Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, a quick 3 player game of Hol's der Geier before bed for my son (Matt), my wife (Helena) and myself. It starts off well for me, gaining a smallish mouse with a modest card on the first turn, but then goes rapidly downhill. The next cards are all negative, and I manage to get them all, my opponents managing to tie every single one (except when I picked a card one point lower than anyone else, of course).

Next there is a procession where Matt picks up a string of positive cards, once by outguessing us, but every other time because Helena picks the same card as me, five or six times in a row. I guess this is what being married for 19 years does to you! Finally my son picked up a small negative card and I picked up a positive or two.

Astonishingly Helena ended the game having won not a single card (and thus scored zero). My positive cards exactly cancelled all the vultures I'd acquired, leaving me similarly pointless, with Matt triumphing with an indisputably crushing 30 points.

Certainly the strangest game of HdG I've every played, though possibly the most entertaining!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Raj version of this, there is a 'tournament' game where you play to either 101 or 71 points. The winner of each round gets an escalating bonus: 1 point for winning the first round, 2 points for the second, and so on. We find it really fun to play to 71 points, which typically takes no more than 5 (and usually 4) rounds. The psychology of the game gets very interesting when you play it back to back several times with the same group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We often play, say, three rounds and add up the scores for an overall winner. Which is never me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.