Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I`m one of the lucky owners of Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit, while I enjoy it and I'm glad that I own it, it hits the table not very often.

As a Star Wars fan, gamer and Star Wars games fan, of course I'm very interested in this game.
But since I have lately quite a problem justifying new purchases, because I have so many unplayed and underplayed games, I ask myself (and I sure many other owners of Queen's Gambit ask themselves the same question)is it worth to get it, too.

I don't want a game to replace QG and I don't want a "dumbed down" version of it, so is it different and still interesting enough to warrant a purchase?

Since I live in Germany and first online prices seem to indicate that this is double the price in Euros than it is bucks in the U.S. (and I'm speaking of the standard version here)and the components really don't seem to blow you away, the most important question is: "Is the gameplay worth it?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
The greatest political storm flutters only a fringe of humanity. But an ordinary man and an ordinary woman and their ordinary children literally alter the destiny of nations. GK Chesterton
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
But since I have lately quite a problem justifying new purchases, because I have so many unplayed and underplayed games, I ask myself (and I sure many other owners of Queen's Gambit ask themselves the same question)is it worth to get it, too.

I have not played it. Therefore, I'm probably one of the most unhelpful people to answer this question for you.

That being said, it looks like this is somewhat "dumbed down" of QG, playing in only 30-45 minutes. If QG doesn't make it to your table, and this is 2x the cost due to shipping... I would pass.

Rather, what you really need is more TIME to play QG and other games!

That doesn't answer your final question, "Is the gameplay worth it?" Hopefully someone who has played this can give you a better reply than mine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both games, have played Queen's Gambit many times but Risk: Star Wars just twice. My impression so far is that the latter is a very stripped down shadow of the former, and while entertaining enough in my opinion its primary (and almost only) comparative merit is its short play time.

A lot of individually minor omissions were made from Gambit to simplify/shorten the game for Risk: Star Wars, but collectively they add up to stripping out some of its soul.

Examples:

The Endor battle basically replaces the Anakin raid on the control ship. Both are just tossing dice and checking the results, but the former removes any choice in placement of opposition and mathematically makes such action by the Empire of limited payoff until the Rebellion has progressed past the halfway mark. Anticipate too early the need to impede Endor progress, and you've basically just wasted your time (pity the Empire player having a handful of Endor/Vader cards early game).

The Emperor's Throne Room fight replaces the Generator battle. While movement in the latter was always of little consequence in Gambit, there was still a offense-defense counter result mechanic. In Risk it is basically just counting how many times heads comes up on four tossed coins. All in all that wouldn't be that bad of a simplification, except once the conflict is resolved there is no impact on the rest of the game other than the bonus cards received. While anyone familiar with Gambit knows the value of a run of bonus cards your opponent cannot respond to, the expense of spending likely more cards to reach that point (and losing tempo elsewhere doing so) for a random payoff is questionable. Furthermore in Gambit the winning unit(s) can affect the Palace fight, and in some rare cases are instrumental in swinging the results - in Risk (except for a corner case) the board section and card symbols basically become worthless once the fight is over. There really should be some more significant game impact for this in Risk (maybe give the winning side a "one time cancel of an opponent's future card after it is revealed" or some such), as it stands I'm almost convinced the Throne Room fight can safely be ignored and may in fact be advantageous to do so.

The Death Star fleet battle replaces both the Theed Palace and Naboo Plains battles, being closer to the former in terms of importance (in Gambit the Naboo Plains is basically just a card engine). Again, Risk removes the mechanic of defense against attacks, simplifying things to "more numerous unit types are easier to hit" which on the surface is the net result in Gambit. However in Gambit the less numerous units are more effective offensively, while (except for the Executor) in Risk the less numerous units are only just harder to hit - offense is strictly an issue of numeric density. So the problem is less numerous unit types lack the ability to turn a card action into an effective offensive punch without spending more card actions to group the few you have into sufficient numbers. And statistically they aren't so much harder to hit that their small numbers can't get whittled down to an ineffective force anyway.

