4 Posts

Dominion: Seaside» Forums » Rules

Subject: Official ruling on Ambassador "copies" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello all, thanks for the tons of rules clarifications over the years. I recently got Dominion and appreciated the help on the forum for a few things with that game. I like the game, and just got Seaside as my first expansion. It looks pretty great!

However, in the true spirit of a card game player who is OCD about card interpretation, I read about the Ambassador card before getting the expansion, and have just searched through the forums after getting the expansion, and I have still found no official response that I am aware of about whether the card(s) you return can INCLUDE the revealed card or whether you can only return "copies" of that card.

I did find other people with the same question, and other interpreations that it is silly to treat "copies" this way (which is understandable since I am a programmer and silly by nature).

However, the only official person I know by name is Donald X, and I didn't run across any replies or thumbs up by him on this. Maybe another official party replied and I did not recognize their name, and if so I'd love to be pointed to that post.

My understanding: After playing Ambassador, you reveal a card in your hand (which stays in your hand) and return 0, 1, or 2 "copies". You may choose to return the original revealed card as one of those "copies".

Even an official thumbs up would be awesome on this to nail it for posterity. Thanks for your patience, anyone who reads this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
GAFBlizzard wrote:
However, the only official person I know by name is Donald X, and I didn't run across any replies or thumbs up by him on this. Maybe another official party replied and I did not recognize their name, and if so I'd love to be pointed to that post.

My understanding: After playing Ambassador, you reveal a card in your hand (which stays in your hand) and return 0, 1, or 2 "copies". You may choose to return the original revealed card as one of those "copies".

Here I am! The system works.

You can return the original revealed card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Starbäck
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is that "a card" can be a physical card, but it can also be any card with that name -- it can mean the "token" or the "type". Any card in the token sense with that name is a "copy" of that card in the type sense.

When for example Wishing Well (in Intrigue) says "if it's the named card..." that isn't about one physical card (token), but about the type. Here "the card" doesn't refer to one specific physical card.

In Ambassador's "reveal a card" you are revealing a card in the type sense, even though you of course have to reveal a card in the token sense to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:

Here I am! The system works.

You can return the original revealed card.

After producing so many expansions, and making a super popular game, I am sort of astounded at you appearing 6 minutes after I post to answer a question that bothered only a few people.

Thanks so much for both the game and your years of support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.