Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I made it to Day 4 this time before the enemy battalions rolled into my Airbase. (Last time it was only Day 3!) Obviously I'm not an "advanced" level commander yet. But...is there any way to beat this scenario?

Israel is probably the worst place for a Holding Action since every battalion is mobile, and I always get the Command battalions that add 2 to the Assaults' movement rolls. Is it better to start off with fewer aircraft and save SO points for munitions and inevitable losses? Should you take out all the Commands on Day 1 and let the front line advance? (You only have to take out half a command to prevent it's SO-point loss)

Or just use cannons-only so you don't spend any SO points on weapons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaaand it's questions like this that make TAL so fun.

I tend to be in the "fewer aircraft more firepower" camp. I figure that if each aircraft can chop a battalion in half (or better) on it's own, I should be okay, so I just load them up to nuke as much as they can. I also prioritize Commands to try to slow the advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Fewer aircraft means fewer pilots means a lower overall capacity to absorb stress, and pretty soon no one can fly. This is fine if you can destroy the Command units and other battalions with negative effects and then take a day off. But I think the key is sortie generation, and that means you need lots of Stress capacity. More pilots flying more of the time with dumb bombs do more damage than a few pilots flying fewer missions with smart weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hmmm.... two very valid, but opposite strategies. I myself am also in the "Fewer sorties, more bang for the buck" camp, and usually have good luck with that. Stress usually isn't a factor for me to be worried about (though it must be managed carefully). Concerned? Yes? But worried? No.

The biggest worry I do have with the "fewer sorties" strategy is maintenance. Fewer aircraft means more repair action required on each aircraft to keep them mission capable from day to day. That gets me more than stress does.

But, as with all great games such as this, YMMV!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The deftest of hackers
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Andrew. I will ALWAYS spend as much as I can on aircraft at the start of a campaign. My rationale is that you can't buy aircraft any other time - so it makes sense (to me) to load up while I can.

In my last game (WW3 General War) I flew three missions on virtually every day. Typically one of those missions was one where I was just using dumb-bombs and cannons - but that is fine if the goal is to halve the battalion (or maybe just finish off one that has already been halved). Stress wasn't an issue because I always had a fresh pilot to bring in while others were recovering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried picking high-stress Pilots with good Cannon skills, and actually won! With just two Thunderbolts and two Apaches! (Which is the name of the game)

But...the whole thing came down to a single die roll. One battalion remained next to my airbase- at full strength of course. All that planning and it came down to a 60/40 die roll!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Köppen
Sweden
Nybro
Småland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying this combo out for the first time (and recording it), didn't know it was a tough one, just thought it looked like a cool combo.

I've gone with 2 Apache Longbows (w/ Slow pilots), 1 Thunderbolt (w/ Fast pilots) and 1 Predator (to go with the Apaches and make them Fast). I've gone after battalions that provide bonus movement and those who reduce my SO-points.

I'm at day 4 at the moment and things are still tense, even though I've been lucky with advance rolls and events. All aircraft are flying damaged and trying to avoid even more damages. I can't wait to continue playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.