Subject: Ora et Labora or Le Havre rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Ernst
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw a post asking which is better Le Havre or Caverna and saw a lot of votes for Le Havre. I have Le Havre and it is really fun with me and my wife but I am thinking of getting Ora et Labora and maybe trading Le Havre. Which does everyone think is better Ora et Labora or Le Havre?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Milbrath
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven.
badge
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things. - Isaiah 45:7
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I prefer Ora et Labora over Le Havre. Something about Ora just clicked with me more. I know it gets flack for not having any randomness, but there is so much to do and explore in it. I do think both can rest comfortably on your shelf together, but if space is an issue, I vote for replacing Le Havre with Ora.

Edit: Another option to consider is Fields of Arle. It's a brilliant 1-2 player game. Very little tension and a lot to try to accomplish in very little time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are good games, but I find Ora a little too convoluted. The conversion chains are longer, and there is much more packed into it. Don't get me wrong, it is an excellent game, but I found Le Havre easier to teach, easier for new players to pick up, and there is much less to relearn if it's sat on the shelf for a few weeks. In the end, my decision came down to the fact that at their core, both are resource conversion games and I really don't need two of them, and of the two, Le Havre was a little more focused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ora is super fun, but the end game requirement for 2 is a bit weird. Sometimes it feels to me that whoever triggers the end game, loses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.