GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,455 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Blue Moon» Forums » General

Subject: Seeking Expansion Deck Advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I have Blue Moon and have been playing it in a family setting. I have the first four expansions from a trade, but cannot really play the Mimix. Even one of the Vulca is a bit embarrassing. The Flit seem more interesting than the Khind and the Terrah to me.

Of all the expansions after the first four, is there one deck that clearly adds new twists or forces you to think/play in a different way, or are they all decks that place you in new situations with little wrinkles, such as between the Vulca & Terrah?

I have only played the decks as decks so far, as opposed to deckbuilding.

I am not a completist and will likely not get many other expansions to this game for quite a while unless I find a serious opponent.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I would say taking the Vulca and Hoax as "standard" then

Closer to standard: Terrah, Aqua
Less close to standard: Mimix, Pillar
Further from standard: Flit, Khind
Furthest from standard: Buka Invasion

This is excluding the two Emissaries and Inquisitors decks, which are about playing differently - but also include some elements that I'd classify as "furthest".

But based on your comments I'd suggest Khind, although it's not the furthest on my scale.

OK, who disagrees?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Khind then Buka based on your requirements. Shame about missing out on Aqua though, they are fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Just to clarify, it sounds like E & I complicates matters, but does not have that much benefit for the casual/occasional player.

As I have Khind, Terrah, Flit & Mimix, this leaves Aqua, Pillar and Buka.

I don't like the idea of bluff, so I'd probably use the Buka families more than them as a people.

I guess the question is why should I consider adding the Aqua, Pillar, and Buka families expansion decks on than 'for more cards/larger draft pool/completeness'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pillar is just plain fun, even if it is one of the toughest decks to win with. The ability to force disclosure of your opponent's hand is probably the most satisfying mechanic in the game for me, especially if you can actually make the disclosure work to your advantage.

Aqua: If you don't feel the need for completeness, this would probably be the deck I'd skip. It's fun and challenging in its own right but I think it feels less distinctly unique than the other two you're considering.

Buka would be the deck I'd buy first if you're looking for something different because the two new mechanics make it play far differently than anything out thus far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your first question sought the maximum difference in mechanics. The Buka introduce two unique mechanics, if you are after diversity, but I can understand your dislike of the bluff.

I interpret your second question to be based in maximizing your enjoyment of day to day Blue Moon play with "non-serious" opponents. (Preconstructed only)

Consider adding Aqua because your casual play partners will be able to adapt to it's style quickly, enjoy playing the deck, and will give you (the experienced player) a good challenge. "More deck choices for your guest".

The Pillar is not any harder to play mechanically, but its discards and discloses perform better in the hands of someone with a high deck knowledge, so casuals don't do as well with it. Conversely, practicing with this deck brings satisfaction because you see an improvement in deck power with practice.

Of course you could play Buka bluffs face up, treat the icon to mean "can be used as a support (of element type)". This is a variant though.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.