Chris Fernandez
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome back to the next installment of the monster reviews for the game Dicenstein!

For those of you unfamiliar with the game you should check out the website :

https://petersengames.com/dicenstein/

The Kickstarter is currently live! You can become part of funding for this game at :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1816687860/return-to-ca...

The rules for the game can be found here :

https://petersengames.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Dicenst...

We now have a play through video done as a tribute to table top with a local Az all things horror podcast, thehorrorshowchannel.com. The video can be found here :

http://youtu.be/pHuWUA29o9c

As always, on to the MONSTER!

This time we will be talking about the Vampire! This monster is one of the trickiest regarding his power! He has a high head stat, average attack stat, average move stat, average dig stat and a low health stat.

His ability "Mind Control" allows you to make an attempt on controlling an opposing monster! At the beginning of your turn before you move, if there is a monster in orthogonal line of sight from your monster you can attempt to Mind Control them! To do this you make a single roll (no rerolls) of attack dice equal to your head/reroll stat and your target does the same. If you have more 'hits' on your dice than or opponent you have Successfully Mind Controled their monster! You now get one full movement with their monster making appropriate attacks along the way, however, if you destroy another opponent with this controlled monster the owner gets the victory points and you get the trophy.

Here are each of the dice sides :
Head 3-brains
Head 3-brains
Body 4-health
Body 4-health, 1-brains
Arms 2-attack, 1-brains
Legs 2-movement, 2-dig

The Vampire is pretty average on his stats outside his head due to such a strong ability, but also since none of the stats are low besides his health you can easily fit him into your monster for the hopes of mind control! This ability allows you to break the 1 attack per opposing monster per turn as you can walk their monster into you during the mind control and then you can move into them on your movement! Alternatively if all the monsters on the board are at high health you can parade their monster around the board softening all the monsters up so you can sweep in for the VP's and trophies. Or if you're low on health you can use Mind Control to move the monster as far away from you as possible.

This ability although it is powerful, it is easily blocked by not ending your turn in orthogonal Line of Sight from the vampire. But sometimes its worth the Mind Control to get those dice you need to dig up or finish off that monster that is trying to limp away. Paired with the Clown the Vampire can have an extremely high brains stat making the Mind Control almost a guarantee and making retaliation a lot harder as you can place them just out of range due to the extra movement needed to enter your space.

I know to some players it doesn't seem as beneficial due to how easy it is to avoid and how average his stats are, but if having a vampire in your monster causes an opponent to not end on a location he wanted to because of mind control or if he builds his monster with more brains stats than he would normally to fight off your vampire then I think he his helping more than some of the other obvious abilities in the game. Generally once someone starts with the Mind Control Power in a game the vampire dice become a hot commodity as everyone needs to get in on the same action!

I hope you enjoyed this installment of the monster reviews! I will be back later in the week for another review! So let's hear what you want me to focus on!

-Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that mind control ability should bring some funny situations laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, mind control sounds absolutely evil!
And, as usual very thematic for the vampire.
I can just see Bela doing his hand gestures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I lost a Dicenstein game because of that mind control ability: I was forced to attack the meanest baddest monster on the board...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McGinty

Mesa
Arizona
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually want these dice to be sparkly. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
ashdrake wrote:

it's times like this when I'm so glad I know the art director will not agree
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The pink unicorn dice could be sparkly though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McGinty

Mesa
Arizona
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lugiber wrote:
The pink unicorn dice could be sparkly though.

Truer words have never been spoken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Bartholomew

Garland
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
ashdrake wrote:

Theorem: Vampires aren't sparkly.

Correlary: Twilight isn't about vampires.

QED.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McGinty

Mesa
Arizona
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
YeahTHATchucK wrote:
ashdrake wrote:

Theorem: Vampires aren't sparkly.

Correlary: Twilight isn't about vampires.

QED.

See I said sparkly dice and you immediately knew what I meant. It's funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Fleider
United States
Dallas
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
ashdrake wrote:

it's times like this when I'm so glad I know the art director will not agree

Harumph. If I had my way, the Vampire would be in black and white only and would disgorge a torrent of rats every time you opened the box. Waitaminute! I do have my way and it is black and white!

Now to work on that automatic rat disgorger...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.