Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthijs Schaap
Netherlands
Delft
ZH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, thanks for dropping in.

Each year I try to do a small print and play game for my friends/family and send it around instead of holiday greeting cards.

In the past I have done a hidden gift bidding game, a nano choose your own adventure (16 paragraphs) with a twist, a drawing game about decorating a christmas tree and another few not really worth mentioning.
This year I thought to combine that yearly ritual with this 18 card contest. Which is wonderfully small so it can be printed and put together easily.
I'll be going slow due to my young family taking chunks of my time but I'll get to an entry eventually.

For now here are my rough theme/game ideas:

The best tree in town: find the best christmas tree in the forest and take it home without being captured
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Cards are two sided, you choose a card based on its front. Only you get to look at its back. The total of points gained from a tree is what counts. This is front points + backpoints.
Shuffle the cards, cut into 2 piles flip one pile facedown, shuffle this pile into the other pile
Start by laying out 3 trees per player + 2 on the table (2p: 2x3+2 = 8, 3p: 3x3+2 = 11)
The first round each player takes a tree. Then the turn order changes and you are allowed to keep your tree or change.
To change your tree you can discard it and get another one. In that case you also have to flip another tree.
If the flipped card shows a lantern in the background, you get caught for illegal woodcutting and are out.
If the flipped card shows a snow in the background, take the card and place it in front of you. If you ever get another snowflake you are cold and are out.
If the flipped card shows a falling star in the background, take the card and place it in front of you. You get 2 extra points for your tree.

Bowl brewer: Players play ingredients into different kettles and at the end you have to choose and drink one

Each card has 1 to 4 ingredients
There are 4 piles (not yet)
each player starts with 0 points
remove 2 cards from the game
deal the remaining cards
On your turn:
Play a card into a pile
add an amount of equal to cards in the pile to switch which pile belongs to you (or don't)
draw a new card
Scoring:
points are awarded for each 'bad' ingredient in the bowl
the player with the smallest amount of points wins

Christmas jumper: pattern laying game or trying not to get a certain gift

no further rules as of yet

Follow the star: A king follows the stars to his destination

Each player gets a card. The fronts are goals
Starting with the first player (highest goal number)
each player can take the top card and add it to the character track (visible/backside)
or he can lose 1 point and choose one of the 3 top cards to add to the track
or he can lose 2 points and draw the top card as another goal card (unknow/front of the card)

Home alone: christmas movie mayhem. Deduction, who was left at home or defend your house against thieves

2 player asynchronous coop.
1 player builds stuff to defend the house - needs info from the other on what to defend
1 player tries to deduce who is home alone - needs the other to gain time
each other card has
building material
a family member
and an attack damage value for the 4 entry points
One card is the house with 4 entrypoints
- Roof
- Frontdoor
- Backdoor
- Basement

White christmas: Weather predictions and cars, getting to the snow without getting stuck in a snowstorm

Each player is a location
each player has some weather forecasts
each player has a car
Find out as much as you can about the other predictions in game
move your car by playing predictions visible to all
Scoring:
A final card is flipped that affects the predictions and then
You get points for all snow you collect as player(location)
and for all snow you collect with your car

Romance movie: Players build a lover with certain traits, however each positive comes with a negative and that will cost you heartpoints

Push your luck, when do you pull the trigger in your relationship?
You start with you. A card that tells you what you don't mind and what you really like.
The cards:
Each card a player character on the long end and 2 lover actions/characteristics on the short ends
Each player starts with 7 hearts
A card gets flipped. You can take the card, pass or lose a heart to banish it.
If everybody passes the card is active for everybody in the middle of the table.
If you take the card, it is active for only you.
If you banish the card, it is removed from play.
At any time you can give up a card to gain an amount of heart. (you changed your partner)
At any time you can score your lover. (marry your partner)
Taking happiness for the stuff you like and losing heart for the things you hate.
If you have no hearts anymore, you have to take any card that comes to you.
At the end your final relationship is scored again. The winner has the most happyness

The office party: Each player gets to drunk and does the most outrageous stuff. You try to be the best of the rest and not the shame of the office.

