Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Famiglia» Forums » Rules

Subject: When cards are drawn, why are they placed "with a small gap next to the old cards"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Blanco
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? (James 2:15-16)
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules in English, page one state:

"...the player draws an equal number of cards from the draw stack to add to the Street. He places the new cards with a small gap next to the old cards in the street."

and

"He can always take any one of the cards on the Street, but must place the new cards slightly separately on the Street."

Is there a gameplay mechanic I missed in the rules that requires separating the newly drawn cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geese wrote:
The rules in English, page one state:

"...the player draws an equal number of cards from the draw stack to add to the Street. He places the new cards with a small gap next to the old cards in the street."

and

"He can always take any one of the cards on the Street, but must place the new cards slightly separately on the Street."

Is there a gameplay mechanic I missed in the rules that requires separating the newly drawn cards?

My English rules pdf doesn't have the word "gap" anywhere; I'm not sure what the context you're referring to is, but I guess it's this:
my rules pdf wrote:
If there is no value 0 in the Street at the beginning of his turn, the player can choose to discard any one of the face-up
cards on the Street. Based on the value of the card he just discarded, the player draws cards from the draw stack to add
to the Street. The number of cards drawn is equal to the value of the card discarded.
He can continue to do this until there is at least one value 0 card on the street.

(Does that help?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
Galahad to the Rescue!
badge
May the Holy Grail protect me from these evil deeds!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. I believe this is just for players to keep track of how many cards they have drawn so they don't accidentally draw more or less cards than supposed. There is really no other reason in this game for you to keep cards on the street separate from one another. Also, there is only 1 street... so no. You missed nothing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blanco
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? (James 2:15-16)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to both for the responses. I was speculating that the "gap" was to keep the new cards from actually entering the Street until the player was done drawing (if this were the case, then only the cards in the Street at the beginning of the turn could be used to discard and draw new cards). But, that was only speculation based on not finding any other reference to the "gap" in the rules. (I have English, Rio Grande Games edition, btw).

But Pedro's explanation makes sense. Sounds like we were playing correctly (we ignored the gap).

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting; the pdf I have is also from Rio Grande Games. Apparently they have more than one version of their rules floating around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The newest print run of the English and Japanese version has slightly updated rules, which replace the old rules from older editions.

If you want to play with the new rules, you need to check the "gap" rule.

The "gap" rule slightly changes the Steps 1 and 4 of your turn:
If you add new cards to the Street in Step 1, in Step 4 you may only take a card from these newly drawn cards.

Best regards,

Henning
(2F-Spiele)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Henning wrote:
The newest print run of the English and Japanese version has slightly updated rules, which replace the old rules from older editions.

If you want to play with the new rules, you need to check the "gap" rule.

The "gap" rule slightly changes the Steps 1 and 4 of your turn:
If you add new cards to the Street in Step 1, in Step 4 you may only take a card from these newly drawn cards.

Best regards,

Henning
(2F-Spiele)

Thank you for stepping in with an official clarification. Will a pdf of the new rules be made available from either 2F-Spiele or Rio Grande for those of us who would like to update our older copies?

I'm also very curious to ask, do the new rules make any changes to the way that mercenaries are played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blanco
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, it looks like the new rules (my English Rio Grande edition is 2015) - do state under #4 "Playing the Game"

4. ...If the player added new cards to the Street at the beginning of his turn, he can only take one of these new cards!

While this makes the "gap" (referenced in #1 "Playing the Game") make sense - I'd like to point out that the rules don't explicitly point out the purpose of the gap.

I think it would have helped to explain the purpose of the gap when it was mentioned.

Anyways - I'm enjoying the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeong Wook Seo

South Korea
msg tools
I have a another question related "gap"

Can the player discard one of the new cards with a gap next to old cards?

or must discard only old card on the street.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
coldjungwook wrote:
I have a another question related "gap"

Can the player discard one of the new cards with a gap next to old cards?

or must discard only old card on the street.

I just picked up the game, and have yet to play it IRL, but after reading the rules it seems to me that step 1 allows you to pick any card from the street.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.