Subject: strategic importance of the axe? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this for the first time yesterday.

We all loved it, so pretty looking and kind of a Carcassonne II feel to it

Personally, though, I don't quite get the strategic importance of the axe. Is it there so you have to choose 2 of your 3 tiles personally, or are you trying to make others really excited about a tile, then take it away?

I feel kinda stupid for asking this, and it is only after one game, but I just didn't really see it. In my game I just placed it on the tile that was least important to me. I guess that would screw someone else over if they were hoping for it, but if I really wanted a tile and it got axed, normally I could find something else I liked.

I also understand maybe you are leading in boats and you don't want someone else to get your boats, but putting a decent money value on that tile can more than make up for it, IMHO

Anyway, your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I use it to remove a tile that I don't want to pay for and that I certainly don't want an opponent to have.

If everyone uses the same logic it means that game winning tiles are difficult to come by.

I have won a game by buying the dream tile that my opponent wrongly thought I couldn't afford. If they had axed it I would have been unlikely to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laudemar gonzalez
Canada
toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Perfectly explained, Liam. That's exactly it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several uses of the axe:

To get rid of a tile that is too valuable and that you won't be able to keep. In the first round, if you have a tile which works very well with the available bonuses, you have to either put $4 on the tile or axe it. If you put $4, you might still lose the tile (if another player buys a tile for $2 and then the seller takes your tile), and with all your money put on your tiles, you won't be able to buy a tile yourself if you go early in the turn order. Thus, unless you are going last (so that you will either have the great tile or $8 to both buy the next-best tile and start the second turn with a lot of money), you should axe the great tile. In fact, it's usually desirable to axe your best tile early, because the difference between tile values is often more money than anyone has.

To get rid of a tile that is not valuable to you, and which you don't expect to be able to sell for full value. If one of your opponents has a big bonus for sheep and you don't, putting out a tile with several sheep and a high price may leave you stuck with the tile if he buys something else; setting a low price will allow you to sell the tile but won't give you much cash.

To get rid of the least valuable tile, when your tiles are about the same value to everyone and you can get the full value. If your three tiles are worth $4, $8, and $10, and you have more than $18 in cash, you can axe the $4 to get the maximum benefit of any tiles that people might buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Fjeld
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
If everyone uses the same logic it means that game winning tiles are difficult to come by.

A lot of players don't understand that the auctions are dictated by points and not money. They usually try to sell good tiles at premium prices to cash in on them while being unable to compute that the actual gain to the buyer is measured in points. If a player pays 5 coins for a tile worth 3 points in three subsequent scoring rounds, the buyer has a net profit if 8 points while the seller only gained 1 point for the coins - if they manage to hold on to them to the end.

It is of course possible to convert coins into additional point gains by spending them on a tile to either buy a desired one from an opponent or to protect one of your own. However, the in-game inflation will quickly gobble up this potential conversion, especially in later rounds when coin bonuses can become very big with multiple players. In essence, the auction phase is not won through pricing, but by minimizing the scoring options available to your opponents. The Axe is key to make sure good tiles don't end up in the wrong hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.