Subject: Any good gaming - related books? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I'm curious if anyone is aware of any books on the subject of gaming. Possibilities would be: history of gaming - ancient or modern, descriptions of game mechanics and their evolution, or theory of game design.

I am not looking for books that are associated with game themes (like H.P. Lovecraft's short stories), or compiliations of specific game rules and descriptions.

Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but "Word Freak" by Stefan Fatsis is an awesome and entertaining read. It's all about competitive Scrabble. Fatsis is a Wall Street Journal reporter who took time off to get involved in the Scrabble culture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced searching on the category "Book" will give you quite a few hits, but I would start with the following:

A Gamut of Games
Board and Table Games from Many Civilizations
New Rules for Classic Games
Games of the World
Miscellaneous Game Book

Clark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Empty City" is a fiction set in the future and everyone plays icehouse in it. I might be wrong but I think Andrew Looney developed his icehouse pieces after writing this book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best book I've ever read on boardgaming is "The Playboy Winner's Guide to Boardgames" by Jon Freeman. The only problem is that it was published back in 1979, about 15 years before the German games exploded on to the scene. It's close to 300 pages and it covers a lot of the old classics (Clue, Monopoly, Scrabble, etc.) but it also covers many of the older Avalon Hill games, Dungeons & Dragons, niche games such as Campaign and Conquest, and out-of-print classics such as Masterpiece, just to name a few. In some cases, he'll go into a little history of the making of the games. His funny and blistering review of Life is almost worth the price of the book alone, which is about $3 on Amazon.com or some of the other used book sites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Rules of Play by Salen and Zimmerman. The book is widely recognized as one of the better textbooks on game design (used at MIT). I received it for Christmas. So far, it is an interesting read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.