this is the first time although the community college has offered to purchase some games just for the class.

There are some local gaming clubs that they could continue gaming with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at the old GeekSpeak episodes. I think that it was Ben Baldanza who talked about running this type of class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Pasquantonio
United States
Millis
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea! I'd say that with only three two-hour sessions, and people probably new to these games, you're going to have to stay pretty light with your game selection -- games that don't go more than an hour max usually. You'll have to do the introductions, teach the rules, maybe have some sample games up for display, and the like. And your students will pick up the games at wildly different paces.

I don't know what you're thinking of for games, but again I'd say that you probably won't, and can't, get too complex in that timeframe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had plans to teach a class at the local Adult Ed school, but not enough people signed up for it .

Here was my class schedule in a nutshell:

Start with talking about games in general, the history, etc.

Show some samples of games probably known by the student (if there had been any ).

Play a few games like Parchissi, Trouble, and the like. Discuss what makes them work or not work.

Shift gears and talk about Eurogames and abstracts. Show some examples.

Play some of the easier ones (if there had been some students ).

Talk about the games, what makes them work or not work.

Bring in more games- something really different like Zombies and play it with them, realising this is a game they would NEVER buy. Then have a big discussion about it.

More games. Have the students (if there had been any ) bring in some of their own games, which we discuss and play.

We continue this until the end-

- of course, for homework, they would have had to visit BGG 2 times a week and do a brief report on what they saw.

If only I had had some students...cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My immediate and not well-thought out proposal would be to organize by mechanics. I agree with the above poster that any game you play in class should take about an hour. I also like the above idea of discussing a familiar game and why it is/isn't fun or does/doesn't work. Maybe then take a mechanic from that familiar game and see how it is used in a modern game.

Some possible discussion ideas you might use that would be new to most people:

- Build board as you go (Carcassonne, Zombies)
- Role of dice (Monopoly, Settlers, Can't Stop)
- Set collection (Ticket to Ride, others)
- Auctions (For Sale, Ra, others)
- Player interaction (Settlers, Bohnanza, Werewolf, Party Games)

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Stanton
United States
Paoli
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your input it has been useful and productive.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.