1 Posts

Devil Bunny Hates the Earth» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Mancala for Merry Misanthropes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffery Hatmaker
United States
flag msg tools
I enjoy this game. First, it's premise is funny. That's always a plus with me, even if only because it's a little easier to get folks to play a game with an outrageous story line. The basic mechanics are straight out of Mancala, but with enough twists and humor to make it way more fun. In this game, you are a taffy pulling machine. Devil Bunny has decided to wreak his horrible revenge upon the hapless denizens of the Earth by inflicting upon them a most un-satisfying brand of taffy. Being a rather simple machine, you wish to thwart Devil Bunny's evil, if wholly ludicrous, plan. But how? Lure squirrels through the open windows and trick them into your works, thus trashing your ability to make this wretched taffy for Devil Bunny. But! Devil Bunny is not so easily fooled, and if he comes to your part of the factory, he'll repair you, and you must start all over again.

Here's How:

You pick a machine to play, put your little token by it, and note the layout of the map. The "Mancala" bowls are little platforms connected by pipes. The beans, (or whatever, remember, this is a Cheapass Game), represent the squirrels. Each turn, each player rolls to see where to place squirrels, or even better, move them along those pipes from disc to disc, depositing one on each as he or she goes. As the squirrels pass what in Mancala would pass for "home" (i.e., your machine), they are dropped off as well. Once you accumulate 5 squirrels, you're the first machine to break down and you win. The devil bunny token moves just like the other "mancala" stones. The trick is to move him and eventually place him, on one of your opponents machines. Devi Bunny effects repairs by chasing away two squirrels, (one, if that's all you have).

The Difference from Mancala:

The map board is much more complex, allowing for up to 5 players! And, the addition of the Devil Bunny dynamic allows not only for the accumulation of stones, but the elimination of them as well! And of course, there's the premise. Funny, cute, relatively simple.

The only problem I could see was addressed somewhere here at the game forum; the rules on how to move Devil Bunny are a bit vague. Once they were explained, (viz, he moves like any other stone), the game really does become a no-brainer. My kids love this game, (and I love playing it with them), and due to it's size, it makes a great travel/vacation game.

This game is fun, fast and funny. It's hard to get bored with it, because it doesn't last long enough to get tedious. The only reason I don't nail it to the wall with the 5 star rating is because of (a) the above mentioned rules irregularity and (b) the inherently "cheapass" bits. Cheapass games has recently begun offering generic bits, and I believe this will greatly enhance a broader appeal of their games; well, that and COLOR game boards. (Cf, the difference in their card games from B/W to color. Daylight and Dark).

It's worth the money, it's fun to play and it's relatively problem free. What more do you want? Now go and jam yer taffy machine!
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.