Popular Tags: [View All]
Meeple Madness
United States
Flowery Branch
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all,

First time posting. Just thought I'd share a little macro shot we did for our website a while back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh, the DOF for the TIE fighter is okay, but really, the full X-Wing should be in focus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Might want to watch your DoF, you are back focused and aperture too wide.

Other than that, I'd personally try to get the full TIE in the frame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Madness
United States
Flowery Branch
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the constructive feedback; I was trying to go for a focus that implied some amount of movement the models, which is why I focused on only a portion of the X-Wing, and blurred the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
I may not have cropped quite as tight, but your lighting is good and it works. DOF is highly subjective, but you've definitely captured the in-game, table-top feel.

If you ever want to get everything in focus, try using a technique called focus stacking with macro shots. Does a great job of getting it all in focus and photoshop does all the hard lifting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Meeple_Madness wrote:
Thanks for the constructive feedback; I was trying to go for a focus that implied some amount of movement the models, which is why I focused on only a portion of the X-Wing, and blurred the rest.

Unfortunately, out of focus and motion look completely different. Further, the whole object would need to have motion for that to work. Same goes for shake.

A suggestion, for a chance to imply motion. Use a flash and pan. The flash pulse will expose the foreground and subject well, and the rest should provide slight ghosting if you manage to pull it off. I would use flash on first curtain in this case, but it won't be easy and is outside what I practice, I don't do flash photography regularly.

Unfortunately with still life, you can't just pan follow and get your motion from the background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.