7 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Adding big ships to small collection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Erledigt
msg tools
Hey guys!
Im fairly new to the X-Wing Miniatures Game but want to Upgrade.
I have two basic sets, a Y-Wing and a TIE Advanced.
Now i would loove to buy some big ships!
i usually provide all ships for my gaming group so i need to buy at least one for the imperials and one for the rebels.

Now my question:
with the ships i have, would it still be a fair game if i would add the Falcon and the Slave 1? Or should i buy other ships first?

Greetings from Germany!

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Williams
United Kingdom
Penkridge
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no reason not to get larger ships, in fact it will help you build 100 point squads.

The Falcon and Slave were both released early in the life of the game and were expected to be played along side a limited number of small ships.

Have fun expanding your collection, the more ships you have the more interesting it becomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Adamski
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
If you are currently playing for fun, i suggest, stick to the smaller ships and build a variety of models. If you purchase Rebel Aces and Imperial Aces, this will open up a wide range of lists for you to try. The upgrade cards particularaly in the Imperial aces are excellent.

After this, yeah, go ahead and buy some big ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Idelwylde
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think adding the Rebel and Imperial Aces will give you best variety of models and play enhancements. After that, the Falcon and Lambda shuttle should probably be your next pick ups.

I'd say the Lambda shuttle over Slave-1 because of the addition of more crew and interesting strategies. Colonel Jendon and the ST-321 is always interesting to fly against!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Garrison
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Falcon and Slave one were part of my collection from the beginning. Both are iconic and fun to play. You can have 4 ties backing up the Slave and 2 or 3 ships supporting the Falcon. I filled out my collection considerably since then, but I was never sorry I got those ships early. They are also great showpieces and will help get your friends interested in playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Kentz
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Millennium Falcon and the Slave-1 are excellent choices to add to your collection. As others have said, they are iconic ships and a lot of fun. I made the mistake of buying the Lamda shuttle too early in my collection and found it to be a big "space cow". Its hard to maneuver and unless you have a variety of other ships and upgrades, it tends to be a wasted points. Don't get me wrong. It is a cool model and I am glad to have it, but I rarely play it.

Jerome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Lesperance
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeromek99 wrote:
The Millennium Falcon and the Slave-1 are excellent choices to add to your collection. As others have said, they are iconic ships and a lot of fun. I made the mistake of buying the Lamda shuttle too early in my collection and found it to be a big "space cow". Its hard to maneuver and unless you have a variety of other ships and upgrades, it tends to be a wasted points. Don't get me wrong. It is a cool model and I am glad to have it, but I rarely play it.

Jerome

I think that's a fair point -- Falcon and Slave I can be 100% usable right out of the box, and still remain relatively competitive. The Lambda is amazing for combos, but doesn't come with as many upgrades that will be super useful for the rest of your ships.

Off the top of my head, you get Stealth Device(s) and Veteran Instincts by going with the big two, and they're useful on pretty much any/everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.