Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Sigh.
badge
Yawn.
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried to map out the 18xx phylogenetic tree? We often talk of 1829/1830 games, but obviously the heredity is much more complex than just those two branches. Given the cross-polination of mechanics, the actual diagram would probably not be a traditional tree structure, but it struck me as an interesting way to spend a few hours with a diagramming tool...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone who tried to do such a task probably quit when they found that there will be endless disagreement among players about which games fit in which part of the tree, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Indeed. I used to think of them as being strongly familial along branches. Now I see mere variations on a theme from 1829 to 1817. A bit more of this, a little less of that. Still just numbers moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I once toyed with the idea of drawing the links in the style of the London underground map, with each "line" representing a major design choice. Intersections would represent games that share different themes. I never took this very far.

What might be easier would be to identify certain clusters, e.g. a set of 1830-like games (1830, 1889, 18GA, 18AL, 18Mex?) and a set of small incremental capitalisation games (1846, 18Neb, Steam Over Holland, 1858). There might perhaps be a set of games in which minor companies merge to form incrementally funded major companies (1861, 18EU, 1812, 18Ardennes), although there are some noticeable differences between the games in this set.

Some games clearly stand alone - 1860, 2038, 1817, 1880, 1862. Others fall somewhere inbetween, not necessarily close enough to others to be part of a set but sharing some of that set's characteristics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.