Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I wanted to create this thread in case anyone else wanted to post about crazy Survivor deaths that happened during the game. I'm going to post mine in spoiler tags, in case people don't want a few things spoiled.

Death 1: Zack (starting Survivor), The First Story
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Our band of Survivors was doing fairly well, no one was seriously injured, and we had managed to score a number of wounds on the White Lion.

Zack snuck up behind the Lion and struck him for one hit, which ended up hitting the Lion in his "Fuzzy Groin." If you make a Critical Hit against this location, you cut off the Lion's testes, enrage him (he gets +1 Damage for the rest of the Showdown), and he PERMANENTLY targets the Survivor who struck him until either one is dead.

Of course, Zack rolled a critical hit. For the remainder of the Showdown, the Lion mercilessly mauled Zack. We got to the point where we needed one more wound on the Lion to kill him, with Zack knocked down with a number of Severe Wounds and a Disorder or two. We thought we could save him. We were wrong. We failed to hit the Lion that turn, Zack was mauled on the ground to death, and we defeated the Lion the following turn.

RIP Zack. Lesson learned: Eeny meeny miney moe, catch a Lion by the toe (NOT by the ding dong).

Death 2: Timtom (new Survivor, 1st Hunt), Lantern Year 2, White Lion
This was our first full Hunt. During the Hunt Phase, a White Lion Hunt Event card caused everyone to take a single Brain damage. Since none of us had Insanity yet, we all had to fill our Minor Brain Injury box, which meant any further Brain damage would force us to roll on the Severe Brain Trauma table. We caught up with the White Lion and started the showdown.

During Showdown setup, one of the random Terrain cards we drew was a Dead Monster token. This token is unique - not only does it allow you to scavenge for a Monster resource, but it also allows the Survivors to start from ANYWHERE on the showdown board and to go first (typically the Monster always goes first). So basically, our White Lion was distracted by a recent kill and we started the showdown with all 4 Survivors right behind him ready to stab him in his blind spot.

One Survivor went first, missed, and moved out the way to allow the next Survivor to move into the blind spot. Timtom was the other Survivor standing directly behind the Lion, and he made his attack. One hit! One wound! But the Hit Location had a Wound reflex - The Lion would glare (causing Brain damage) and then turn and strike the attacker. But the glare was all that was needed. The Brain damage caused by the Lion's glare forced Timtom to roll on the Brain Trauma table. He rolled a 1. In crushing mortal fear of the repercussions of his first ever attack, hinted at by the look in the Lion's vicious eyes, he dropped to the ground dead. The Lion never touched him.

RIP Timtom. Lesson learned: Looks CAN kill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oryan Holder
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
RIP TimTom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
House of Cards
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sure it wasn't a Lioness?

I have received that stare many times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my favorite survivor death so far. His name was Jeff Winger (Community reference - my entire settlement is named Greendale. I've had so many deaths up to year 8 that I'm already reaching into the ancillary characters - current team Starburns, Vicki, Chang, and Shirley).

Jeff was one of my original survivors from the First Day. He, very appropriately, became the Voice of Reason from the language innovation. Around year 3 I equipped him with dual katars from the Catarium. They have 2 speed, 7 accuracy and Str 3. The awesome thing about the katars is that when you attack with them, you can roll both of the speeds together. That's 4 dice, that hit on 7's (or 6's in the blindspot) and add 3 to the dice roll to wound. For an early year survivor, that's pretty boss. I believe for his "Age" perk - Jeff received a +1 accuracy bonus.

