Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With a host of new monsters in SOB the bounty system at the Frontier Post needs expanding, so I have made the following table.

First roll a D6 for the type of monster to have the bounty;

1 Alien robot

2 Beast goo

3 Demon devil

4 Mutant zombie

5 Void sauron

6 None of the above (Corpse Piles, Hungry Dead, Lava Men, Serpentmen, and Targa Pylons)

Then roll a D6 for the size of the bounty, multiplying by the following amounts;

$5 for Small Monsters

$10 for Medium Monsters

$50 for Large Monsters (for each hero in the posse)

So if you rolled 5 and 4 there would be a bounty of $20 on Void Spiders, £40 on Hellbats, Tentacles, and Void Sorcerers and £200 per hero on Void Hounds. Note that as Hellbats are both Void and Demon monsters they are twice as likely to get a bounty as Tentacles, which are only Void.

Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
another possibility is to shuffle all the low (or medium if you prefer) threat cards that you have for the mines and draw one at random, whatever monster type is on it is now the bounty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
I like your system for the most part. I think long term undead should be a bounty classification. Instead of a d6 you could use a d8, but Honestly i think the best option would be to make a custom deck for it. That way you can finely tune it based on what you have, and set certain bounties at different levels for seemingly the same thing. Also having a card means you can leave it out as a reminder for the bounty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but I took the five largest types and there are only two undead monsters at the moment. There are three tribal, which would come before undead in terms of numbers. Also there was a lot of overlap with Beast-Void, so you could ditch Void, add Tentacles and Void Sorcerers to others, and add a Tribal-Undead category. The advantage of this system is that it can be easily written on a piece of card and a quick note of Void4 on a character sheet can remind you which bounty is in operation. If a significant new monster type (like Alien) arrives the table can be easily updated.

Phil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
True, I only meant in the long term once everything is out there will be several types of undead (vampires, Undead Gunslinger, necronaut, undead outlaw gang, lost army & cannoneers, Ghosts from cynder, the tribal ghost warriors)

I agree though that interim an undead bounty wouldn't be very interesting or lucrative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason La Mar
United States
hayward
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe we will see an updated Bounty system with the Frotier Town expansion. I'm hoping, we might even see town cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Jelley wrote:
With a host of new monsters in SOB the bounty system at the Frontier Post needs expanding, so I have made the following table.

1 Alien robot

2 Beast goo

3 Demon devil

4 Mutant zombie

5 Void sauron

6 None of the above (Corpse Piles, Hungry Dead, Lava Men, Serpentmen, and Targa Pylons)

Then roll a D6 for the size of the bounty, multiplying by the following amounts;

$5 for Small Monsters

$10 for Medium Monsters

So if you rolled 5 and 4 there would be a bounty of $20 on Void Spiders, £40 on Hellbats, Tentacles, and Void Sorcerers and £200 per hero on Void Hounds. Note that as Hellbats are both Void and Demon monsters they are twice as likely to get a bounty as Tentacles, which are only Void.

Phil

So at the end of that process, you have a dollar value and an enemy genre, but then how do you select the specific enemy on which to place the bounty? Or is the point that the bounty is irrespective of individual enemies but applies to a genre of enemies instead? That seems like it would generate a LOT more money than the individual bounties as they work presently.

As a related question: when you take a bounty, do you play it that:
A) each posse member earns the full value of the bounty?
B) split the bounty earnings according to some process? (Like whoever does the killing blow gets the money for that kill?)
C) the earnings from the bounty are only available to the member that activated the bounty in town prior to the mission?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snardo wrote:
Philip Jelley wrote:

1 Alien :robot:

2 Beast :goo:

3 Demon :devil:

4 Mutant :zombie:

5 Void :sauron:

$5 for Small Monsters

$10 for Medium Monsters

Phil

So at the end of that process, you have a dollar value and an enemy genre, but then how do you select the specific enemy on which to place the bounty? Or is the point that the bounty is irrespective of individual enemies but applies to a genre of enemies instead? That seems like it would generate a LOT more money than the individual bounties as they work presently.

B) split the bounty earnings according to some process? (Like whoever does the killing blow gets the money for that kill?)
C) the earnings from the bounty are only available to the member that activated the bounty in town prior to the mission?

What about just making a special bounty card for every "wanted" monster type in the game and randomly draw one. It is infinitely expandable this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okocnar wrote:
What about just making a special bounty card for every "wanted" monster type in the game and randomly draw one. It is infinitely expandable this way.

You can indeed, but with two dozen monsters and counting the odds of you meeting that monster are remote.

Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snardo wrote:

The bounty applies for all monsters of the required type. If you have a bounty on beasts then you get it for all monsters labelled 'Beast'. So far little money has been generated from the bounties as the heroes do not always visit the Frontier Post in town, and will probably only meet the required monster once or twice on an adventure.

The only time I have made real money from bounties was in hunting Void Hounds on a mission that gave them an automatic $200 bounty per hero and made any Attack, Growing Dread or Darkness card an attack by Void Hounds on a D6 of 1-3. As we needed to kill Void Hounds to complete the mission we made $1,600 each ($4,800 in total).

It rather depends on the players, if they get a bounty and deliberately choose a mission to take advantage of it then they can do well, but the missions should be random or taken in a pre-arranged order to prevent this.

Phil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brennan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is how we do it:

New Bounty Board Rules:

Determining Monster Bounty:
Draw the appropriate Threat Card from your last adventure.

Determining Gold for Bounty:

Single Threat:
If the threat card is a single monster you gain gold equal to XP*2. If the Monster has XP listed as 10+5 and has 4 wounds. You would get (10+(5*4)*2)= 10+20+30= 60

Multiple Threats:
When there is more than 1 threat on the card any threats after the first only gain gold equal to their XP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Jelley wrote:

1 Alien robot

2 Beast goo

3 Demon devil

4 Mutant zombie

5 Void sauron

$5 for Small Monsters

$10 for Medium Monsters

Phil

I'm adopting this (with some adaptation) for my HexCrawl campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wisdomknight wrote:
Too bad there's no bounties for WANTED criminals/outlaws.
That would be a cool system

Outlaw monsters would come under 6: others,

Phil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add to this discussion in case anyone comes here looking for more info on bounties:

The Frontier Town expansion actually includes a separate official bounty at the Sheriff's office: you draw a low threat card and all monsters listed are on the bounty - the value of the bounty is equal to the monster's XP value (for large monsters, 10x the base xp value - large monsters also pay out to all heroes).

It also includes the possibility of coming face to face with Infamous Bandits, who have their own special cards which include a preset bounty, and you can buy a wanted poster at the Sheriff's Office which grants you a preset bounty for killing an outlaw enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.