Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

First I wasn't too keen to buy this game. After reading some posts it seems a fast fun playing game.

Still on the fence about it so... Would apreciate some remarks, thoughts, experiences about this game.

Should I... Buy it?

Reasons?

Thanks in advanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Menconi
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd only buy it if you enjoy good games!! It is an excellent design. I've played maybe 20 times, and still find novel approaches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a thoughtful, detailed simulation of the runup to WW2, well...

But if you are looking for the funnest, most wide-open wargame of 2015, look no further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy many wargames. Most go unplayed as they're too sprawling, too complex, and not fun.

Triumph and Tragedy is the best new wargame in several years, the best since Columbia's Julius Caesar. Like JC, T&T is fast, fun, easy to teach and to learn, and interesting. It has high replay value. Unlike most WWII ETO games, T&T is unscripted and unpredictable.

The design brilliantly stages of the power struggle 1936-1945.

(Reprint of 09-11 post).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dworkin
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and, yet, although it is unscripted and unpredictable, there is almost nothing that is unbelievable or beyond a reasonable extension of what did or might have happened.

Add to that the fact that the rules are clear and almost unambiguous and that there is almost no down time for players during other players turns and that so much of it feels "intuitively right' T&T takes the cake as the best new game Ive seen in a decade and second best in 30 years (War of the Ring being the other) and best 3-player, period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi praise, guys.
Thanks.

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

It's a very smooth running light and fun wargame.

Just a word of caution though - to me - it didn't feel anything like the run up to World War Two. The setting could equally have been on a fictional planet if you didn't happen to be looking at a map of 1930's Europe. There is a nod to it in terms of the technology tree and some of the diplomatic choices - but only a nod.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, other than the playing board, the cards and some of the pieces, it didn't feel like WW2?

surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good comments, everyone. I don't think I can make a serious comment until I play a few times with people, but I would describe it as a more serious and brainy Axis and Allies, with a much more sandbox quality. I don't like A&A, but this game is full of ideas. Light when compared to heavier attempts at simulation, but relatively simple to play, with plenty of options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
T&T is an excellent, entertaining game. As far a following a historical narrative, I think you could regard it as WWII without Hitler, or perhaps with three Hitlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Setser
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Developer - "Bayonets & Tomahawks" and "Imperial Struggle"
mbmbmbmbmb
What?! You don't have this game yet? Inconceivable - go get it, play it and enjoy a game most wonderful! Sure, it does not lock you into a particular path to follow for WW2, but that is the charm.

Rules are simple for such a high level game; we only had minor issues with the Naval bits, but it all fleshed out after a match. Plus it plays quickly, so if Mother Fate abandons you to crummy dice rolling, the pain ends quickly and you could even start another match. Have never played a strategic level game like that before.

You will not be dissapointed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Second much of the above, I've played it once, enjoyed it, want to play again.

It probably is NOT very suitable to solitaire play though, if that's a factor. Hidden blocks and card play and three-way diplomacy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.