Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Hamel
United States
Pacific
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,
I have had this game a while but am just now digging in.
Is this all about fighting or are there puzzles?
Please tell me there is more to it than fighting rats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Held
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This shark, swallow you whole.
badge
I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
The game was originally titled "Rat Fighters, Inc."

They're incorporated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
auge wrote:

Yes, there is also fighting cockroaches, spiders and centipedes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. There are spiders and centipedes too.

There is much more to this game than fighting rats, it seems insulting to try and summarize everything that this game is into "fighting rats"

I recommend really digging in to the story and play through some scenarios to see how they differ and how the story comes to life. I also recommend reading anything

Michael
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Has written on the matter because his enthusiasm is contagious and I think even someone on the fringe who finds themselves only moderately interested can get pulled in after reading some of his reviews.

I hope you can find more out of this game than what your post has suggested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hamel
United States
Pacific
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This is my hope as well, I have not played it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hamel
United States
Pacific
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hope that there is more to it than rolling dice and fighting. It is a hlwell thought of game, lots of folks like it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hamel
United States
Pacific
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A buddy just told me this stuff:

There are side quests that you have to decide if you want to do in a mission. You play the game and you have a timer you are fighting against. The side quests will take more time so you have a greater chance of failing if you do them verses if you don't.
But you usually get better rewards for completing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sinclair
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I encourage you to play the game so you can have an informed opinion of your own.

Oh, yes, and it is about rolling dice and playing cards...its a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
auge wrote:
Hi there,
I have had this game a while but am just now digging in.
Is this all about fighting or are there puzzles?

Yes there are puzzles. Sometimes in the form of figuring out how to get from point A to point B. The correct path is sometimes not readily apparent. There are chapters where you need to negotiate obstacles or find an item or rescue someone. You may have to work with specific mice, or without specific mice.

All of this is done while fending off minions. This is a board game. But there is more to the board game than combat. Downwood adds more to this. But personally Id like to see more branching path options and non-com puzzles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hamel
United States
Pacific
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please don't think that I am complaining about a game I have yet to play.
I loaned it to one of the members of the game club I run to learn and teach me how to play it, this is her first attempt to learn and teach with no assistance.

Of course I will play it a few times and then judge if it should remain in my collection.

I am merely asking you folks if it is just a roll dice and compare states game. It is rated a medium light / medium here on BGG and I am just not seeing how that can be accurate just by reading the rule book and watching the game on TableTop... I have to be missing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hamel
United States
Pacific
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Yes there are puzzles. Sometimes in the form of figuring out how to get from point A to point B. The correct path is sometimes not readily apparent. There are chapters where you need to negotiate obstacles or find an item or rescue someone. You may have to work with specific mice, or without specific mice.

All of this is done while fending off minions. This is a board game. But there is more to the board game than combat. Downwood adds more to this. But personally Id like to see more branching path options and non-com puzzles.

OK, that's helpful.
Thank you for taking the time to give a real answer and not be sarcastic, its appreciated.

This game may be a bit light for my group... but I can play with my son.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are not many games where you can catapult a grape with a fork and spin a token to see if the grape splats upon landing or not. <3

But yes, the combat is not where the game shines imo, though it is often tense... and when you e.g. occasionally get Collin to go on a rampage it is very satisfying (that was my awesome experience of boiler room in Ch. 5).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Capter 1 is pretty tough. but it also shows off a few elements other than combat. Like dealing with the environment in the form of the sewer, or options to use the things you find to get to places not normally accessible. Such as via the fork. As well as non-combat hazards like the crow.

The fact that Mice & Mystics is more than a dungeoncrawler is part of its attraction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game shines in the story telling. It's a blast to work your way through the scenarios fighting the Rats...but the Rats are only part of the narrative that you're creating with your family or friends.

Combat is a big part of the game, but only in the sense that any good story needs an 'evil' to triumph over (or get crushed by).

Great game. Lots of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Weber
United States
Coal Valley
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
I really just love games
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Will Weaton said it best, this is an RPG in a box. So play it that way. If you feel you are only killing rats, don't play it that way. GM it and make some small tweaks. Games should be fun and this one is easy to modify.

This first scenario is more linear because you are learning the ropes and characters, but you should be able open things up after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
webs05 wrote:
I think Will Weaton said it best, this is an RPG in a box. So play it that way.

Except it isnt even remotely an RPG.

But you are free to tweak things if so desired. Like the aformentioned use of the 5 mice for chapter 1 or other thematic touches.

