Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking at the maps and counters art work for the 2nd edition of SoS and I noticed that the Maxim MMG has a fire cost of 4APs (3 in SoS first edition or in AtB).

Is this definitive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
maedhros wrote:
I was looking at the maps and counters art work for the 2nd edition of SoS and I noticed that the Maxim MMG has a fire cost of 4APs (3 in SoS first edition or in AtB).

Is this definitive?

That's the "Maxim MMG" vs the "MMG Maxim"..? I think you're actually slightly mistaken somewhere (?) as I have both first editions, and PoH and have two different chits to remember exist.

Thanks Academy Games! Not at all confusing in any way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In PoH, the replacement Maxims have a fire cost of 3, but also a defence flank value of 11 (rather than a value of 10 that followed in later publications).

Storms of Steel changed the fire cost to 4, but dropped the flank value to 10.

Finally, 2nd edition Awakening the Bear returned the fire cost 3 and kept the reduced flank value of 10.

There is this early link in which Uwe gave his rationale for the change LINK - https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/431173/new-unit-stats

I'm not sure why AG changed the value back again in 2nd edition AtB - unless they had to retain the original value so as to keep well play tested scenarios working. so in effect it remains correct that the value is 3 for AtB and 4 for SoS, so that the scenarios still work.

(edited after above link found).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your right, it was 4Aps to fire the Maxim MMG in SoS first edition.
I was sure it was 3. Played too much AtB...

But why 4aps in one game and 3aps in another?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
normsmith wrote:
In PoH, the replacement Maxims have a fire cost of 3, but also a defence flank value of 11 (rather than a value of 10 that followed in later publications).

Storms of Steel changed the fire cost to 4, but dropped the flank value to 10.

Finally, 2nd edition Awakening the Bear returned the fire cost 3 and kept the reduced flank value of 10.

There is this early link in which Uwe gave his rationale for the change LINK - https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/431173/new-unit-stats

I'm not sure why AG changed the value back again in 2nd edition AtB - unless they had to retain the original value so as to keep well play tested scenarios working. so in effect it remains correct that the value is 3 for AtB and 4 for SoS, so that the scenarios still work.

(edited after above link found).

SoS was released before PoH so you have your sequence wrong, though I am too lazy to go and check the stats for units in each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that would tend to reinforce a view that the counter values in subsequent editions are remaining the same as the original edition they relate to, to ensure scenario balance is not undermined.

i.e. CoH and 2nd edition AtB are both supporting the scenarios of 1st edition AtB and that 2nd edition SoS is supporting the first edition of SoS.

Does the Fire Fight Generator differentiate between the games ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, I do own SoS first edition. Will buy AotB second edition. Are these the only differences in the editions you mentioned?
I would really prefer to stick with the now owned SoS first edition, I am just wondering if it is compatible with the firefight generator and the future solo expansion.
I really don't want to sell the Sos first edition and to have to re-buy the SoS second edition. Any clues?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex, we will be posting any differences soon. At this time, the main changes are in the firefights, which we will be posting free of charge on our website.
Other than that, the maps and counters have 100% upgraded artwork. The trucks and AT guns have modified defense colors - both will be red.

Lastly, the Maxim costs more to fire at Kursk, since in relationship to other units and weapons, its relative effect is less than at the beginning of the invasion.

Sincerely,
Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.