Subject: New design for the variant Deck of Event Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
here are some sample cards. I decide to cope more with the general design of CW material and so to give up former images of monsters and units.

The rules are simpler than the preceding version and will be published soon thanks to test games here and irl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Black
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the wording is clearer and makes it easier to figure out what is happening. But I miss your previous artwork, which was very cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R. Nielsen-Doss
United States
Hudson Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have enjoyed playtesting and I think it will work great as an addition to the game.
Though while playing as Opener for the first time my strategy was horrible, I appreciated the chance to learn and see another version of the game.
Two thumbs up Bernard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed the game with the cards. As mentioned in the other thread, they shake things up, but not too much, which is a good thing.

Things that are not always clear to me is who controls what event / card / GOO. Might just be me. I think the text on the cards can still be improved upon. I'll give an example: The color out of space:

Quote:
Event phase: Roll a die, if result is strictly inferior to the double of the number of color tokens on the map, skip this phase until the end of the game, otherwise place a color token in any area without color token. In a area with a color token, all pain results become kills results. When at least an unit is killed in a battle in the area because of a pain transformed into a kill, after all post-battle effects, move the color token to an adjacent area free of color token.

Final Event phase: roll 2 dice, if any 6, remove a color token from the map.

Strictly inferior? Why not less than? The pain result becoming kills is part of the event phase, that doesn't seem correct? If I had to rewrite the card, it would be something like this:

Quote:
Event phase: Roll a die. If the result is less than double the number of color tokens on the map, discard this card. Otherwise place a color token in an area without color token.

Any phase: All pain results become kill results in areas with a color token. When at least one unit is killed in a battle this way, move that color token to an adjacent area without color token if able , after all post-battle effects.

Final even phase: roll 2 dice. On a 6 remove a color token from any area.

Sentences are shorter, removed some spelling mistakes (and probably made others in the process) and cleared things up. Changed the "skip this phase until the end of the game" to "discard this card". If that original complete phase is skipped till the end of the game, there is no real need anymore, right? Of course, if the tokens stay active as well, then you certainly need to split the event phase as I did, and keep the card in play. Simply change "discard this card" with "skip this step until the end of the game" as you had before.

You could also shorten it by having dice roll conventions. E.g. "Roll 2 dice, if any 6 ..." can be "2d6 (6+):"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
I enjoyed the game with the cards. As mentioned in the other thread, they shake things up, but not too much, which is a good thing.

Things that are not always clear to me is who controls what event / card / GOO. Might just be me. I think the text on the cards can still be improved upon. I'll give an example: The color out of space:

Your are absolutely right. Although the rules of v2 aren't finished, they will come with a simplification on how to spread the cards management and how to determine who rules each card. The test games shows that these rules were uselessly too complicated and that it tends to give a lot of cards to one or two players.

Next to continue simplification, Event Phase of the event cards will merge with the official event phase of the expansions maps.

Kwakkie wrote:

Quote:
Event phase: Roll a die, if result is strictly inferior to the double of the number of color tokens on the map, skip this phase until the end of the game, otherwise place a color token in any area without color token. In a area with a color token, all pain results become kills results. When at least an unit is killed in a battle in the area because of a pain transformed into a kill, after all post-battle effects, move the color token to an adjacent area free of color token.

Final Event phase: roll 2 dice, if any 6, remove a color token from the map.

Strictly inferior? Why not less than? The pain result becoming kills is part of the event phase, that doesn't seem correct? If I had to rewrite the card, it would be something like this:

Quote:
Event phase: Roll a die. If the result is less than double the number of color tokens on the map, discard this card. Otherwise place a color token in an area without color token.

Any phase: All pain results become kill results in areas with a color token. When at least one unit is killed in a battle this way, move that color token to an adjacent area without color token if able , after all post-battle effects.

Final even phase: roll 2 dice. On a 6 remove a color token from any area.

Sentences are shorter, removed some spelling mistakes (and probably made others in the process) and cleared things up. Changed the "skip this phase until the end of the game" to "discard this card". If that original complete phase is skipped till the end of the game, there is no real need anymore, right? Of course, if the tokens stay active as well, then you certainly need to split the event phase as I did, and keep the card in play. Simply change "discard this card" with "skip this step until the end of the game" as you had before.

You could also shorten it by having dice roll conventions. E.g. "Roll 2 dice, if any 6 ..." can be "2d6 (6+):"

Thanks, i will reword this text taking into account your remarks to get things clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Note that i buff a little Atlach-Nacha to make him stronger. His strenght weakening with his life makes him too easy to eliminate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.