Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Voices of SanSan: What theme(s) would you like to see Netrunner's next cycle explore? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
For our next episode of SanSan South, we would like to hear you ideas of what kinds of themes you'd like to see the next cycle explore. Locations, events, personalities or peoples. Maybe the very distant future? Where do you want Netrunner to take us next?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loc .
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mb
Mars colony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ailinoro wrote:
Mars colony.

On the back of that: Martian rebels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Nowhere. I'm not a terrible fan of this "themed cycle" idea. It forces the theme on lots of cards and I feel it's not working very well.

Nowhere. Just keep the game interesting and fresh, like with first two cycles - they didn't need any guiding theme to be cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Nowhere. I'm not a terrible fan of this "themed cycle" idea. It forces the theme on lots of cards and I feel it's not working very well.

Nowhere. Just keep the game interesting and fresh, like with first two cycles - they didn't need any guiding theme to be cool.

Spin did have a theme. Genesis kinda did too, but it was more just
"Core plus". Spin was supposed to be about the fight for public opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe, but it wasn't really clearly stated or promoted this way. And even if, this is a concept, an idea, and not exact thing, person or space. That is ok, because it still leaves a lot of space for design and interpretation.

India? Mars? Zzz...

Do you really think that leaflets from SanSan were cool or consistent in any way? Do you really care about what was on them? Do you even remember? It felt crappy and forced. Where are my text pieces from previous cycles? That was something I actually cared about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Mumbad is going to go more into politics, but I'm kinda sad it will be India-based politics, instead of global initiatives.

I'm done with locations, let's broaden the base a little (Unless they decide to do somewhere in the US SouthEast...)

We've had

Genesis - General
Spin - Public Opinion
Lunar - Moon (I think we're good with space for now)
SanSan - SanSan
Mumbad - Mumbad

Within those, certain packs had more specifics (The Underway --> Gang, etc...), etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
★★★★☆
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
You don't study scaring, you just do it.
badge
I'm not even breaking a sweat.
mbmbmbmbmb
The seaweed is always greener
In somebody else's lake
You dream about going up there
But that is a big mistake
Just look at the world around you
Right here on the ocean floor
Such wonderful things surround you
What more is you lookin' for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ailinoro wrote:
Mars colony.

Love the idea of a Mars colony cycle.

Also, I'd really love to see what Jack Weyland is up to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heisenberg wrote:
The seaweed is always greener
In somebody else's lake
You dream about going up there
But that is a big mistake
Just look at the world around you
Right here on the ocean floor
Such wonderful things surround you
What more is you lookin' for?

I'm on board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loc .
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mb
Sassycat wrote:
Ailinoro wrote:
Mars colony.

Love the idea of a Mars colony cycle.

Also, I'd really love to see what Jack Weyland is up to.

It would be interesting to see if they could link in more with the stories from the books and other android universe games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Do you really think that leaflets from SanSan were cool or consistent in any way? Do you really care about what was on them? Do you even remember? It felt crappy and forced. Where are my text pieces from previous cycles? That was something I actually cared about.

Oh man, couldn't disagree more. It was nice to get some background about Whizzard and CT and Andromeda, but the other half of Genesis was just book excerpts. And the six-part story about Nasir that went absolutely nowhere was somehow even worse than the one about Reina that was told through memos and lame chat logs (and a few news stories which were sort of similar to the SanSan inserts, in style if not in quality). The SanSan content was orders of magnitude better in every possible way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
Cycles being location centric keeps the setting from feeling like it's just homogenous generic Cyberpunk everywhere.

It's great for world building and makes the planet feel a lot more diverse and realistic.

Mars would be a great counterpoint to the Lunar cycle as a setting where the Runners have the edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theodorelogan wrote:
For our next episode of SanSan South, we would like to hear you ideas of what kinds of themes you'd like to see the next cycle explore. Locations, events, personalities or peoples. Maybe the very distant future? Where do you want Netrunner to take us next?

Suburbia.

Seriously. I can't remember a cyberpunk book that discusses what the suburbs would be like in such a setting. Presumably the universe isn't set so far into the future that all areas of single-family housing have been replaced. What would someplace like Orange County, California be like? Would it be incredibly boring or could they make it interesting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
I can't remember a cyberpunk book that discusses what the suburbs would be like in such a setting. Presumably the universe isn't set so far into the future that all areas of single-family housing have been replaced.

A lack of single-family housing probably isn't as far into the future as you might think. Especially when arcologies exist, there's not much reason for suburbs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
★★★★☆
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
You don't study scaring, you just do it.
badge
I'm not even breaking a sweat.
mbmbmbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
theodorelogan wrote:

Suburbia.

Seriously. I can't remember a cyberpunk book that discusses what the suburbs would be like in such a setting. Presumably the universe isn't set so far into the future that all areas of single-family housing have been replaced. What would someplace like Orange County, California be like? Would it be incredibly boring or could they make it interesting?

Snow Crash does this kind of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
theodorelogan wrote:

Suburbia.

Suburbia - aka "Housing Development Towers"

Has everything you need, you never have to leave the building! As a bonus, you are steps away from work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gabel
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Secretly John Masanori
mbmbmbmbmb
For me:

Mars - This one is obvious, but I also hope that it either comes a few cycles down the road, or even gets a big box all it's own, as they have never touched on mars besides mentioning it in the Android lore, and I want it to get lots of attention.

Military/war - This was kinda implied during the Genesis Cycle, but that was between the corp and the runner. I want to see a Russian hacker using military grade hacking software, and corporate military holding go at it, like the "Screaming Fist" from Neuromancer.

An Election - Like the Presidential Election for the United States. Both the Corp and the runner want to rig the results for their own end, that sort of thing. Sounds fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
The mumbad cycle looks like it has lots of "political" stuff, so I guess that sort of is election related already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loc .
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe further exploration between human first and clone/bioroid labour. Pretty deep area with lots of connection to the lore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nutt
United Kingdom
Linlithgow
West Lothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
I think Mumbad is going to go more into politics, but I'm kinda sad it will be India-based politics, instead of global initiatives.

The opinion of India (a population of over a billion) is a pretty major thing for corporations to fight over and takes us to a new location instead of a rehash of futuristic America or Asia.

I am really looking forward to the Mumbad theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dj sabor
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
theodorelogan wrote:

Suburbia.

A canonical cyberpunk book, Snow Crash, gave us ample description of this in the form of 'burbclaves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dominguez
United States
Norwalk
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to the new Jinteki identity Palana Foods, and I like that FFG has decided to finally touch on Consumer Packaged Good (CPG) companies as a type of Corp. Mind you, not because I like or admire them. I've worked for CPGs for the entirety of my career, and they're some of the shadiest companies out there, definitely hitting "Business First" theme of the pack. So I'll be playing it ironically, of course!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nutt
United Kingdom
Linlithgow
West Lothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps FFG should just put themselves into the game as an evil Corporation! Make themselves like one of the new runner IDs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Internutt wrote:
Perhaps FFG should just put themselves into the game as an evil Corporation! Make themselves like one of the new runner IDs.

I think that would only encourage everyone who is determined to portray a small hobby game company as an evil megacorp for the sake of irony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.