Victory in Europe» Forums » General

Subject: example of play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Red
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ron, please make a few moves as an example for this game.
For example, begin in 1939 and we can re-enact and learn the rules and clarification most of our questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Draker
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Will do. I'll try to work something up with pictures this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Red
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Thanks Ron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindy Castro
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be awesome! I'd like to see a sample of an amphibious invasion of Italy with the Brits moving first. They attack into an empty space adjacent to Rome. Then Italy reacts by sending its entire fleet against the sea units and also launches a land based attack at the amphibious UK land unit. Not sure we played it right, what happens if the Italian navy wins, does the landing still happen?

If the amphibious landing happens, who is the attacker and how many rounds of combat? Seems like the UK is attacking an empty zone but technically the UK units can't land until after the sea battle happens, which beforehand the Italians moved into ahead of the amphibious unit. Confusing. I could also see that the UK is attacking an empty zone takes it immediately in which case the Italians coming in as attackers for two rounds. Or are the Italians reinforcements in which case they are still the attackers after the allies win the first round, and only get one round of battle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Draker
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is Tom Dalgliesh's answer to a question months ago about a Soviet invasion of a vacant area in Rumania.

A landing occurs on the first battle turn of the invading unit. If there is no defending navy, then this happens at the start of the first Battle Turn for the Soviet infantry and, with no opposition, the Soviet unit is ashore. It has nothing to do with being Player 1, only with there being naval opposition or not. The Italian CA can't get to Romania, but can attack the Soviet CA in the Black Sea. However, this would not stop the invasion. The Soviet player, as in the Sea Lion example in the rules, has the option of fighting the naval battle on the Black Sea first or the attack into Romania first.

Regardless, keep in mind that units moved by Player 2 are attacking, not defending, except when they support an existing defender, and only then if that defender survives round 1. The two reinforcing Germans would be attacking into Romania, and not there until Round 2, and could not be there at all unless they got there with a normal move. No SM into a battle is allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ron D wrote:

Or a video perhaps? There's an excellent video posted in the video section for the game called No Retreat; The Russian front (it's a video called "NR x-plained; a teaching game" or something along those lines). Though I did actually know that game and had often played it, my rules had become really rusty and that video helped me so much to quickly brush up my knowledge again especially because you are talked through everything while at the same time seeing what is being done!

It starts with an explanation of the rules and then takes you through a couple of turns.

Anyway, just an idea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Red
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ron D wrote:

any chance on the next weekend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does anyone know when the next rule set is meant to be published? (1.2)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE REVENGE OF THE GOLDFISH
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole story reminds me...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_of_Arta
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Red
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friedrich wrote:

Yes, unfortunately! And my money and time is also going...;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rossix wrote:
Friedrich wrote:

Yes, unfortunately! And my money and time is also going...;-)

Personally for now I really wouldn't go as far as that. There's a number of concepts I certainly enjoy about the game. I don't even think the rules are broken or flawed, it's just that, to me at least, they are at times a bit vague and/or ambiguous and that needs to be cleared up. Fortunately Columbia Games seems to be taking the time and effort to do so. Rules are relatively easy to fix as opposed to e.g. omissions on the map, errors on the map, strength of the units etc. Mostly it seems like it's not even fixing that is required, but rather clarification.

Some people claim the balance in the game is off, but I haven't played it enough to really say anything about that at this time based on personal experience. However, when the designers and multiple-time players of the game almost swear that it isn't, I will certainly give them the benefit of the doubt and even tend to believe them. When learning a new game, there may be quite a few seemingly minor rules which may have a major impact. If playing these wrong or not using a certain tactic/rule appropriately in your game or simply overlooking a particular (counter)-strategy, may make a game look broken to someone, but it's certainly not necessarily true. the games by Columbia games that I personally own, apart from ViE (Eastfront, Westfront, Eurofront and Rommel in the Desert), certainly aren't broken and because of those I still retain a high level of confidence in Columbia Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Draker
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Columbia plans to send me the draft 1.2 rules in the next few days and I will turn them around with comments/suggestions withing a couple days, so hopefully you'll see them mid-month.