During my nemesis encounter with the Butcher - there is a card that gives the Butcher a ridiculous attack (he keeps attacking until he misses, but if the survivor lives, he gets a perk). From this encounter, Jeff gained the special fighting art "Legendary Lungs." This allowed Jeff to roll an extra to hit roll for each successful hit. The Butcher was really taking it to my team at this point. Annie had died to the same attack that Jeff survived, Chang had 4 bleeding tokens and had lost an arm. The Butcher had 4 AI cards left at this point, and it was the survivor turn. Jeff attacked the Butcher in his blind spot. Jeff scored 4 hits, so I rolled 4 more dice, two more hits. I was certain with 6 hits that I would draw the trap card and all of those would fail, but Huzzah! no trap card. However one of the cards was an Impervious Location (seriously, how many of those does the Butcher have?) To kill the Butcher Jeff would need to succeed on every single roll that mattered (not to mention some of the ridiculously nasty reactions). I won't belabor this any longer, Jeff, using the fighting art gained from surviving the Butcher, slayed him and saved the others from almost certain death (that nasty combo card was still in play).

Fast forward to the settlement phase of the next year (7). Jeff now had one arm (appropriate if you've seen the hilarious "Timeline episode" of Community - Remedial Chaos Theory). A Twilight Knight shows up, and is kind enough to give Jeff a Twilight Sword, but he can't use it because he only has the one arm. Then, in a fit of rage (due to settlement event) that I picture arising out of jealousy from the Twilight Knight's gift, Britta murdered Jeff. The rest of Greendale voted to execute Britta.

That was the end of Jeff Winger, a Greendale Human Being.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Elyklord wrote:
So I wanted to create this thread in case anyone else wanted to post about crazy Survivor deaths that happened during the game. I'm going to post mine in spoiler tags, in case people don't want a few things spoiled.

Death 1: Zack (starting Survivor), The First Story
Our band of Survivors was doing fairly well, no one was seriously injured, and we had managed to score a number of wounds on the White Lion.

Zack snuck up behind the Lion and struck him for one hit, which ended up hitting the Lion in his "Fuzzy Groin." If you make a Critical Hit against this location, you cut off the Lion's testes, enrage him (he gets +1 Damage for the rest of the Showdown), and he PERMANENTLY targets the Survivor who struck him until either one is dead.

Of course, Zack rolled a critical hit. For the remainder of the Showdown, the Lion mercilessly mauled Zack. We got to the point where we needed one more wound on the Lion to kill him, with Zack knocked down with a number of Severe Wounds and a Disorder or two. We thought we could save him. We were wrong. We failed to hit the Lion that turn, Zack was mauled on the ground to death, and we defeated the Lion the following turn.

RIP Zack. Lesson learned: Eeny meeny miney moe, catch a Lion by the toe (NOT by the ding dong).

Is that right tho? I thought if you were knocked down you couldn't be targeted any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also calling it now: This will be the best thread in this forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:

Is that right tho? I thought if you were knocked down you couldn't be targeted any more.

It depends. Once you are knocked down, a Survivor is no longer considered a threat. There are several AI cards where the targeting says something like "Closest threat in range," which in this case would ignore knocked down Survivors. However, any card that uses the word Survivor like "Random Survivor in range" instead of threat means anyone is a valid target. The wording is very precise.

However, in the case of my Survivor, this didn't matter:
Gaining the Priority Target token means that you completely ignore the targeting rules on a Monster's AI card and instead the Monster goes after whoever has the token.

For my Survivor, who as an effect of critically wounding the Lion's genitals, "permanently gains the Priority Target token," meant that regardless of whether he was knocked down or not, he was going to be attacked. The card even goes so far as to say "The Lion will attack the target without mercy until either the Survivor or Lion is dead, no exceptions!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah, yeah, I did misremember that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I only have one story so far, I dropped Ezra on the floor and the cat sat on him.

Doomed by fuzzy booty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
I only have one story so far, I dropped Ezra on the floor and the cat sat on him.

Doomed by fuzzy booty.

There is actually a story event card about this...Edit: Sort of, in an offhand way.
We happened upon Oracle of Death and drew the Storytelling event card where one person had a crazy dream and another had to orate it for the masses. Apparently, Jon Snow had a nightmare about a giant white lion ass rocketing through the sky to land on his face and kill him, but just before he breathed his last breath, the face of the lion turned out to be his own. Dun dun duuuuuuh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:

Doomed by fuzzy booty.

Must have been out of survival, otherwise he'd have dodged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to check out the cemetery that already exists on this forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.