Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Smith
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the mess (1st time posting and accidentally posted under variants).

I've been playing Cyclades (base game) for a few months and really enjoying it. Last night we played with the Titans expanion and 3 players and it just didn't feel as tight. It seemed like there was too much room on the island and too many prosperity trade routes on the edge. It seems like the predominant stategy was to take Apollo on the first turn (setup gaining 1 prosperity and 1 GP) and take Poseidon as soon as possible. Now because you took Apollo to begin you likely have more money than the other players and can both outbid and take 1-3 of the ocean trade route prosperity areas. Once taken you can leave them relatively undefended and have a significant cash advantage, because in the 3 player version it is now possible for a god to never appear or appear much less (with the shuffle the 3 face down gods and place too face up mechanic).

I feel like I must be missing something, but I'm not sure what. A couple areas I might have wrong, but I don' think so are:

1) Setup in Titans. Once you select your starting setup god, do you
a) place your two troops and 2 fleets plus additional benefits and move on to next player and reshuffle the gods at the end of the round (we played this way),
b) place your troops and fleets and additional benefits and then take a turn with actions for the god you won (ie. can purchase, move, etc).
c) place your troops and fleets and additional benefits and move onto the next player, but do not shuffle the gods for the beginning of the next round.

2) Troop/Fleet movement. We played that troop/fleet movement always cost 1GP (should it be 1Gp, then 2Gp, then 3GP, etc, like Titans?)

3) Special setup rules for 3 players? I didn't see any that I missed, but maybe there are special setup rules for 3 players (ie. block off part of the board or certain prosperity markers, etc).

I really like this game and have heard great reviews of the Titans expansion and really want to work with three players. I feel the issues I have will be mitigated with 4 fourth player, but the 3/4 player board seems too open for 3 people. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinSmith92 wrote:

1) Setup in Titans. Once you select your starting setup god, do you
a) place your two troops and 2 fleets plus additional benefits and move on to next player and reshuffle the gods at the end of the round (we played this way),

Yep!

2) Troop/Fleet movement. We played that troop/fleet movement always cost 1GP (should it be 1Gp, then 2Gp, then 3GP, etc, like Titans?)

Nope, because Titans are more flexible, they increase in cost as you use them.

3) Special setup rules for 3 players? I didn't see any that I missed, but maybe there are special setup rules for 3 players (ie. block off part of the board or certain prosperity markers, etc).

Nope, don't think so.

I really like this game and have heard great reviews of the Titans expansion and really want to work with three players. I feel the issues I have will be mitigated with 4 fourth player, but the 3/4 player board seems too open for 3 people. Thoughts?

Hmm, I haven't tried Titans with 3, but it might be pretty open. I've played it mostly with 4 and 6, the team variants both times, and I love it.

It's true that there's a bit more money floating around with all of the extra prosperity locations. But that should probably even out as the titans are going to use up more money than in the base game.

You may be right that the new board & titans rules aren't great for 3. It was nice that the base game had a unique board for each player count. Try it again at 4 (or 6) with the team variant and let us know what you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
JustinSmith92 wrote:
... because in the 3 player version it is now possible for a god to never appear or appear much less (with the shuffle the 3 face down gods and place too face up mechanic).

I was going to say "never" shouldn't occur but I see in this thread the consensus seems to be that way:
shuffling gods for 3 players. Please explain like I am five years old.
(I'm not sure I'll play it that way though... I would prefer it was a rules omission, as I don't see why 3 player would be the only configuration where a god never showing is possible.)

Anyway, I've only played Titans a couple times so I can't respond to your general feeling of the board being too open. I can answer the rules questions though:
1a is correct.
2. Yes always 1 GP.
3. Nope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Smith
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. Like I said, I think the issues will be mitigated with more players (though maybe 5 players suffers a similar issue), but the unique board for each player count sure spoiled me with a smallworld style scaling. I'm looking forward to trying it with more players. Next time I play with 3, I might try blocking off one or two of the prosperity trading areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Smith
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
JustinSmith92 wrote:
... because in the 3 player version it is now possible for a god to never appear or appear much less (with the shuffle the 3 face down gods and place too face up mechanic).

I was going to say "never" shouldn't occur but I see in this thread the consensus seems to be that way:
shuffling gods for 3 players. Please explain like I am five years old.
(I'm not sure I'll play it that way though... I would prefer it was a rules omission, as I don't see why 3 player would be the only configuration where a god never showing is possible.)

Anyway, I've only played Titans a couple times so I can't respond to your general feeling of the board being too open. I can answer the rules questions though:
1a is correct.
2. Yes always 1 GP.
3. Nope.

Hmm this is good insight. Next time I'll try it so the gods will all rotate through consistantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first 3 player game with Titans last night and had the exact same experience. It was compounded by the fact that we also played with the Hades module. It was a very choppy experience. The guy who won Kronos in the set up round was able to march his Titan across the board to capture almost half the island. He ran out of possession markers. No Bueno...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
afrag wrote:
I just played my first 3 player game with Titans last night and had the exact same experience. It was compounded by the fact that we also played with the Hades module. It was a very choppy experience. The guy who won Kronos in the set up round was able to march his Titan across the board to capture almost half the island. He ran out of possession markers. No Bueno...

Did he spend increasingly more gold for each move like you're supposed to? Not sure how he'd have enough gold on the first round to do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was across the first few rounds. I think in the first 3 rounds Ares only came out once when Kronos came out he was covered by Hades... That's the issue with the 3 player game. It's possible that a specific god may not appear for several rounds... Especially if you mix in Hades. In the future, I will not play Titans with 3 players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Delstanches
United States
Sebastian
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our 3-players game today with Titans+Hades was also a runaway victory for one (Apollo first pick, got Zeus lightning and the prosperity metropolis, ecomnomic powerhouse on turn 3). The game ended up so quickly that no one got to use any creatures, etc. A shame considering the setup time, unless you are willing to do multiple games on a row.

Why not just apply the 2-players rule from the base game to a 3-players game when using the Titans board, namely that one player has to have 3 metropolis instead of 2 to win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.