I am holding off on building a detailed play example until we finalize the 1.2 rules, but I promise I'll get to it. As for a video, that may have to wait until Prezcon in February. I thought the "Discriminating Gamer" video did a nice job of showing in general how the game plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claas-Eike Schulz
Germany
21337 Lüneburg
flag msg tools
looking forward to read an example of Play :-).
Till now, the axis always loose :-(
Keep up gaming'
Claas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ron D wrote:
Columbia plans to send me the draft 1.2 rules in the next few days and I will turn them around with comments/suggestions withing a couple days, so hopefully you'll see them mid-month.

I am holding off on building a detailed play example until we finalize the 1.2 rules, but I promise I'll get to it. As for a video, that may have to wait until Prezcon in February. I thought the "Discriminating Gamer" video did a nice job of showing in general how the game plays.

The discriminating gamer video gives a good overview of the different phases in the game, but doesn't provide a lot of detail which would answer many of the questions I and others have/ had. My understanding of the rules has certainly improved enormously, but a new player would have to sift through many of the posts here on BGG to find a lot of very useful rule clarifications. There have also been many cases in which I actually thought I understood the rule in question, only to be proven wrong.

In a detailed video like the one I'm referring to above, many of the rules are explained and shown while actually playing the game. That helped me enormously. If you could just record (part of) a game/ a single full turn that you yourself play, whether solo or against an opponent, and take us through it step by step, that would really be great. Again, personally my grasp of the rules has already improved tremendously, but for new players something like that might work miracles.

Thanks again for all the help and quick responses you have been providing so far! This game is growing on me more and more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Backbone13 wrote:
looking forward to read an example of Play :-).
Till now, the axis always loose :-(
Keep up gaming'
Claas

"the Axis always lose". Do you mean the campaign game or the scenarios as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Clifford
United States
Portage
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the Axis can win the scenarios because they are much stronger than they will ever be in the campaign game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dvsimp wrote:
I think the Axis can win the scenarios because they are much stronger than they will ever be in the campaign game.

That seems to be a very common occurance in wargames. Historically, of course the Germans suffered far fewer casualties in France than even Hitler himself had ever dared dream of. In wargames German losses are almost always much higher than they actually were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claas-Eike Schulz
Germany
21337 Lüneburg
flag msg tools
boersma8 wrote:
dvsimp wrote:

That seems to be a very common occurance in wargames. Historically, of course the Germans suffered far fewer casualties in France than even Hitler himself had ever dared dream of. In wargames German losses are almost always much higher than they actually were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claas-Eike Schulz
Germany
21337 Lüneburg
flag msg tools
Have played the campaign only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Red
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, i feel ripped off. No example of Play, no new rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Draker
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry you feel that way. I have held off doing any extended example of play until the 1.2 rules are finished, and I didn't expect it would take this long to get them out. I'm still hopeful that they will be done by the end of the month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ron D wrote:
I'm sorry you feel that way. I have held off doing any extended example of play until the 1.2 rules are finished, and I didn't expect it would take this long to get them out. I'm still hopeful that they will be done by the end of the month.

Ron, I fully trust you are working on both and personally I'd still much rather wait till Mid-February, if need be, and have good solid rules and examples of play than having something rushed to an artificial deadline and still having issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Red
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ron, I hope that it is so and we have the expected fun with the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O. C.
Spain
flag msg tools
blablabla
badge
lololo
mbmbmbmbmb
Ron D wrote:

Now that we have the 1.2 rules, please could you publish that extended example of play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
BOOM
badge
BOOM
Kaxte wrote:
Now that we have the 1.2 rules, please could you publish that extended example of play?

Yes, please do! The extended example of play helped me get into all of my GMT Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.