flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
Autumn
2 or 3 players – 18 minutes

In Autumn each player takes turn placing a card on other previously played cards. Each card shows four groups of leaves and, in order to play it, you should place it overlapping other cards in play, parallel to them, never perpendicular, and covering one or two symbols that do not need to match with the ones on your card. The goal is being the player with the largest connected path of leaves at the end of the game.

3 players
Shuffle the 18 cards and place the deck face down. The first player takes one card and places it on the table. The second player takes another card and plays it on the first one. Now the first player chooses one of the three colors to play with. Then the third player plays a card and the second player chooses another color. The game continues until the 18 cards have been placed. The winner is the player with the largest connected path of leaves of his color.

2p cards (1 of 2) and 2p cards (2 of 2)

2p game in progress

2p endgame. Green wins

2 players
Shuffle the 18 cards and place the deck face down. The first player takes one card and places it on the table. The second player takes another card and plays it on the first one. Now the first player chooses one of the two colors to play with and plays another card. The game continues until the 18 cards have been placed. The winner is the player with the largest connected path of leaves of his color.

3p cards (1 of 2) and 3p cards (2 of 2)

3p game in progress

3p endgame. Green wins

icons from game-icons.net

EDIT: New Art
Rules: Contest rules
Cards: Front (2 player game) - Back (3 player game)
Game page: Autumn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WiP] Overcolor – 18 Card MicroGame Contest 2015
I'm very happy how the game works at this early stage. I have a few concerns that I'll leave here to remember and hoping to get any suggestion to address them.

- Rules wording. Since I'm not a native English speaker, I'm not sure if the rules are clear, confusing, have poor grammar... Any help will be more than welcome. Also, I need to sumarize them to fit in two cards.

- Endgame balance. I think the last player has a slight advantage.

- 3p setup. I need to work the way every player chooses colors at the beginning of the game.

- Icons. I need horizontal or central symmetry for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WiP] Overcolor – 18 Card MicroGame Contest 2015
I'm going to add an option for the 2p setup:
1. 1P reveals the first card.
2. 2P plays the second card.
3. 1P chooses color or being the 2P.

I'm still thinking how to deal with the 3p setup. Researching some modification of the pie rule I've come to this post: Application of pie rule to games for more than 2 players (additional input is welcomed) that has provide me some ideas about letting the players choose colors and change play order.

I'm also working in a set of rules for solitaire play, pondering if the goal should be maximize one color or balance the colors, something similar to the score system of the Micropul solitaire variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
I've changed the name from Overcolor to Autumn. In a few days I'll post a major graphic update that will make this change clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see the Autumn theme, that sounds great. The game seems easy enough to learn and teach someone, I am guessing the cards will be double sided?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
trunked wrote:
I would like to see the Autumn theme, that sounds great.
Thanks! The first graphic samples of the new theme are really great but they need some minor tweaks. I think I could show them this weekend.

trunked wrote:
The game seems easy enough to learn and teach someone, I am guessing the cards will be double sided?
Yes, you're true. One side for playing the game with 3 players and the other for 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Félix Bernat Julián
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this kind of abstract games! Very simple cards but seems very deep in the tactical game . This weekend we are gonna try it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot!
Please don't hesitate to post your impressions and ask any questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
New design and theme.

Logo:

Cards sample:

And an artistic representation of a finished and boxed product:

I've also entered the game in the database (Autumn) and added and entry in the contest geeklist (18 Card microGame Contest Geeklist [2015])
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Microbadge: DreamerMicrobadge: Invisible Sky Fairies - Gaming invisibly since forever.Microbadge: The winter of VGGMicrobadge: I Love FogMicrobadge: 2017 Winter Wonderland Adventure Design contest participant
Ooo... that new art is lovely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Haas
United States
Lenexa
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow, that does make a huge difference. Beautiful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you play what does the player have to signify the color he has chosen? What lets other players know that they are working on a color they own and not get confused about which color goes to which player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
As you play what does the player have to signify the color he has chosen? What lets other players know that they are working on a color they own and not get confused about which color goes to which player?
I've been thinking in using some kind of token for this but, since they are not allowed for this contest, every player needs to remember his chosen color during all the game.

In the playtest sessions we found helpful saying the colors aloud: 'Ok, I'm green, you're pink and she's light brown'. After repeating it the first rounds it gets fixed for the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7isprime wrote:
kingspud wrote:
I've been thinking in using some kind of token for this but, since they are not allowed for this contest, every player needs to remember his chosen color during all the game.

In the playtest sessions we found helpful saying the colors aloud: 'Ok, I'm green, you're pink and she's light brown'. After repeating it the first rounds it gets fixed for the rest of the game.
If you're ok with wasting one card you could have a card that has the four colors and just have the player cut it into four pieces, then have the players take the token that matches the color and keep it in front of them! You are allowed to cut cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
If you're ok with wasting one card you could have a card that has the four colors and just have the player cut it into four pieces, then have the players take the token that matches the color and keep it in front of them! You are allowed to cut cards!
It's a great idea! But I need every single card to make the game balanced (in quantity of icons and symmetries).

After the contest I'll add an additional card to be cut, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7isprime wrote:
kingspud wrote:
It's a great idea! But I need every single card to make the game balanced (in quantity of icons and symmetries).

After the contest I'll add an additional card to be cut, thanks.
Another idea is "after the contest when you're not so restricted on component use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" you could just use 4 color pairs of meeple or wood cubes and when you decide on a color you place one of your meeple or cubes on the starting card color! Now you have a meeple representing you on the card and one in front of you to match, plus it looks like they are walking on a path which is cool!

I'm looking forward to testing this, it looks like a lot of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
don't have to cut the card, just place it in the center of the table and everyone has their seat oriented towards one of the sides or corners
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
don't have to cut the card, just place it in the center of the table and everyone has their seat oriented towards one of the sides or corners
But won't the game be in the center of the table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking that the best option will be round tokens with stickers of the leaves on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
After receiving feedback from some blind playtesters one common mistake they made is assume that, when you play one card on other, the symbols should match. This is not necessary, you play the card covering one or two symbols without any restriction about if they need to be equal or not.

I've clarified this on the original post above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Youngen
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
solid microgame!
I picked this one after it appeared on the PnP news blog.
The artwork really is evocative of an afternoon walk trough the countryside picking up leaves and the final tableau looks great.

It is simply to teach to Kids and non-gamers in less than 3 minutes, and as enough strategy to be enjoyed by gamers.

Initially I thought that it would be best played with square cards, but after some plays the restriction imposed by only allowing rotating the cards 180° degrees in fact adds to the strategy!

Congrats for a solid micrograme!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your kind words. I've considered adding some additional rules but, as you have notice, the fact that is easy to teach and it is enjoyed by kids and non-gamers has convinced me to keep it simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Youngen
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eventually you can add them for extra flavor as game variants.
I would be curious to know and test them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Youngen
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few plays a little more strategy emerged!

You can place your cards in a way that expands your leaves path but also preventing the other player a valid move to cut your path (as it woul need to cover 3 leaves).

That's to add to the decision should I grow mine path or cut the other player one.

Cool finding by my kid who beat me yesterday smiling "My area is protected!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I like how different strategies emerge depending on the players. You can grow your path, you can block your opponent's, you can protect your path... And, overall, you need to adapt it to the card you draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |