Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Duly
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What would people suggest as a learner's / easy set up for a young kid (8 years) first learning the game?

For his age I think he will need some structure to keep in mind when first building his army. Because even as an adult there can be some difficult choices when setting your pieces up!

Also, as one slight variant, I was thinking was on our first couple games to have each of our flags visible to the other player. I thought this might make the "goal" a bit easier for a kid to understand and keep focus on for the first couple games.

Any thoughts?

PS I have the "sci-fi" version of the game which has a smaller army and board, plus a new piece called a "spotter" which can kill units in front of itself if it guesses correctly. Very powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think you may be underestimating a young child's ability to solve problems. I think learning by doing is better than someone telling what strategy to use, and then discuss their choices afterwards.

You on the other hand should set yours up fairly random, without too much thought so as to make your own choices more difficult during the game.

My 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.