GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,154 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Ticket to Ride: Europe» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Too Basic... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Bratt
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Short Review (for those of us who want a quick summary)

I received this game for my birthday 2 years ago and have played it a handful of times since than. I really like the look of the game as it is beautifully illustrated and even the cards look real neat, but I found the game got too repetitive after one or two plays. This is the type of the game that you will love the first couple of times you play but after that it will just sit on a shelf, IMO. Get a game thats not as simple and has a little more advanced rules (like Power Grid). Of course, if your not looking for a fun game for yourself but for your whole family this is a very easy game for kids to learn.

The Game

Ticket to Ride: Europe sucedes the popular Ticket to Ride game with a European map and a couple extra rules. This game is one of an irregular few (well..not few) that have 2-5 players vs 2-6. Since most gamers who gather in large groups play 6 player games someone may be sitting out. The play time is great only 50 minutes! I say great because I couldnt stand much more than that

Gameplay

Basically, the goal of the game is to be the person with the most points at the end. Points are gained by completing routes (like almost all other train games). The board is full of all different train routes going all over. You receive three routes at the start of the game and try to complete them to gain points. To do this you need to jump from city to city to city building trains as you go. To build between cities you need to have a certain number of train cards of the color of the railway between the cities. Once you compete a railway between cities you get points based on how many trains are on that railway and you will eventually get even more points when the route has been completed. In short, you try and complete train routes between cities and gain points.

There are only a couple extra rules to this game. These are subways, ferries and train stations. They really dont add much to the gameplay except the ability to gain a couple extra points.

In Conclusion
Ticket to Ride seems like a really hyped up game to me. Otherwise I cant understand why it is so loved by so many! Take my advice, unless you have smaller children, this game will sit on the shelf. Sure it provides a quick thriller....but for the price there are many other games that will provide that "quick thrill"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game sounds like Gin Rummy, but with little trains to represent the melds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamjon858 wrote:
Points are gained by completing routes (like almost all other train games).

Like all other Ticket to Ride games. You don't get points by building track in Railroad Tycoon or Age of Steam.

generalpf wrote:
This game is nothing like Gin Rummy.

Agreed. It's like regular Rummy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Quote:
You receive three routes at the start of the game and try to complete them to gain points.

Are you sure you are playing the game correctly? At the beginning of the game each player receives one long route and three short routes, and you must keep at least two. Moreover, on your turn you may choose to take new tickets, drawing three and keeping at least one. I am asking because of how simple you say this game is. Sure, it is a light game, but if you think it's only appropriate for small children, I suspect you might be doing something wrong. Ticket to Ride Europe is one of the rare games where practically everyone I introduce it to loves it, and many people here have had the same experience. Personally, I have played it more times than I can count, and I haven't gotten tired of it yet. It is one of the games in my collection that gets played the most.

If you are convinced that you played correctly and you still don't like it, fine. There are certainly heavier games out there that will satisfy your appetite. But TTR:E is a good game that hits the right spot for a lot of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, I think you have sold this one a little short - yes, it is a fairly light strategy game, but it is in no way just a game for children.

Firstly, you mention that it is "one of an irregular few (well..not few) that have 2-5 players vs 2-6. Since most gamers who gather in large groups play 6 player games someone may be sitting out." Well two points here, I would think that by far the largest majority of multiplayer games tend to hit the 2-5 players mark, and within that most games have a "sweet spot" so I would be surprised that many larger groups would only play 6 player games. Our group is 6, and we tend to play a 4 and 2 player game, it reduces the down time while you wait for the rest of the people to take their turn.

Secondly, I don't think the game is hyped in any way - it is a solid game, easy to learn and fun to play. I have taught it to about 20 people now and have only had 1 person not enjoy it (and that was my brother in law who would argue with anyone!). It is almost universally liked, mainly becasue there is not much to dislike.

However, you are free not to like it, but I would try giving it a few more goes, it does have a lot to offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is being compared to Rummy again? My egg must be ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Short Review (for those of us who prefer to phone it in)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.