Subject: rules 1 vs rules 2 question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,guys.

I bought the game on Saturday.and had already downloaded and printed most of the rules 2 stuff from megacons site.
but,just a thought..as im new to the whole game.would I be better starting playing with the vanilla rules and cards etc..then later start to use rules 2?.
and could I just use the quest cards from rules 2 without using anything else from those rules?..they have a lot of info including quest setups on the back
any ideas would help me...oh,by the way I also got the first "card expansion set".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 1.0 rules are pretty vague and confusing. Some are even missing.

Go with the 2.0 rules as they explain things much better, and the new intro quest is possible to play through and get an understanding of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just learn with the 2.0 rules. That is what I am doing. I think you will have an easier time learning the game that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cesspit wrote:
Version 1.0 rules are pretty vague and confusing. Some are even missing.

Go with the 2.0 rules as they explain things much better, and the new intro quest is possible to play through and get an understanding of the game.

intro quest? wheres that is it in the 2.0 ruleebook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kelsch
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend the following:

2.0 RULEBOOK
1.0 Cards
2.0 Quest cards

IMHO, the new rulebook explains things better and is worth using.

The changes to the HERO and item cards really help clear stuff up, some errata, but since you probably don't want to print out hundreds of cards, The game can work with the current cards. If something becomes confusing, just cross-reference the 2.0 card which might clarify it. You can play with the 1.0 cards until 2.0 becomes retail, then I highly recommend getting it.

All the old Quest cards are pretty rough and has had pretty large changes. Print out the 2.0 quest cards and simply select them yourself.

Here is how I recommend you play the STORY quests in the core rule book.

1. Lay out the tiles as instructed
2. Do not use any adventurer quests at all. If the tile says pull a quest, ignore it as you are on one.
3. Place any quest-dictated lairs/traps/packs
4. When you enter a tile, follow the tile legend but if the quest already put a trap or lair, count it towards the required limits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
ok,thanks I was thinking of sort of mixing them as you suggest.as the cards for quests especially seem a lot clearer and laid out than the original ones.and some of the item cards are more or less the same as the original ones !
like the white token cards are the same but worded different with the exact same meaning so might not bother printing those out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Brehm
msg tools
mbmb
My understanding is that the 2.0 rulebook doesn't change anything of substance in the core loops. I'm sure someones got a link to the full list of 'changes'.

So.. 2.0 = 1.0 better explained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kelsch
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Granite26 wrote:
My understanding is that the 2.0 rulebook doesn't change anything of substance in the core loops. I'm sure someones got a link to the full list of 'changes'.

So.. 2.0 = 1.0 better explained.

Agree

2.0 Rulebook = better explained 1.0 Rulebook
2.0 Hero Cards = Errata, and clearer 'can move' graphics
2.0 Items = Errata
2.0 Quests = Some quests retired, some new ones made. Total revamp in how quests work.
2.0 Traps = 1.0 Rulebook traps on cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2.0 cards do make things much easier, so I would print out at least the ones for the heroes you will be using. Each hero's deck plays pretty differently, as do the items they use. To start with, I recommend the Soldier and the Acolyte (then the Archer and Apprentice -- the Brigand is tricky to play).

My advice would be to read the 2.0 rulebook (and if you can keep the PDF handy to look stuff up, that would be great).

As for the item cards, just use the PDFs or print cheap B&W sheets for now and use them for reference when you play. The same for the quests and traps.

Then download the Overview and Walkthrough (if you didn't get one elsewhere), and play a practice game using the Walkthrough.

I also suggest playing a couple of games of Slaughterfield (using the 2.0 rules) to get used to using the cards for the heroes (and also to get used to how the monsters work) because Slaughterfield doesn't use lairs, makes getting treasure easier, and doesn't use the Darkness Deck. So you can get the simple basics down by playing Slaughterfield before re-reading the rules and playing a "real" game.

Then I would suggest just laying down a tile and starting to play, or picking a simple quest, like Stolen Treasure.

After that, you should be set, except for getting used to new heroes and monsters that you haven't played with before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:
The 2.0 cards do make things much easier, so I would print out at least the ones for the heroes you will be using. Each hero's deck plays pretty differently, as do the items they use. To start with, I recommend the Soldier and the Acolyte (then the Archer and Apprentice -- the Brigand is tricky to play).

My advice would be to read the 2.0 rulebook (and if you can keep the PDF handy to look stuff up, that would be great).

As for the item cards, just use the PDFs or print cheap B&W sheets for now and use them for reference when you play. The same for the quests and traps.

Then download the Overview and Walkthrough (if you didn't get one elsewhere), and play a practice game using the Walkthrough.

I also suggest playing a couple of games of Slaughterfield (using the 2.0 rules) to get used to using the cards for the heroes (and also to get used to how the monsters work) because Slaughterfield doesn't use lairs, makes getting treasure easier, and doesn't use the Darkness Deck. So you can get the simple basics down by playing Slaughterfield before re-reading the rules and playing a "real" game.

Then I would suggest just laying down a tile and starting to play, or picking a simple quest, like Stolen Treasure.

After that, you should be set, except for getting used to new heroes and monsters that you haven't played with before.

Thanks for that Judy..lots of great advice from you all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.