Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
In several of our recent games we've seen some unfortunate circumstances involving the Repair Claw.

Used wisely, you can basically clear your board state of dice. In a close game, or even with a clear leader, this can really skew the game. We've had a few games were the leader/tied for leadwas able to luck into both in their opening draft of the turn, and there was no contest from that point forward.

Truly the worst occurrences were in very close games, which have been the most exciting. The entire experience has been completely deflated by a leader obtaining even one Claw.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with the Repair Claw?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say that I have. It has turned up in a few sessions, and used well can nicely clear your machine. I've done that myself. I don't feel that it massively skewed the results, though. JMHO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
I can't say that I have. It has turned up in a few sessions, and used well can nicely clear your machine. I've done that myself. I don't feel that it massively skewed the results, though. JMHO

Perhaps you've not had the leader get both in a single game. This has been me, or others, and each time has given the win to that person by 6-10 spaces. We've had this happen several times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several Boosts that help a leader win more. Weather machine in the final round is a killer, for example. If the guy who crossed the line plays that, its basically an auto win. Am I mad about it? No. Luck of the draw. If we had a chance to grab it, we should have. If he drew it first, lucky him. It happens. Repair are very useful but it's not so bad as to actually change anything about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing I would say to all of this is that in drafting games where you're very unlikely to see a card come back around again, people are going to go for they card they want more often than deny a card to another player. It's just the nature of the mechanism, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played twice, had the repair claw twice, and won twice. Although other players also got the other claw, and this is dangerously correlation = causation territory.

We has commented that it can be very powerful (effectively acting as 15+ cogs in one play) - but that said, there are plenty of other boosts that can help you avoid very nasty situations (golden move over 3 damage terrain) and the game is short (4 turns, last time we played) so I'm not sure I see this as very broken, just a particularly desirable card.

I've also won by flooding a huge engine with dice, and then damaging it all off and using the boost that gives you extra movement when many of your engine parts are destroyed. These all add up to some hefty combos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The repair claw is crazy OP.

The disintegrator ray or whatever it's called is even worse.

The boost cards are kinda all over the place in terms of usefulness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
effectively acting as 15+ cogs in one play

Which may mean venting 9 dice. A single card doing that IS OP, and does not feel nice if you are not the one to get it. I'm not sure I'd like to claim I played better if I won using this card. I'm considering banning this card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryn Mercer
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In my experience a well played "Repair Claws" can be absolutely game deciding because you can judiciously use cogs to reduce all your dice to 3 pips just before playing it.

An easy house rule nerf for this, then, may simply be to rule that you can only play it at the *start* of the venting phase, before spending any cogs to vent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True, it can be back breaking if a leader gets it, but it can also help you pull off some intense and unseen comebacks. Some of our most exciting games had tense battlea between 2-3 players in the leas, only to have one person gain 9 movement using repair claws or catalytic reactor. For us, those games become "remember that crazy time when..." moments. Nobody is ever bitter about it. It's why I love this game - you're never truly out until you spend your last dice.

Maybe my group is just less competitive, but it's all in good fun for us. If I really wanted to play something with no luck, where all that matters is skill, I'd play Go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Repair Claw can definitely be orchestrated to be a very powerful card. But, it takes some effort to get it there. I've done it myself, and seen it done by opponents. I don't know that its use was a game decider in any of the cases, but it sure helped the player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I just thought of an interesting variant.

Remove all Repair Claw cards from the game. Give each player some token to represent the Repair Claw ability. A player can spend the token (discard it) anytime during the game to activate the equivalent of the Repair Claw boost card.

So everyone has the ability once during the game and when they use it is up to them. Adds some planning and strategy to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.