A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: A Game of Thrones 2.0 OCTGN rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roman Sandal
Australia
flag msg tools
Hey Guys,

I am new player to Thrones and just returning to OCTGN (ex SW LCG and SG-1 TCG Player), I have been watching a few streamers online and I see they have the uncensored cards.

Would someone out there be kind enough to provide the link?

I have searched the forums and was only able to find the censored card pack. Being new my mates and I need all the help we can get learning the cards.

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lytic Phage
msg tools
Couple of points - the first is that the cards are censored for a reason: it's one of the legacy stipulations that went in (probably misunderstood) from when the first edition moved to OCTGN that helps FFG tolerate (or ignore) the existence of OCTGN. 6 months after the release of a card, it goes uncensored - so that'll be a while yet for the core.

As for uncensored cards existing, you may be confusing it with a different form of censored. Some of the people I know have the cards censored, and then a text overlay of the card's text *over* the censored box. You might notice that the font, spacing and textual icons don't match those on the cards. I think this is something that was true of the earliest versions of 2.0 on OCTGN, and that the maintainer felt was skirting the lines set out by FFG a little too much, and has since updated away - but I'm not quite clear on what happened here.

An option you have is that you can always call up that text (right click on a card and there's the option to call up the card text), even on a censored card.

Another option is to generate your own image files to replace the censored ones. It's not that tricky to scrape them from, say, Cardgamedb(although once you've made them, I suggest a bulk renaming tool for the ridiculous file names).

If you do do something like that, my advice is not to disseminate it widely. OCTGN exists at FFG's sufferance, and I'd rather it continued to exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lytic Phage
msg tools
I want to clarify something here - there is NO obligation to pay OCTGN to play Thrones. FFG has no agreement here. Secondly, while you may feel a moral obligation to pay for your use of OCTGN (and that's fine, I do too), there is NO legal reason you need to do so. In fact, some of the revenues generated by OCTGN (not the subscriptions, mind) are piggy-backing off important IPs and might well land them in trouble in the future. You can replace the image files directly in the folder without being a subscriber.

I'm also not sure it's fair to say that "OCTGN exists for people who own the cards" - there isn't really any evidence to back that up. I mean, obviously FFG would have more incentive to crack down on OCTGN if they thought it was actively hurting their sales, and I strongly urge you to buy a physical copy if/when they are available in your area (I did for years, even without people to play with near me, just to continue to support the game and for the one tournament a year I would travel to!), but let's not pretend there's any official policy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roman Sandal wrote:

http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27386-2nd-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Be Excellent To Each Other
mbmbmbmbmb
Roman Sandal wrote:
Hey Guys,

I am new player to Thrones and just returning to OCTGN (ex SW LCG and SG-1 TCG Player), I have been watching a few streamers online and I see they have the uncensored cards.

I have searched the forums and was only able to find the censored card pack. Being new my mates and I need all the help we can get learning the cards.

Thanks in advance

I know a post above says you have to right click, but I got the censored image packs from the cardgamedb OCTGN thread link, and they are not actually censored. They just have re-typed text in place of the original wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.