BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: WIP - Haunted Dungeon - 18 card contest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Haunted Dungeon (will be) a 2-4 player game about adventuring in a dungeon that is possessed by the angry spirits of failed adventurers. The active adventurer will explore rooms of the dungeon which are populated with monsters and traps chosen by the other players. Overcome the obstacles to earn a power crystal and press on, but perish in a dungeon room and one of the spirits will possess your body and continue their own quest for power crystals, and forcing your spirit to join the others haunting the dungeon's walls. The first player to collect three crystals wins.

Cards for Haunted Dungeon

Set Up
1. Deal each player 2 cards facedown. Theses are Binding Crystals. You win by defeating a room as the hero when you have no Binding Crystals in play.

2. The player who was most recently afraid is the first Hero. Deal them a hand of 4 cards.

Round
1. Shuffle the discard and deal each Ghost cards until they have 2. If you have less then 4 players, for each player less than 4 deal 1 card facedown to the middle of the table. Discard any unused cards.

2. Each Ghost picks a card from hand and places it facedown in the middle of the table. The ghosts are allowed to discuss this decision, but are not allowed to show each other their cards.

3. Shuffle the three cards in the middle of the table and reveal them. This is the room that the Hero must overcome.

4. The hero plays cards to defeat the monsters in the room. Each Monster has a number of Wounds (top right corner), a Room card with 0 Wounds is a Trap. The Hero must defeat all Monsters to proceed. Monster cards also have

Each Hero card has a Stance (bottom right corner) and up to three effects. The Stance interacts with Monster Abilities (see below). Hero Effects are:

Attack - Deal 1 Damage to a Monster. When a Monster has taken Damage equal to its Wounds, flip it over to show that it is Defeated.

Sneak - Choose one Monster Ability on a Monster card, that Ability on that Monster is ignored for the rest of the round.

Boost - Attack effects on the next card you play this round deal 2 Damage.

Monsters also have Abilities, they are as follows:

IMelee - Immune to Melee. This monster cannot be affected by cards that have the Melee Stance.

IRanged - Immune to Ranged. This monster cannot be affected by cards that have the Ranged Stance.

IFocus - Immune to Focus. This monster cannot be affected by cards that have the Focus Stance.

TMelee - Trap Melee. If the hero plays a card with the Melee Stance, they are immediately Beaten (move to step 5)

TRanged - Trap Ranged. If the hero plays a card with the Ranged Stance, they are immediately Beaten (move to step 5)

TFocus - Trap Focus. If the hero plays a card with the Focus Stance, they are immediately Beaten (move to step 5)

Doom - Doom. If there are at least two Doom icons, and the Hero does not Evade them, then after the Hero plays their last card they are Beaten (they still discard a Binding Crystal if they defeat all of the Monsters).

Each card the hero plays is discarded. If the Hero defeats all of the Monsters, and has no Binding Crystals in play, they win! Otherwise, if they defeated all the monsters, they discard a Binding Crystal. If the Hero fails to beat all of the monsters they are Beaten. Regardless of the outcome, the Hero discards all remaining cards in their hand.

5. If the Hero is Beaten, the Ghost players reveal the card in their hand. The one with the highest Power (the number in the top left corner of the card) becomes the next Hero (note: 0* wins if another Ghost has the 17).

6. The current Hero player takes the three Room cards into their hand and a new round begins (if they were previously a Ghost, this will mean they have 4 cards as they will have already had one in hand. If they were previously the Hero, they will only have the three Room cards).

FIRST POST ORIGINAL CONTENT

Thematically, I'm leaning heavily on Crawl, a really awesome early access game on Steam (local multiplayer only, but definitely worth getting). Gameplay wise, it's a mashup of reverse tag/king of the hill (you want to be the adventurer as only the adventurer earns crystals) and cutthroat caverns (as the spirit who deals the killing blow will become the next adventurer).

Just tossing around ideas at the moment, but I think cards will be split in half (top half for the spirits, bottom half for the adventurer).

The spirit half will have a monster or a trap on it, and some icons and numbers that determine how that monster or trap works. Certain traps and monsters will become more powerful together, so spirits can co-ordinate to try and smash the adventurer. These cards will also have a Power value, which will be used to determine the spirit that replaces the adventurer if they fail to surpass the room.

