Cthulhu Realms» Forums » General

Subject: Abjuring a must? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Hi,
Got Cthulhu realms a few days ago. I own Star realms and played it quite a few times with my girlfriend.

After a few plays of Cthulhu, I noticed that the winning player always uses the abjure ability quite a few times which was not the case with Star realms.

I only play 2p. Is this just a coincidence of the few plays I've had or maybe, something bigger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
Hi,
Got Cthulhu realms a few days ago. I own Star realms and played it quite a few times with my girlfriend.

After a few plays of Cthulhu, I noticed that the winning player always uses the abjure ability quite a few times which was not the case with Star realms.

I only play 2p. Is this just a coincidence of the few plays I've had or maybe, something bigger?

In Star Realms I use the scrap ability as much as possible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balazs Puspok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there's a lot more combinations to pull between colours, abjuring the basic cards is the most important task, after that the abillity loses its value a little. Sometimes I abjure out some of the abjure cards to change it to yellow cards which i find inferior at beginning of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is true in almost all deckbuilding games.

Since the VPs in this game are not on the cards, it even makes sense to use the abjure effects on non-basic cards to trigger effects and streamline the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, even cards in Dominion that combo with copper or estates typically don't work as well as other strategies in any given offer of 10 cards since they're reliant on drawing the action card portion of the combo at the right time, which an abundance of copper and estates resists freakishly well.

In Star Realms the equivalent to the above might be Fleet HQ (I think that's the name--it's the yellow card that gives +1 attack for every ship you play). Sure, that boosts a hand of 5 scouts worth 5 buy to now include 5 attack, but almost any combination of other cards would have also received the +5 attack bonus and would have actually brought other faction-powered goodness to the turn, including more card draws for more bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted about this elsewhere in another thread I think, but applicable here:

I love the scrap function in Star Realms, and occasionally play the AI with the express goal of having as small a deck as possible by the time I win. Once had only 4 cards in my deck just before my final attack.

It is even more powerful in Cthulhu Realms, where many cards require that you abjure to trigger an ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Priddy
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what is out there in the buying row but it's helpful. With the variety of cards chaining together if something is abjured it's a nice bonus. Plus pretty much everything in the game is either buying and/or hitting sanity in some way so you can't go wrong too badly. Don't go too crazy with it but it's a good way of getting different cards in the buying area once you got rid of the basic +/-1 low ranking people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.