Of course unlike unit types can be combined in a single sector, but that eliminates any the defensive advantage (low hit results are applied accordingly to hit what can be hit) other than making the sector harder to clear completely. Offensively there is no benefit, as it takes spending different card actions to get only partial moves/attacks from a composite force.

Which leaves another aspect of combining unit groups - it removes an aspect in Gambit of units getting in each others way or being vulnerable to elimination, dumbing down (along with units having no range) another tactical consideration.

Basically conducting the fleet battle is just trying to preserve groups of high combat density, balancing vulnerability to attrition with the need to occupy/block certain end game goal positions. Admittedly this is the strategy of most military conflict themed games, except here the execution of that strategy is as simplistic as the statement. All in all its still an entertaining romp, but it is the primary (almost sole) engaging aspect of the entire game and lacks the variation and depth of its Gambit battle counterparts.

In a nutshell, I rank Queen's Gambit as a solid 8, almost a 9. Risk: Star Wars I'd rank a 7, and don't see myself likely improving that consideration. The primary grace of the latter is its fast playing time means the game is over before the entertainment thrill fully fades to noticing the lack of depth. As such I feel its still a keeper, maybe even worth upgrading to the Black Edition for aesthetic reasons, but only if the cost (either edition) is reasonable. I'm fairly certain if the price was double, after having played the game, I wouldn't have purchased it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. It isn't.

Yes, it is?

To me, it's not really like Queen's Gambit anymore than San Juan is like Puerto Rico, or Space Hulk Death Angel is like Space Hulk. Or more apt, C&C Ancients to Battlecry...at least to a degree.

Are there similarities...yes...there are.

However, there are differences as well. For example, the space battle is distinctly different to me than the battle on the plains, and the Jedi Battle is different as well. For starters, the hitting method is more like Axis and allies than like Battle Lore, and of course the theme is different, and the fighters and Death Star as well as the Executor add a different type of theme as well.

It is simpler in the way it is played and accessed then Queen's Gambit.

If you have a lot of games already, the simplicity of this game may not be one that you want to spend time with.

On the otherhand, if you don't mind a few similarities, but with different themes, combat systems, and other items, then you could probably enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having not played it yet, I would say yes. I think it's worth owning both.

Every review I've seen has said that the new game is easier to setup and plays much faster than The Queen's Gambit. That means you're more likely to get it to the table and play it more often.

Also, arguably, for many Star Wars fans, the Return of the Jedi theme in the new game is superior to the Episode I theme of The Queen's Gambit.

I'm not saying you should sell your copy of The Queen's Gambit, of course. Sometimes, a richer, deeper experience is desirable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
Reasons I like "Risk: Star Wars"

1) More approachable. Theme, and mechanics.

2) 3 Fronts vs 4 Fronts of Queen's Gambit.
This ties in with the above but it is the crux of my argument; and its undoing. I like that 2 fronts are literally necessary. While the 3rd is about advantage. In QG, only 2 fronts are necessary, the other can add 'push' (Jedi) and the ground war is the Lightsaber equivalent (aka gained advantage). My memory is foggy on QG, but mechanics of Gungans merge with Theed in Risk's Space Battle. The Clearing a Sector= 1 Order, while not just being a needless fight is important to me.

Executor and Death Star, are the biggest differences. You have a deploy center that have a punch, the other gears up go NUKE SECTORS!!!

3) Rules = put out tokens or roll dice... the end.
Simplicity is nice. Overly simplified, and the imbalance is not immediately apparent.

SUMMARY:
Price is everything. $20 USD, worth it. $40... ha ha ha, nope. This is not about Black Edition, more like the value. This is better than a Mass Market game, if at Mass Market prices
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
China
Guangzhou
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
Since I live in Germany and first online prices seem to indicate that this is double the price in Euros than it is bucks in the U.S. (and I'm speaking of the standard version here)and the components really don't seem to blow you away, the most important question is: "Is the gameplay worth it?"
Who is your most likely opponent?