Each cards has several actions for several point values
At the end you have a nice list of all your actions that evening
You can go up a p(o)int to:
make another player go up,
force any player to switch cards
every round each player goes up a point
at the end of the game you see what everybody did that night
Scores are deeds + drinks
second highest wins

Please let me know what tickles your fancy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Stewart
Scotland
ELGIN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
white christmas or home alone!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we get a dusting of snow every 4-5 years here in Texas, I'd go with a search for the best tree...

And I'd like to see the CYA game... Could you convert it to an 18 card game too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthijs Schaap
Netherlands
Delft
ZH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wast thinking about that Cover your arse game... how about:

The office party
Each player gets to drunk and does the most outrageous stuff. You try to be the best of the rest and not the shame of the office.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthijs Schaap
Netherlands
Delft
ZH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I added some preliminary rules/ gameplay to most of the basic ideas in the first post
So reading this is a lot more interesting now and a lot more involving
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthijs Schaap
Netherlands
Delft
ZH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I spend some time making and preliminary testing the games.

The Ideas ranked as follows:
Follow the star - felt good almost immediately and easy to iterate design
The best tree in town - promising but feels weird... needs way more testing
Home alone - promising needs way! more work and testing
The office party - the points really need tracking other than in your head
Romance movie - far less then ideal with only 18 cards
White christmas - needs more components, I won't cut up cards
Bowl brewer - struggling with meaningful choices
Christmas jumper - not farther pursued

So I went with follow the star and am done with the 4th pass of the rules and gameplay. See the next post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthijs Schaap
Netherlands
Delft
ZH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the game has a new Title:

The shepherds journey

2-4 players
(tested with 2 and 3, I think 4 will be no problem but have rather low scores)

Story
All of you play as a group of shepherds that are going to the city (Bethlehem if you are so inclined) on the way you try to collect as many of your runaway sheep as you can. The winner is the one that has collected the most sheep when the cards are depleted

Rules:
Setup:
Find the goal card and place it on the middle of the table
Shuffle the deck, draw the top 4 cards and line them up underneath the goal, road side up. Then give each player 1 card from the top of the deck.
Take the card next to the goal and place it close by. Roughly take the top half of the deck and place it on this card.
Take the next card and flip it over to its scoring side and place it next the second card. Take the remaining cards of the deck flip those over and place it on top of the card.
Take the next card and flip it over. Then place it so that the shepherd corner is on the last normal road card on the table. This is the start position.

play:
Starting with the first player each player gets a turn. Until all piles are empty and all cards are played.

During a turn a player can:

---draw a card - from either road side up or scoring side up pile.
You may always look at both sides of a card once you have drawn it. Not beforehand however.

---playing a card - either as a road or as scoring
If you play the card as a road, it has to connect to at least 1 road that can be followed to the start position
If you play the card as a scoring opportunity, you play it to the table in front of you. Cards in the hand cannot be scored.
There are 3 cards that are not roads but can be scored. If you play the 'Roadside' of these cards you don't place them as a road but place them with the 'Roadside' up in front of you.

---moving the pawn
If you move the pawn unto certain locations you get a bonus.
The goal card gives 5 points to the one reaching it.
The star lets you add the top road from the road stack to the table
The palace lets you exchange your current hand with a card from one of the piles

At the end of the turn you can only hold 1 card in hand. Also some scoring cards can always be scored as soon as the card text is true. If that happened during this turn you rotate your card 90 degrees to indicate that the points are scored. Other cards only score at the end and therefore are never rotated and if circumstances change it won't score.

Once all cards are played the "end scoring cards" are scored. Then the amount of sheep is counted. Any unscored cards are -2 points.

Cards can be found here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5284485/shepherds_journe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.