Michael Knight
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As said we are new to bgg and wanted to say hello and get to know the community and them us. Any advice on the best ways to do that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Hire a translator?

Serious answer: Get involved with conventions, be they nationwide or local.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knight
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We could do that! Should we seek one who speaks geekeze?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spyglassgames wrote:
As said we are new to big and wanted to say hello and geto the community and them us. Any advice on the best ways to do that?

Are you looking to get involved in the BGG community, or are you looking to promote your game?

Either way, a good way to start is to reread your two sentences before hitting submit to see if you left out any words or made any errors that cause your communication to be nonsense.

Once people can understand what you're actually asking them, you may get some useful answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fernandez
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome! I'm trying to figure out how to get to know everyone as well =P

-Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knight
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That is what I get for trying to post from my phone, my face is now red but I thank you for drawing attention to that! We are actually wanting to do both we want to engaged with the community and help out and get to know folks. We also would like to later on promote our games which we are going to be using Kickstater for but our belief is that good games only get made by speaking with and getting the advice and opinions of those people who will be playing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knight
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well hello there Chris! What types of games do you enjoy playing or should I ask the dreaded question of what is your favorite game? I was asked that recently and had to really think but in the end I had to pick Ticket to Ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you actually want to be part of the community, rather than just selling games or getting advice for making your games -- "good games only get made by speaking with and getting the advice and opinions of those people who will be playing them", sounds like marketing speak -- list games you own, put up a wishlist, write something more about yourself than just your game company resume.

AS others said, come across as a regular user, that happens to be a game designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
jbj630 wrote:
"I like the board games. Ticket to Ride is the best!
!!!! Buy name-brand drugs at discount prices !!!!. . ."

lol

Anyway, I agree with what some others have said. Get involved but not in a "marketing pitch" way. Fill out your profile and interests. Read some threads in the forums and give recommendations in the recommendtions thread (don't just recommend your game though lol). Establish yourself a bit and you'll be welcomed.

BGG is a community of people so they respond well to genuine people. If you go to the Legendary page you'll see that Brenzor who works (Brand Manager i think) for Upper Deck posts there and comes across as just a dude (who has access to info that people just die for).

Finally, welcome to BGG - it's awesome once you figure it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knight
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Good advice! I was not sure if it was bad taste to list the games I own and being marked as a designer. It to me felt like bragging or trying way to hard to show I play games. But on that note I did have question, what are Geeklist's? I see them around or hear about such and such game being on one and was curious as to what they do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't overthink it. Just be part of the community. It takes time. Post in threads about games you like. Respond in recommendations. As has been pointed out, you are coming off a bit like someone said "you are running a Ks? you should be on Bgg". That is good advice lol but take your time.

Otherwise I think you are off to a fine start. You seem nice, you supported bgg etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spyglassgames wrote:
Good advice! I was not sure if it was bad taste to list the games I own and being marked as a designer. It to me felt like bragging or trying way to hard to show I play games. But on that note I did have question, what are Geeklist's? I see them around or hear about such and such game being on one and was curious as to what they do.

I am sure others can define them better, but Geeklists are constructed lists of games on a topic/theme, using the BGG database. Some Geeklists are auctions, which go in the Geekbay section. You can certainly post a Geeklist of your own. Allow public comments, or even public additions, if you want input on your list.

Edit: of course I found this:

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/GeekLists#

There's an entire FAQ that probably can answer everything you want to know; check out the dropdown help menu on the header.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.