If you are going to play against children, go ahead and get it. If you want to play against a peer that you would otherwise play Queen's Gambit against if you had the time, pass. It is a pure dice chucker with the extent of strategy simply pressing any temporary advantage you get in the space battle. The Risk sub-name actually fits perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean T
United States
Tucson
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
I don't want a game to replace QG and I don't want a "dumbed down" version of it, so is it different and still interesting enough to warrant a purchase?"

I've owned/own both games but sold QG long ago due to the amount of setup and play time required for it.

While I suppose you could call R:SW a "dumbed down" version of QG, I prefer to call it a "streamlined" version. If you want a game that feels similar to QG, but can be setup and played in 20-30 mins, then R:SW (standard edition) might be a good purchase. Just remember it's a light weight strategy game you can play as an opener or with younger or more casual gamers.

But I wouldn't say it offers anything significantly different from QG from a gameplay perspective.

Hope it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanT wrote:

I've owned/own both games but sold QG long ago due to the amount of setup and play time required for it.

I get the "set up" problem with Queen's Gambit, but out of curiosity, how long was it taking you to play? That's one thing I always like about Queen's Gambit, it was epic looking on the table, but a game was done in two hours or less, easily.

That said the 30 min. for the new Risk is 1/3 to 1/4 the playing time of ol' TQG, so I guess I could see that argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Starkiller
msg tools
Well I'm not one of the lucky owners of Queen's Gambit but from what I've seen of R: SW (I prefer to call it "The Endor/Emperor's Gambit" as it doesn't resemble Risk in the slightest and that's for the best as it only shares a few common elements but used entirely differently.) It's worth having if you have kids or want a more streamlined version that you can play in 30 - 60 minutes if you're short on time.

I've seen the similarities to QB but as I've said, streamlined. The Luke/Vader duel serves no other purpose than to add bonus orders which can turn the tide but nothing else. (However there are variants where the duel' s winner jumps in a fighter to join the space battle and provide bonuses to your rolls in the same vein as QB where Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan/Maul after winning could help in the palace battle.)The Endor track is a timer much like Anakin's space flight.

It's simple yes but house rules and variants add more fun.

Again, this is more for people who don't have QB but it is also easy to set up and play so even if you own it, this offspring can hit the table more often and if you do get it, I recommend The Black Series version as you'll get actual minis of the Death Star, Executor, and the Falcon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke O'Hearn
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played yet, but I am planning to but it despite being a lucky owner of QG.
The Jakster wrote:

I don't want a game to replace QG and I don't want a "dumbed down" version of it, so is it different and still interesting enough to warrant a purchase?

It looks like it's definitely "dumbed down" game. I want it for three reasons:

- The speed of play (and set-up) should be good for those occasions I have very little time or mental energy but still want to throw some dice.

- The simplicity (and short duration) should be a bonus when I'm playing with younger children.
My oldest played QG when she was 3yo, but my youngest struggles to finish a game of Candy Land if it takes too long.

- Variety. The game looks different enough to me that I would enjoy it as a variation, even if only on occasion.

Edit - no longer planning to buy this - wife came home with a copy today!

The Jakster wrote:

Since I live in Germany and first online prices seem to indicate that this is double the price in Euros than it is bucks in the U.S.

surprise
That is significant. I'm looking at prices in the $25 range - in Canadian dollars! For me that is easily worth it even just to play with kids (and one day grandkids).

I can't really tell you how to spend your money, as that's a very personal thing. But for a higher price point I totally see why you might be reluctant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke O'Hearn
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

KGBRadioMoskow wrote:

The Emperor's Throne Room fight replaces the Generator battle. While movement in the latter was always of little consequence in Gambit, there was still a offense-defense counter result mechanic.

Then you are not playing it right. Movement in the Generator room is paramount to optimal play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.