Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I've had War of the Ring for a year or two now. I've played it about 80 times over-the-board with this set. One problem we're having is that the old cards are much more crufty than the newer, expansion cards. Expansion cards are sticking together.

Also, the board is starting to wear thin, mainly in Harad & Rhun, but still ... unsightly!

Thirdly, I'd kinda like to have an extra Aragorn and extra Gandalf, so I can repaint them different colors to show their different incarnations.

So all this adds up to my plan to plunk down another $50 for a new War of the Ring to supplement the old one.

Now I'm thinking of other benefits: what about variants where the elves have 5 more elven regulars and 4 leaders in their muster pool? Or giving the Free just one more action die from the get-go?

And who doesn't want to paint Darth Peregrin, the Black Took?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hehe - I was just about to suggest to you that you buy a new copy. 80 times - wow cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Players of card-driven wargames typically put the cards in MtG card sleeves to preserve their life. It would make sense for you as well if you play as often as that. But after 80 games you should have fully depreciated your set and it's time to buy a new copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
But after 80 games you should have fully depreciated your set and it's time to buy a new copy.

Do you work for FFG?

Seriously, I think it would be a great idea for FFG* to sell the cards for some of their games separately, because they are the component that take the most wear and tear IME. I wouldn't mind being able to buy new cards for my Fury of Dracula game, for one thing.

* I know that WotR is not originally an FFG design, but I suppose most people here have their English version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The board is wearing thin?? That's pretty odd, even after 80 plays I'd think.
I have board games from the 60's that have seen hundreds of plays and haven't worn thin.

As for the cards, yep, use card sleeves. I long ago put my original Robo Rally cards in sleeves because it got played so often the cards were beginning to wear.

Oh and once upon a time game companies would put sheets in their games telling you how to order parts if needed. Perhaps that's a practice they should reinstate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Several tips for improving the wear and tear of boardgames:
1. Put the cards in card protectors.
2. Play with plexiglass over the map or board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
To clarify the "board wearing thin" comment. There are two problems: in a few unimportant places the color on the surface of the board is coming off. The more serious problem is that the four panels are starting to split apart at the hinges. If course I try to be careful not to torque the hinges the wrong way when unfolding, but others are not so careful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernesto Cabrera
Mexico
Mexico
D.F.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MTG Cards are way too big for WOtR cards, i suggest you use Yugi-Oh sleeves, they're smaller...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.