3 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Arkham Horror Scenarios / Game Setup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Teth Adam
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend I broke out my copy of Arkham Horror and all expansions and proceeded to slice and dice which expansion content would make for a fun game. I crafted a world being ravaged by magic - Rhan-Tegoth was waking and the Lurker served as his herald. Miskatonic was alerted and acted as the institution in play. The hamlets of Innsmouth and Dunwich were in play as well.

The game was fun, we won w/ almost no issue - emphasis on 'no issue'. There was very little in terms of suspense - clues were plentiful and gates 'behaved'. I get that this is rare - but we looked out at the HUGE stack of items, mythos cards, and monsters and wondered if we just diluted most of the game.

Cultists are common, however with all the monsters - they're not as common. Items are also hard to come by - those 'Elder Signs' are really rare. It's impossible to just slice out X cards BUT has anyone created scenarios for the game to limit what is available?

I'm thinking things like
AO: Rhan-Tegoth
Herald: <>
Institution: <>
Guardian: <>
Expansion Boards: (With 3-5 players) Innsmouth, with 6-7 (), with 8 all.
Monsters in Cup: X Cultists, X Zombie, total cup size of X monsters
Common Items: X common
Unique Items: 5 Elder Signs, X common
Allies: X Allies

----
The issue we encountered was that cultists were never drawn and thematically we had monsters that were odd for the encounter - all legal, but other monsters roaming the board would have been more fun. I guess if you play the game every week or so - you can cycle through the content so it's fun to see things mixed and matched - but for the occasional AH gamer it would be great to have something focused for the game. I know, this adds to the already lengthy setup but if it added to a higher quality experience - I'll take it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
badge
muwins.ch
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check Tibs' Introductory & Expansion Scenarios. Though aimed to introduce players to new expansions, he also did a great job of making them more thematic by leaving out certain components.

As for the cultist issue, in the base game, 6 out of the 55* monsters are cultists - so you might just want to make sure the cultist ratio doesn't go below 10%. Either way you probably won't get around removing some of the "thematically odd" monsters from the cup if you want a more coherent experience theme-wise.

* excluding Mask monsters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teth Adam
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.