Oliver Kanand
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi, here you can see instructions to build a gaming table by yourself. As I built it, it had to meet some challenges:

- not to big, I have a small gaming room with sloped roof
- no food/drinks on the gaming area itself
- lighted compartments for all players
- inbuilt sound system
- something special for wow factor

You can see some further comments of me at the “pimped game of the month” august 2015 contest. If you like it move over there and just give me a thumb up. Thanks.
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/196972/60th-monthly-pimp-...

Some pictures first:

Further instructions down below:

Instruction key:
brown = wood / green = metal / red = plastic

Electricity:
In my instructions I didn’t include the electrical installation although you can see it at one of the real pictures. I think you have to have some basic skills to do this by yourself and if you have them you don’t need an instruction how to do it. So it is redundant. In the body of the carcass I installed a subwoofer with two satellite boxes as well as all the power adapters of the LED stripes for ambient lighting and lighting of the compartments. Before placing the gaming area on top of the carcass you have to install the complete electric and drill some holes for the cables.

Material:
I would recommend taking hard wood like beech. I didn’t used wood glue, all the screws and the metal fittings/brackets are doing a good job in making this thing solid and stable. It is really heavy but you can add wood glue of course. Furthermore I would recommend pre-drilling with a small wood drill before inserting a screw just to make sure it doesn’t splinter.

Tools:
If you don’t have a chance to let saw the wood panels/boards at a store you’ll need a circular saw for sure, but you don’t need one if a store does this work for you. You will need a jigsaw for some small notches you have to saw for cables or metal fittings. A cordless screwdriver really helps as well as an oscillating sander. Doing these things manually is a lot of work. In addition I used a cordless drill driver for pre-drilling and making some holes for cables.

Adjusting the table:
You’ll have to adjust a little to your needs and the material you can buy. If you have bigger cups/bottles your bottle holders should have holes with a bigger radius, you need bigger plastic flush sockets and the bottle holder by itself has to be a little bit wider of course. If you have rather short persons in your gaming group you should think about reducing the height of the compartments/carcass to reduce overall height of table. Maybe using 12 cm or 15 cm instead of the 20 cm I used could help. Keep in mind this reduces the space for electric installation in the carcass as well, so you have to take smaller hardware.

Last words:
So what are you waiting for? Happy constructing ;-)
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool Table Oliver!

Can you take a single image of your table and put it in your gallery so that I can link to it for the BGG Table list? Right now all the images are just one very long image which will not work.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meaker VI
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that's a lot of brackets! With that many, you could probably save money buying a router and making connections that way. Definitely using dowels and a drill, as you'd need the drill anyway for driving the screws. You could also just butt-joint everything with glue and clamp it down. Brackets are generally only for parts you want to be easily disassembled or to reinforce weak areas because they're expensive.

Look good regardless!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kanand
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kaiyoot wrote:
Cool Table Oliver!

Can you take a single image of your table and put it in your gallery so that I can link to it for the BGG Table list? Right now all the images are just one very long image which will not work.

Thanks!

Yeah, I will do it tomorrow. I'll sent you a message once i did it. Any special requirements for the picture?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is good if it shows the whole table and any features it has. You could have a few cup holders installed, the lights on, etc... I see enough in your existing images for the feature list. I just need a nice picture of it in action that isn't a million pixels long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
Building this. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow. But some day.

I already have some ideas for modifications. One being using dowels or pocket holes instead of so many brackets. The second will be to find legs that have screw out feet. This will help me level it in the basement, where the floor is sloped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great design! The drink holders and the LED lights are very stylish! Can you remove the (plexi?) glass surface to play on the green cloth?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kanand
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
acedaryl1 wrote:
Building this. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow. But some day.

I already have some ideas for modifications. One being using dowels or pocket holes instead of so many brackets. The second will be to find legs that have screw out feet. This will help me level it in the basement, where the floor is sloped.

Yes modificate it to your liking. I have legs that have screw outs actually. I bought them at ikea here in germany. It seems you get them in USA too. I looked at the american online store. Each for 4.00$. Here is the link:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70217973/

smithlucas wrote:
Great design! The drink holders and the LED lights are very stylish! Can you remove the (plexi?) glass surface to play on the green cloth?

Yes you can remove it. I usually only use the plexiglass if the board tends to warp. It fits perfectly in the wooden border so that I have to use suckers to get it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gage
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Great idea on the removable drink holders -- simple and effective.

I also really like the lighting under the table surface and the generous "play mat" area.

I wonder about the lighting near the table surface. Do these LED strips provide enough illumination to read the board information without additional general lighting of the room? Do these lights create shadows across the board? How do you like this feature?

Great job in both design and documentation. Congratulations and thank you very much for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kanand
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Remediator wrote:
Great idea on the removable drink holders -- simple and effective.

I also really like the lighting under the table surface and the generous "play mat" area.

I wonder about the lighting near the table surface. Do these LED strips provide enough illumination to read the board information without additional general lighting of the room? Do these lights create shadows across the board? How do you like this feature?

Great job in both design and documentation. Congratulations and thank you very much for sharing.

It depends on the color you use, because the led stripes on the surface can glow in different colors. If you use white or a bright blue/green/yellow you can read a lot on the board and it adds some lightning to the room without lighting it up completely of course. If you use darker colors like red, purple or a dark blue/green it is for pure background illumination. Either way it is not suitable for reading a long amount of text. You have the lighted compartements for doing so, they are providing a nice bright light where you can read cards and rule books easily. I can't give an ultimate information, because it depends on the LED stripes you will buy, there are differences for sure.

Edit: With white and the brightest blue of the my LED stripe you need no other source of lightning. You can read all informations on the board and it adds just enough lightning to give a horror RPG/boardgame the right touch. The corners of the room are sinking into darkness, the furniture and players are casting their shadows. Giving room for more darkness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bellgraph
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The lighting is great, that is going to be a must for my table when I get to making one.
Great Job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Tyrkin
Poland
Gdańsk
Pomorskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GENIOUS!!!!!

Board game tables are expensive as hell nowadays! With your guide, we can not only make a table of our own, but also personalize it to fit our deepest needs! Thanks !!!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kanand
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would be glad if I could help some gamers by constructing their own table. :D Adjust it to your liking and of course if you have additional ideas by working at it feel free to write about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Graham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really like this table. I love the play space under the table but looks like it hits you about shoulder height when seated. Do people like that? Do they have to stand to make moves on the board, etc.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kanand
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Laporbo wrote:
Really like this table. I love the play space under the table but looks like it hits you about shoulder height when seated. Do people like that? Do they have to stand to make moves on the board, etc.?

General:
When seated it is just about the height of my armpits, so I could put my arms on the elevated border of the gaming table easily. Reaching the other side of the table I fall about 10cm to short, so I would have to stand up to reach the far borders of the table. In most games I played I don't have to reach there so this is not a real problem for me.

Miniature Boardgames:
The point of view at the miniatures is interesting. I'm a miniature painter and I do see the painting a lot better at this table. I do think it is a personal preference if you like it or not. My friends and I got used to it and we do like it. Alternatively you could shorten the table legs by about 10cms and cut the compartements in height about 5-10cm. Combined this would make a big difference regarding your point of view and the distance you can reach.

Tabletop gaming:
When playing tabletop I would recommend standing anyway (I just can't remain seated at this games no matter how hard I try). You don't have to bend down like you would at other tables, it is just the ideal height for tabletop gameing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.