BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » France

Subject: Help me about my trip to Paris rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bojan Pejovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

On my way to Madrid, my friend and I will have six hours of free time in Paris on 26.09.. Can anyone tell me which is the easiest and cheapest way to first come from Charles de Gaulle Airport to Orly airport and from there to the Eiffel Tower. Later on, we wiil walk along the Seine River, bypassing the bridges, to Notre Dame and in the end we will visit board game store L'oeuf Cube and then go back to Orly airport.
I must say that we can not afford the great expenses because we do not have much money, and I need something to save for games .
If you have any recommendation on the tour I would be happy to hear them.

Thank you in advance for your answers,
Bojan from Serbia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Schoukroun
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most convenient way would be the air frnace buses. It is also the most expensive, count around 20€ dans 1h from Charles de Gaulle to Orly airport.
The cheapest, (but longest and quite frankly, not as easy) would be the RER line B then Orlybus. That would be somewhere around 15€. Count between 1h15 to 1h30 to go from one airport to the other.
I encourage you to see the eiffel tower of course, as well as the trocadero, the champs elysées and the place de la concorde. Whatever you do, be aware that you can visit ANY churches (even Notre-Dame or the Sacré Coeur of Montmartre) for free in France.
Have a good trip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The overall cheapest and most convenient way would be to take the RER (Regional transport). Air France buses could work, but you'll pay extra.

The RER B Line will take you from Charles de Gaulles to Antony, where you can find a shuttle called "OrlyVal" which brings you to the Orly airport terminals (there are two of them, south and west - make sure you check which one you need)

The ticket is pretty expensive as far as public transports go (~21 euros from airport to airport) so you'd better grab a "Paris Visite" (daily pass) for zones 1-5 (~23 euros), and you'll be free to come back, and roam for the rest of the day afterwards.

On your way back, you can either take the Orlyval-RER B combo again, or take a shuttle (OrlyBus). Both stop at Denfert Rochereau, where you can take subway line 6 towards "Bir-Hakeim", very close to the Eiffel Tower.

Walking along the Seine and enjoying the sights is a pretty cool way to discover Paris, hope you'll enjoy the trip !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seb J
China
Chengdu
Sichuan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I am paranoid when it comes to transportation but I have to say you are making big plans for a 6 hours stop over.

I mean bagage claim, customs, going to the RER, get tickets and wait for the next one...that adds up!

Just for your own sake, make sure to time everything with room for random events of life. But enjoy yourself too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Schoukroun
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumbaki wrote:
I know I am paranoid when it comes to transportation but I have to say you are making big plans for a 6 hours stop over.

Yeah, that what I just figure too.

It takes usually 1h between the time you land and the time you get your luggages. Say then 1h30 to get to Orly from there, 30 min to re-check your luggages, 45 min to get into Paris, 45 min back to the airport to get ther 1h before your flight to get through security, that leaves you with a whoopin' 30 min in Paris!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAC PAC
France
flag msg tools
I think you should take a RER ticket to Paris then take RER B, stop at "St Michel Notre Dame" and take RER C direction Versaille/Pontoise and stop at "Champs de Mars tour Eiffel".
Visit ...
Go back to the same train station and take 1 Metro ticket (the shippest one).Take RER C to go back to "St Michel Notre Dame"
You can visit Notre Dame on the other side of the "Seine".
After your visit cross back the Seine and walk on "Rue Saint Jacques" where there lot of comic store and "Descarte" store (boardgame) at the junction with "Rue des ecoles".
Then you can walk on Rue des Ecoles (going East) until you reach l'Oeuf Cube (12mn walk).
To go back to Orly go to the train station at "Jussieu" take a ticket to Orly Airport take metro 7 going to "Villejuif" and stop at "Place d'italie" take metro 6 going to "CHarles de Gaulle" and stop at "Denfert Rochereau" where you will find RER B going to Orly . in fact it doesn't go to Orly : you have to stop at "Antony" where you take a small automatic train.

Have Fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Pejovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you all for great advice.
First let me say that I'm paranoid also, so from landing to take-off I have exactly 7 hours and 45 minutes and an hour and 45 minutes I left because I think it is enough time to pick up my luggage from the airport and to be an hour early on Orly airport to safely arrive on a plane to Madrid.
Then I have exactly 6 hours to go from one to another airport, to go to Paris, visit it and come back.
I think that the best way is to take the "Paris Visite" at the airport, which will cover all my trips.Then I plan my trip like this:
- RER B from Charles de Gaulles to Antony and Orlyval to Orly West, then re-check my luggage (aprox. 2h)
- from Orly to "Denfert Rochereau" via Orlyval and RER B or OrlyBus and then to "Bir-Hakeim" going from there to the Eiffel Tower. Then I'll see how much time I have left, but approximately I will have 3 hours for seeing Paris and going back to Orly airport.
Thank you for your help and I hope I will not be late for the plane .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Dystopian wrote:
The ticket is pretty expensive as far as public transports go (~21 euros from airport to airport) so you'd better grab a "Paris Visite" (daily pass) for zones 1-5 (~23 euros), and you'll be free to come back, and roam for the rest of the day afterwards.

I had an experience with a daily pass in Paris which did not allow me to go to the airports. I think that was a different ticket (mobilis), but I would check beforehand if you plan to buy one. Better safe than sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jujulautre wrote:
I had an experience with a daily pass in Paris which did not allow me to go to the airports. I think that was a different ticket (mobilis), but I would check beforehand if you plan to buy one. Better safe than sorry.

Indeed, airports usually have different rules. the Paris Visite ticket works, though (I've checked the Orlyval website). Note that the "Zones 1-5" part is especially important, as most tickets only cover zones up to 2 or 3 (Paris centre and close suburbs). Both airports are in zone 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Marti
Switzerland
Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
Waaagh
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you speaking french?
I did l'Oeuf du cube, Starplayer and Jeux Descarts last monday and 98% of the games are french - they only carry the french versions of games... So no FFG, magic, etc. if your not about french rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Pejovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murks666 wrote:
Are you speaking french?
I did l'Oeuf du cube, Starplayer and Jeux Descarts last monday and 98% of the games are french - they only carry the french versions of games... So no FFG, magic, etc. if your not about french rules.

I don't speak french but I mostly buy games which are language independent and they have lots of games of this kind (beside the rules which I can download from BGG) that are tough to find in Serbia and with reasonable smaller price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.