Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Hughes
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello I've been playing a lot of GDWs Third world war and Avalon Hill's Tac Air and I wanted to play a smaller scale tactical level game like platoon or company sized. Would this be a good option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Foster
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not LNL's World at War?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert lindsay
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
It could be, but it's a very detailed and dense system. There is a fair amount of record keeping also. But if you like TWW you may go for it. It does do a good job of showing the soviet 'battle drill' system in action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my favorite tactical ground warfare system of all time. Really showcases the difference in command and control between NATO and the Warsaw Pact, better than anything else out there.

It also has variable OOB and victory conditions for each side in each scenario, so replay value is amazingly high.

Did I mention limited intelligence?

Get it. Play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hughes
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you I think Im gonna get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris selman
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Check out myassaultpage.com for expansions to the series

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
johnny5 Is Alive
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the video tutorials from the Boots and Saddles site, really awesome stuff! https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8285/boots-saddles-assau...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Bryant
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CHF_90265 wrote:
Not LNL's World at War?

How do the two systems compare in terms of solitaire playability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Plymale
United States
Huddleston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both games and this IMHO.

Assault used hidden units with the back showing only formation and facing. Also if I remember right some of the paperwork it hidden until revealed at the appropriate time in the SOP.

The existing L&L system (don't know how the new owners will do things) has units visible but there are spotting requirements for units in cover. Unit activation is done by chit pull from a cup. I've done the games solo and it works great.

Hope this helps. I will point out there is Assault on Vassal for online play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.