Be aware though that leaving out combats will make the game much easier to win.

If playing out the story is all that matters then this is fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hamel
United States
Pacific
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I am misunderstood.
I have absolutely no problem kicking the paints off of rats, roaches or spiders.
I am just hoping there is more to the game than choosing a path, meeting a bad guy and trying to out roll him.
I generally play things like Dead of Winter, Alchemists, Eldritch Horror, Edo and Terra Mystica.
Of course I know that Mice & Mystics is in no way as heavy as those other games as it is a family weight game . . . But I hope there are interesting choices.
I am going to try to get it to the table this weekend, we will see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
There are interesting choices, but 90% of them is within the context of battle, if that's what you're asking about. In that sense, yes, the game is mostly about fighting rats.

"I generally play things like Dead of Winter, Alchemists, Eldritch Horror, Edo and Terra Mystica." - these games have almost nothing in common :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hamel
United States
Pacific
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
There are interesting choices, but 90% of them is within the context of battle, if that's what you're asking about. In that sense, yes, the game is mostly about fighting rats.

"I generally play things like Dead of Winter, Alchemists, Eldritch Horror, Edo and Terra Mystica." - these games have almost nothing in common

What they have in common are lots and lots of meaningful choices.

Perhaps I am looking at this wrong, you said many of the choices are about how to handle combat. Maybe this game will be more tactical than strategic. That changes my perception.
Are you saying that the fun is in how we handle being attacked by three rats and a spider while two of us are pretty damaged and one is only a hit point from death AND we have only two empty cheese spaces before a surge?

So, a famaly weight tactical game resting on a storybook adventure.

This could be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
auge wrote:
Perhaps I am looking at this wrong, you said many of the choices are about how to handle combat. Maybe this game will be more tactical than strategic. That changes my perception.
Are you saying that the fun is in how we handle being attacked by three rats and a spider while two of us are pretty damaged and one is only a hit point from death AND we have only two empty cheese spaces before a surge?

So, a famaly weight tactical game resting on a storybook adventure.

This could be fun.

That is were you should be looking for fun, at least in this game.

Sebastian said it right: most if not all choices involve fighting/combat. If that's not your thing, steer clear from Mice & Mystics. However, it's not just mindless dice rolling (though there's undeniably a lot of that too). As a chapter progresses your (admittedly - battle) choices will gain more meaning, especially if you're not playing with children and you adhere to the rules faithfully, which makes the game harder. You'll have to decide how to maximize damage, minimize risk, how to best spend (and who's) cheese on what abilities, what ability to buy for a particular character and whether or not you want to risk delaying an explore action to gain extra search chances at the cost of added cheese to the minion wheel.

So, yes. It's not really an RPG, it IS light and it IS mostly about fighting rats, roaches, spiders and centipedes. But have you ever considered the fun of slaying rats, roaches, spiders and centipedes? By the dozen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hamel
United States
Pacific
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I started a campaign with three other adult players.
I am Nez the Tank.
It is so much fun finding armor for him and hitting things with my hammer.

Nez is slow, not too smart but man he has a big hammer... lol.

The fights were pretty much the same, until the first centaped dropped in, we had to start to get a bit tactical. I ran in and started tanking while what's her name with the arrows attacked at range the wizard was looking around for stuff and the healer was ready to heal me.

And this is just chapter one... lol.

So, thanks to all the folks that talked me into having this game hit my table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear you liked it.

Though sounds like you were using Lili? She is not availible until after chapter 2.

Note the notes on the chapters for party loadout. Some have specific rules for who to take and who not. Its not an RPG where everyone has a personal character. There will be times when characters are unavailible.

Chapter 1 calls for 4 characters. If you had just three players then you should have had the 4th mouse run by whomever felt like it. That you survived chapter 1 with just 3 mice is impressive though. Others struggle with the full compliment of 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hamel
United States
Pacific
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Good to hear you liked it.

Though sounds like you were using Lili? She is not availible until after chapter 2.

Note the notes on the chapters for party loadout. Some have specific rules for who to take and who not. Its not an RPG where everyone has a personal character. There will be times when characters are unavailible.

Chapter 1 calls for 4 characters. If you had just three players then you should have had the 4th mouse run by whomever felt like it. That you survived chapter 1 with just 3 mice is impressive though. Others struggle with the full compliment of 4.

No, you misunderstand . . . it was me and three other adult players.
Also, it was not Lili . . . it was Filch that was shooting arrows at range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.