5 Posts

The Duke» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you Strike an empty space? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
Is it possible to use Strike on an empty space just so you can flip your tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say:
rules wrote:
Strike: This icon allows a Troop Tile to capture from afar. Remove an enemy Troop Tile in one of the squares indicated by this icon (see Capturing Tiles, at right), but leave the Troop Tile in its original location; using this icon does not move the Troop Tile, but the Tile still flips

The rule says you can "capture" by removing an enemy Troop Tile.

Since an empty square doesn't have an enemy Troop Tile to capture, I'd say no, you cannot use Strike on an empty square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
SirRoke wrote:
The rules say:
rules wrote:
Strike: This icon allows a Troop Tile to capture from afar. Remove an enemy Troop Tile in one of the squares indicated by this icon (see Capturing Tiles, at right), but leave the Troop Tile in its original location; using this icon does not move the Troop Tile, but the Tile still flips

The rule says you can "capture" by removing an enemy Troop Tile.

Since an empty square doesn't have an enemy Troop Tile to capture, I'd say no, you cannot use Strike on an empty square.

That sounds like awfully bad news for the longbowman, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Luminati
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe flipping without moving violates the rules/intent (there was another thread that asked the more general question of any piece flipping without moving). Admittedly something I've wanted to do a few times myself but I think it does force the game to be a little more dynamic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
jluminati wrote:
I believe flipping without moving violates the rules/intent (there was another thread that asked the more general question of any piece flipping without moving). Admittedly something I've wanted to do a few times myself but I think it does force the game to be a little more dynamic.

That's a bit off: you can't flip without using one of its ability markers, which might not include movement (such as with the Strike marker). Hence my question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.