The adventurer half will be equipment and skills. These will have icons on them that limit their use (ie. you can only use 2 "hands" worth of cards on a given turn), as well as some icons and numbers that tell you how they interact with monsters and traps.

A turn will be something like this:
1. The adventurer will prepare for the next room by placing equipment face up on the table and skill cards face down. Other cards they have that are not used are discarded.

2. Spirits (who will have 2 cards in hand each) play one card facedown for the room. The card they keep in their hand is their Power for the round.

3. Room cards and Skill cards are revealed. Determine if the adventurer beats the room (defeats monsters, avoids traps) or is defeated (fails to have the right icons to fight a monster, or triggers a trap effect through the combination of monster icons and skill icons).

4. If the adventurer defeated the room, they take one of their played cards and keep it as a Power Crystal (it can't be played again!) and then take all of the room cards into their hand. These plus the 2 cards they didn't score as crystals will be their hand for the next round.

5. If the adventurer is defeated, spirits reveal their cards in hand. The highest Power becomes the next hero. That player takes all of the room cards and adds it to their hand (the one card they saved). These will be their cards for preparing. The previous adventurer discards all of their cards.

6. Shuffle all cards that are not scored or in a player's hand, all spirits draw up to 2 cards and start another round

We'll see if the 18 card restriction is something I can stick to, or if this design outgrows the contest. I'm going to try to at least have a working game in 18 cards (although I have expect that after the contest I'll fill out a proper deck as the premise is one that would probably be improved with more variety.. but we'll see! Constrained version first!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some brainstorming via card layout design. Here's what I got to start with:

Top 2/3 is the Monster/Trap side and the bottom 1/3 is the hero side (in the end I'll flip that stuff upside down so the hero player can flip the cards over and have all information they need at the top)

The number in the top left is the power (each card will have a unique power, numbered 0 to 17 with the highest number winning except if 0 and 17 are both played, in which case the 0 wins). The right side of a monster card has its life. There may also be 'special' icons below the power (and some may even have a text ability that breaks the game rules somehow).

Item cards will have effect icons in the middle (the bow deals 2 damage) and may have state icons in the bottom right (the bow is Ranged). Some monsters may interact with state icons (so an enemy that's strong against ranged attacks would have and inverse colour ranged icon below its power in a shield icon, which means it is immune to damage from cards with the ranged icon).

Basically, the hero needs to produce enough damage to kill all the monsters. Special icons will mess with this. Such as armour icons which let the hero choose one special monster icon to 'block'; or sneak icons which let the hero double the effect of one item. Monster icons will also change the resolution up, such as icons that make monsters immune to certain types of damage, or monsters that boost other monsters with matching icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have posted rules and simple (all text) cards in the first post of the thread.

I will eventually be making icons, and adding graphics, but this is raw prototyping stage. If you give it a shot let me know! At this point, I'm trying to hone the basic mechanics and ensure there decisions are interesting, but not too heavy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Kozlowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any game that has the keywords 'Dungeon' or 'Space', or preferably both, is right up my alley! I will definitely give it a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matzieq wrote:
Any game that has the keywords 'Dungeon' or 'Space', or preferably both, is right up my alley! I will definitely give it a shot.

Hold off on printing it if you haven't already. Some digital testing has confirmed a suspicion, not enough Attack for the Hero! Sometimes you get hosed by a bad hand, so I need to pepper some more Attacks on the hero side. If you have printed it, no worries - once I make the changes I'll post a breakdown of what changed (so you can just fix it with pen)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Card file is updated, changes are as follows (brackets indicate power number to make it easier to identify the card):

(0) Dagger "Attack or Sneak"
(1) Scroll "Boost or Sneak"
(2) Wood Sword "Attack"
(3) Throwing Axe "Attack or Boost"
(5) Shield "Sneak or Boost"
(6) Hammer "Attack or Boost"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I got this working.. you should be able to join this table and play the game online (or play around with it). There's only one table though.. that said, still cool:

http://www.tabloro.com/tables/Haunted%20Dungeon%20Testing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I don't know why I only just noticed this thread. I think it might be the lack of images on the geek list. Just wanted to know if anyone else has played this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so, and I haven't worked on it either. Been s busy fall. I should, and shall, formally withdraw it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for entering a game. Better luck next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.