12/27/3006

Players
Baratheon – Luke
Greyjoy – Ken
Lannister – John
Stark – Brian
Tyrell – Jeremy

Session Report
My buddy Ken has owned AGoT for some time now and after a couple of failed attempts to get this one on the table we managed our first game shortly after Christmas. Ken had to go over the rules and answer quite a few questions since we were all newbs, but after about an hour of Q&A we were ready to decide the new king of Westeros!

The first turn went rather predictably with all players making a mad dash to the nearest territories and staking claims. It was obvious from the beginning though that Tyrell and Baratheon would come to blows as each player moved troops toward King’s Landing. As Stark, I turned my attention to Greyjoy to determine if he would come after me in the North or decide to move South against either Lannister or Tyrell.

By turn two Baratheon had claimed King’s Landing and earned the ire of Tyrell. Surprisingly, Tyrell marched against Lannister at Harrenhal forcing a Lannister retreat. This attack prompted a quick alliance between Baratheon and Lannister to keep Tyrell in check. To further the anti-Tyrell coalition Greyjoy attacked Tyrell’s navy in the Sunset Sea and forced a retreat. In the North Greyjoy and Stark claimed the remaining bits of territory with Flynt’s Finger going to Greyjoy while White Harbor went to Stark.

In turn three Stark and Greyjoy drew battle lines at The Twins while Tyrell and Baratheon turned their attention on The Reach and keeping one another at arms length. For most of the game the South of Westeros went untouched as Tyrell and Baratheon were totally focused on King’s Landing and its surrounding territories.

The Clash of Kings event came up about every other round, but for the most part the areas of influence were static. Only minor changes occurred to most houses except for Greyjoy who ended up tailing everyone on all but the Fiefdoms track. Lannister controlled the Messenger Raven until turn ten when Baratheon managed to get control. Baratheon sat the Iron Throne for most of the game and favored Lannister and Stark in tie breaking. By turn ten Stark had accumulated every available power token and secured first position on the Iron Throne and Fiefdoms track.

The bulk of the game came down to battles between Greyjoy and Lannister and another set of battles between Tyrell and Baratheon. Stark quietly built strength in the North while keeping an eye on Greyjoy for any attempt to move against Winterfell. With no immediate enemy Stark was able to defeat Lannister in turn ten at Crackclaw Point for a fifth city/stronghold. Baratheon launched a last attempt to claim Crackclaw Point from Stark and move from four cities to five, but Stark was able to hang on with Eddard Stark defending the walls.

We enjoyed the game as a whole except for one player who had fun but noted the long play time. I didn’t think the time spent learning and playing was all that long relatively speaking. From setup and learning to the end game took approximately five hours. With experience I know we’ll be able to get the play time to around three hours or less. The only concern I have with the game is kingmaking. This is a problem in every wargame I’ve played and I don’t see how AGoT can be any different. The odd number of players dictates that someone will get gang tackled while one or two players have the only real chance of affecting the outcome. This is not a huge concern with me as the alliance and diplomacy aspects make this game seem as though it will be a favorite for some time.

Stark won our first game which was more about learning the rules than anything, and I have to chalk the win up to pure luck. If Greyjoy had decided to focus on Winterfell or if we’d fought over Seaguard that would have left Lannister or Baratheon free to take advantage of the Tyrell and Bratheon conflict. The game was highly enjoyable and I can’t wait to get another game in ASAP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Morgan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great reviewIt sounds like everyone including Lannister were in a position to won the game. You will find that after multiple plays the game shouldn't take more than 2 hours. Did you use the ports rules from ACOK expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amin
Canada
flag msg tools
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
The game takes a long time when you first start playing as everyone is unsure of the rules. Then it speeds up as everyone becomes more familiar with the game. Then it slows to a snail's pace when everyone spends an eternity placing tokens and negotiating moves

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Moyers
United States
Meridianville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments and compliments! We did not use ports or any expansion rules. I can see that they would be a great addition though. Once Greyjoy moved a ship into the Bay of Ice there was nothing I could do to get him out of there except for a little sabre rattling...and that didn't work very well.

Do you guys use the port rules and how do you feel about them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.