Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I played Archipelago, it shot up to one of my favorite games. It felt exactly like I wanted Catan 2.0 to be: less emphasis on trading and more on building up a little empire. I still really like the game, however, I am getting tired of having to explain it every time I play (I don't get to play it more often then every few months at most, and even if they have played before, they have normally forgotten how to play). It is such a bear to teach, and the Balance of the Archipelago in general is a little tough for many players to get.

Any suggestions on a game that focuses on building up a civ (or something like that), expanding, and preferably exploring (3x) that is a little more streamlined? Conflict can be present, but I don't want it to be the main focus (as in Clash of Cultures).

Caveat: One thing I love about Archipelago is how unscripted the end game feels. I know many might suggest Terra Mystica, and I want so much to like that game. However, since the board does not change and all of the bonuses are known ahead of time, the game feels too scripted to me. I would like a game that has some hidden information or bonus that reveal themselves if possible.

Thanks.

EDIT: To be clear, what I really like about Archipelago are multiple building types (I like this in Terra Mystica too), the area expansion/route building (not route building, but that's a mechanic I like), and the hidden information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Looking for a 3x Game
Some reason that you don't want a full 4X? I'd try Clash of Cultures. Clash might be SLIGHTLY higher in terms of complexity, but it's is easier to teach because the rules are so much better written and there are fewer exceptions to each rule. It's also slightly less fiddly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Solarius Mission Coming soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
Some reason that you don't want a full 4X? I'd try Clash of Cultures. Clash might be SLIGHTLY higher in terms of complexity, but it's is easier to teach because the rules are so much better written and there are fewer exceptions to each rule. It's also slightly less fiddly.

Well, I mentioned in the OP that Clash is not what I am looking for. Not really any easier to teach IMO, but mostly because the focus of the game really is on fighting. Or at least, fighting is emphasized as much as building. I want the other 3x's to be the focus, and don't really care if there is any actual fighting. Clash is also a lot longer than I am hoping for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesgocrazy wrote:
Solarius Mission Coming soon

Well, I'm not quite sure if a year from now is coming soon, but I will be keeping an eye on this one. Can't say I'm too hopeful of Spielworxx making a streamlines Civ game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1140014/3x-games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dios_et_dios wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:

Well, I mentioned in the OP that Clash is not what I am looking for. Not really any easier to teach IMO, but mostly because the focus of the game really is on fighting. Or at least, fighting is emphasized as much as building. I want the other 3x's to be the focus, and don't really care if there is any actual fighting. Clash is also a lot longer than I am hoping for.

Doh, sorry! I missed that tucked at the end of the paragraph.

Sorry to hear you didn't like it. My games of Clash usually don't include too much fighting. I guess my group plays differently!

The new edition isn't out yet, but you might want to check out Mare Nostrum: Empires in a few months. It's a rework of the older Mare Nostrum and it looks to be more in line with what you're looking for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
dios_et_dios wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:

Doh, sorry! I missed that tucked at the end of the paragraph.

Sorry to hear you didn't like it. My games of Clash usually don't include too much fighting. I guess my group plays differently!

The new edition isn't out yet, but you might want to check out Mare Nostrum: Empires in a few months. It's a rework of the older Mare Nostrum and it looks to be more in line with what you're looking for!

I had fun with it, but it wasn't what I was looking for in this spot of my collection. I have demoed Mare Nostrum: Empires after I kickedstarted it, and will be selling my copy once it comes in the mail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
papagamer72 wrote:

Thanks for the link. Is it a bad sign that I don't think any of those are what I'm looking for, although I don't think half of them count anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dios_et_dios wrote:
papagamer72 wrote:

Thanks for the link. Is it a bad sign that I don't think any of those are what I'm looking for, although I don't think half of them count anyways.

Haha. Not a bad sign at all. What you are asking for is VERY tough to pinpoint. I would like the same kind of game in my collection as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are not totally burned out on the mechanics of Catan, you might take a look at Catan: Explorers & Pirates. It is really built on expansion and exploration of uncharted lands. In fact, our plays have had much more expansion and less trading than in the Catan base game. With fishing and collecting spices and sending crew members to "fight" pirates, there are more ways to score points besides just building cities and a long road.

I was going to suggest Concordia since it gives a sense of expanding an economic empire, but there is no hidden information to be discovered. It is an excellent game, though, worth checking out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.