Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote is yes.

You're assigning workers to carry out actions for you. One "leader worker" to ensure that something specific happens and the rest to be "on call" should the opportunity arise to perform their respective actions. I mean, the game even refers to them as workers.

Is it only because they are not a fixed resource that this game doesn't feature worker placement in its listed mechanics? Or perhaps it is that the "place on a space" aspect of this game is a little more abstracted than traditional worker placement. Maybe it is because there is no guarantee that all the actions you select will be carried out unlike most traditional worker placement?

I'm curious to know others thoughts on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Worker placement is a form of action drafting, by taking an action with a worker you should be diminishing the range of options for your opponents.

Therefore, Roll for the Galaxy is not a worker placement game. Nations also has workers, that you put places, but it is isn't a worker placement game either. Just because it has workers doesn't make it worker placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

The key element of worker placement games is that you're competing with your opponents for limited actions/opportunities.

EDIT: ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacFarlane
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG Definition of Worker Placement wrote:
More precisely referred to as "action drafting", this mechanism requires players to draft individual actions from a set that is available to all players. In a given round, drafting is done one-at-a-time and in turn order until all players have had a chance to draft individual actions. There is usually(*) a limit on the number of times a single action may be drafted each round. Once that limit is reached, an action can no longer be taken until a subsequent round or until the action space is no longer occupied by a worker. As such, not all actions can be taken by all players in a given round, and action 'blocking' occurs.

By this definition, I would say Roll is not a Worker Placement game. There's no blocking; actions are chosen secretly and simultaneously, as opposed to by drafting; actions are shared instead of exclusive to the player that chose them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just read the BGG definition of Worker Placement I don't think Roll counts as worker placement. Edit ninja

P.S. It might be less confusing if you removed "not" from your thread title - I initially though you meant Roll was not a worker placement game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no idea it was so rigidly defined. Very interesting.

Having the "action drafting" aspect pointed out I can see that across all the games I have come to know as worker placement. It is very defining indeed! The only game I can think of that is agreed upon as worker placement, though challenges this definition (to some degree) is Euphoria. While you are action drafting to some degree, opponents can place workers where yours are. In some cases, your placement can actually bump other workers off the space, resulting in a free re-deployment for an opponent. In other cases, it merely effects what tier of reward you receive based on the combined knowledge of all workers on the space at the time of placement. This, in my opinion, challenges the entire notion of drafting and blocking.

Deadwood comes to mind also in the sense that you can in fact place a worker on an occupied space, but a confrontation then takes place with the winner of that confrontation either assuming it or the defender maintaining it. Would this not also challenge the definition with respect to "limited action drafting" and "blocking"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Salazar
msg tools
mb
id call it Dice Allocation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/145148/
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmbmb
"Place on a space" is the core of worker placement.

Besides physically putting a die on your action selection, the mechanism is no different than choosing a face-down action card in Race for the Galaxy. That's not worker placement, it's Simultaneous Action Selection. Dice management / allocation is much more appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Action selection, not worker placement, for reasons others have stated. Most notably, no competition for placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OathSworn wrote:

You'll find this isn't so uncommon.

Deck building doesn't mean it's a deck builder game
cooperating doesn't mean it's a "co-op"
collectible cards doesn't make it a collectible card game

OathSworn wrote:
My vote is yes.

You're assigning workers to carry out actions for you. One "leader worker" to ensure that something specific happens and the rest to be "on call" should the opportunity arise to perform their respective actions. I mean, the game even refers to them as workers.

This was worded a bit confusingly...

Specifically, you were saying "yes" to "rftG is a WP game"
vs.
saying "yes" to "Subject: Would Roll for The Galaxy Not Qualify as a Worker Placement Game? " as posted in your subject

There's no negation in the former
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
OathSworn wrote:

You'll find this isn't so uncommon.

Deck building doesn't mean it's a deck builder game
cooperating doesn't mean it's a "co-op"
collectible cards doesn't make it a collectible card game

OathSworn wrote:
My vote is yes.

This was worded a bit confusingly...

Specifically, you were saying "yes" to "rftG is a WP game"
vs.
saying "yes" to "Subject: Would Roll for The Galaxy Not Qualify as a Worker Placement Game? " as posted in your subject

There's no negation in the former

My apologies for any confusion. I was meaning to say that I do (or rather did) feel that RfTG is a worker placement game. It's been pointed out to me that it is not the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Dan,

Roll for the Galaxy, like its card version predecessor (Race), is normally considered a role/action selection game, like Glory to Rome and Eminent Domain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.