Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: delux expansions vs datapacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Anderson
United Kingdom
Ilkley
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Apologies as this has probably been asked before but I cant find a clear answer, are the cards in the deluxe expansions different from the ones in the previous cycle of datapacks? Just trying to work out what I should get to expand as I just have the core set, thanks in advance for any advice
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
PoznaƄ
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all different. You either buy everything, all just cherrypick the sets that have cards you need.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Lefebvre
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robojoel wrote:
Apologies as this has probably been asked before but I cant find a clear answer, are the cards in the deluxe expansions different from the ones in the previous cycle of datapacks? Just trying to work out what I should get to expand as I just have the core set, thanks in advance for any advice


The Deluxe packs are more thematic, and focus on two factions (one Runner and one Corp). The Data packs are more random and give a handful of cards to every faction. There's no repeat ever in the cards, so getting one of everything isn't out of the question!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Anderson
United Kingdom
Ilkley
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thanks guys, I was hoping for my wallets sake the answer would be different....
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
robojoel wrote:
Thanks guys, I was hoping for my wallets sake the answer would be different....

If it helps at all, you don't need everything, and you don't need it all at once. You could get along just fine with only the deluxe expansions for your factions, and a couple of data pack cycles. You could also stretch out your purchases so that you aren't dropping $500 all at once.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maui Chris
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Valentino Rossi Fan
badge
get this ball
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
the big difference is if you're planning on playing competitively, the data packs will expire, but the deluxe expansions will supposedly always be legal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nutt
United Kingdom
Linlithgow
West Lothian
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At this stage in the game, jump straight into the DX box expansions so you get a large number of cards and in particular. As has already been mentioned, Cycle 1 and 2 will be removed from sale in 2017 and no longer be legal in tournaments. So if you wanted Data packs, I would honestly start from the current cycle as that is most likely what your FLGS has in stock.

Onto the DX boxes!

-Creation & Control: Not the most exciting of expansions, better for Shaper than HB overall, but a huge amount of new powerful ICE. Easily slots in with the rest of the core set and doesn't complicate the game any.

-Honor & Profit: The expansion that makes Jinteki a scary powerhouse and adds plenty new cool cards for Criminals. Probably the one to get first as it really shakes up the core set in a great way.

-Order & Chaos: Not too sure on what the community thinks of this one as such, but it has a lot of powerful cards (a 6 point agenda for Wayland!) and does some nice things for Anarchs which had seen a drop off in popularity in the meta during that period.

-Data & Destiny: Get the latest box a bit later since it adds 3 new Runner IDs that may complicate your game a bit too much at this moment in time. However, it does have plenty excellent NBN cards.


If you can get 2 at once I would go for Honor and Profit and either C&C or O&C as your second choice (choose the second box based on your favourite factions).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zer0 Cool
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are key cards like Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) or Katy Jones (Humanaty's Shadow) that are in the older cycles. You'll want to pick up some key Data Packs from Genesys and Lunar Cycles to get those if you want to compete. One great thing about Netrunner is the core set is really solid. If you watch tournament play a good chunk of the cards are from Core. For casual play core + large expansions provide more than enough cards to keep you entertained.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Octo Rex
msg tools
Avatar
mb
Quote:
the big difference is if you're planning on playing competitively, the data packs will expire, but the deluxe expansions will supposedly always be legal.

Quote:
Cycle 1 and 2 will be removed from sale in 2018 and no longer be legal in tournaments

I see this mentioned and it surprised me that it comes up really, I really don't see it as at all relevant yet.
I think a person will either:
a) not be playing still in 2.5 years (so it's not relevant)
b) not play in tournaments, so it's doesn't matter in the slightest, in fact you probably want to get the earlier cards before they do disappear off the shelves.
c) play in some tournaments, but largely play for fun - probably the most relevant case for being wary of phasing as they're not super invested and may have to prioritise their buys more, but still no real problem with the first sets
d) be playing in tournaments for next few years which means you're super keen. This will probably mean you want all the sets anyway as you're a top fan, and even if you don't you will likely need cards from cycles 1 + 2 to compete until they're phased out anyway (eg Jackson) so you'll likely get some or all of them regardless. It also means that you get 2.5 years play (as in heavy play) out of them because you're super keen which is pretty good value on its own anyway, let alone private non-tourney use.

It's all well and good just making sure people know, for sure, buyer beware etc., but I'm actually surprised anyone cares at this current date to be honest.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say get the Deluxe Expansions (especially if you're playing casually) and hopping on the newest cycle (because new cards are fun).

If you can grab the San San Cycle, there's a lot of fun stuff in those packs. Mombad will certainly be interesting thematically and I'm excited for the two new mechanics they're interesting.

After that, snag an old Data Pack here and there with the cards you think are most interesting. It's about having fun with new cards, not about collecting everything. Keep current IMO.

If there's a card you really really need, put a post-it of what the card does and stick it on a magic card. No one's going to hate on you as long as it's accurate.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maui Chris
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Valentino Rossi Fan
badge
get this ball
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Octopus Rex wrote:

I see this mentioned and it surprised me that it comes up really, I really don't see it as at all relevant yet.


well if one is considering aftermarket resale value, i'd say the expansions that don't expire will still be worth something later on. it's definitely worth mentioning.
what surprises me is just ignoring what will inevitably happen just because that day is not tomorrow. maybe the OP wont care, but maybe the OP will. knowledge is power & helps make good decisions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loc .
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mauigreen wrote:
Octopus Rex wrote:

I see this mentioned and it surprised me that it comes up really, I really don't see it as at all relevant yet.


well if one is considering aftermarket resale value, i'd say the expansions that don't expire will still be worth something later on. it's definitely worth mentioning.
what surprises me is just ignoring what will inevitably happen just because that day is not tomorrow. maybe the OP wont care, but maybe the OP will. knowledge is power & helps make good decisions.


Until peeps start playing net runner legacy and everyone wants dual lands (Jackson Howard).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Octo Rex
msg tools
Avatar
mb
mauigreen wrote:
Octopus Rex wrote:

I see this mentioned and it surprised me that it comes up really, I really don't see it as at all relevant yet.


well if one is considering aftermarket resale value, i'd say the expansions that don't expire will still be worth something later on. it's definitely worth mentioning.
what surprises me is just ignoring what will inevitably happen just because that day is not tomorrow. maybe the OP wont care, but maybe the OP will. knowledge is power & helps make good decisions.

Well first off you weren't talking about resale value in your original post, you were talking about competitive play. You've switched to the resale argument after the fact, and whether a person plays competitively or not doesn't affect the market value of particular packs. Why change your argument?

Resale: I'm no expert, but in my experience popular things that are out of print and hard to get tend to have more resale value than things that you can just get off the shelf (just look at M:TG), regardless of competitive play, so perhaps they'd be better off getting the early cycles if that's their concern? Who knows, we'll have to see.

As for your slightly snarky point about "ignoring what will inevitably happen" - sorry if I came across harsh, but anyway I'm not ignoring anything. If we take the really long view then all the current data packs will expire eventually, so does that mean I should be wary of getting any of them? Will I really be competitive with just deluxes? What's required is a consideration of not just inevitability, but time also. If they were going to start phasing out 20 years from now, would anyone be even mentioning it? I doubt it. It's still inevitable they'll get phased out, but how soon it's going to happen is more relevant here.

Knowledge is Power: yeah, I did say it's all well and good letting people know, so fair enough. I just remember the hoo-ha when it was announced and I guess it still surprises me is all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.