Subject: do walls block adjacency? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Alexander
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that if two figures are in spaces next to each other, but they're on different levels and the height difference meets or exceeds the lower figure's Height, the figures are neither adjacent nor engaged.

The rules also state that if two figures are in spaces next to each other, but there is a wall between them that is at least as tall as one of them, they are not engaged. The rules do not say they aren't adjacent, though. Should they, or do walls really never block adjacency?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 9: "A figure becomes engaged when it moves adjacent to an opponent's figure."

All adjacent enemy figures are engaged, so if a figure is not engaged with an enemy figure, it can't be adjacent. (I never really liked the way the HeroScape rules used the term "adjacent," but it is what it is.)

EDIT:
Two other related rules worth mentioning:
1) Figures with a range of 1 cannot attack figures on the hex next to them unless they are engaged (meeting the adjacency criteria).

2) When engaged (therefore, adjacent) with an opposing figure, your figure does not need LOS to attack the figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
From my many years of playing Heroscape (now I could be wrong but....) If your figure cannot see the other figure, you are not adjacent. This the same if the figure is a height equal or higher/lower than your figure. I'm pretty sure that this is the case.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 10: "A figure does not need line of sight to attack a figure that it is engaged with or adjacent to."

This rule was ported directly from HeroScape.
From the Swarm of the Marro Rulebook, pg. 11: "Note: A figure does not need Line of Sight to attack a figure that it is engaged with or adjacent to."

The rule was necessary as Q9 and certain dragons couldn't see figures through their shoulder pads/wings.

EDIT: Adding HeroScapers.com links to the rulebooks for reference.
Arena of the Planeswalkers: http://www.heroscapers.com/community/downloads.php?do=file&i...
Swarm of the Marro: http://www.heroscapers.com/community/downloads.php?do=file&i...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could have swarn that terrain blocks this. If there is a thin wall between 2 figures that are in adjacent spaces, you have to check for line of site.

If a figure is tall enough to see over the wall it can hit you.

Otherwise the wall would block attacks even from adjacent figures.

Isn't this listed under terrain or somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be misunderstanding your statements, but let me try to answer them...

MajaiofDreams wrote:
I could have swarn that terrain blocks this. If there is a thin wall between 2 figures that are in adjacent spaces, you have to check for line of site.

If there is a thin wall between two figures and that wall is taller than one (or both) of those figures, then the figures are not adjacent and, therefore, not engaged. If this is the situation and one of the figures has a ranged attack (i.e., a Range value of 2+ on it's card), the ranged figure checks LOS. If it has LOS to the opposing figure, it may still attack.

MajaiofDreams wrote:
If a figure is tall enough to see over the wall it can hit you.

This is incorrect. Both figures must be taller than the wall to be adjacent/engaged and make melee attacks. If either one is shorter, then see my previous paragraph regarding ranged attacks.

See Page 9 of the Rulebook under the heading "Becoming engaged" for details on terrain and engagement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.