Subject: 3 Player games... Again rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sandertaker
Chile
Concepción
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My play group are 3 peoplesoblue, and i really need to know if this game works for 3 people because in my country cost about 80 dollars, and dont want to buy a game thats its gonna be in my shelf forever.
Of course im trying to integrate new gamers to my circle but i dont think i can make to 6 players every time.
The game worth the effort? or just a waste of money if i thinking to play it at least in the 50% of the time with 3 players?.
And dont want to buy the game expansion, only want the base game.

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Grafström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've just played with three players a couple of times. I liked the experience, and I'd say that if you don't adjust the game in any way, playing with 6 is the only version that is better than playing with 3. The game is more or less broken if you play with 4, and I strongly recommend to use the overlay in the south (making the south look like the first edition map) if you are playing with 5.

If it was me, I would buy the game to play with 3 players if you sometimes would get around to play it with more than that. To play it with the same three people brings up the "is it worth the money" question. I can see you finding playing with the same three people boring after a while. Replayability is not as high as it can be if you play regularly with more and/or different players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandertaker
Chile
Concepción
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But with 3 players, isn´t unbalanced in any way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hayton
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like the game but for me it only really shines with the full compliment of 6 players, it's OK with 5 and it's very unbalanced with 4. Unfortunately not tried it with 3 and it is possible that not having Greyjoy would free up Lannister a bit so that they can stop Barartheon just swiping through the south which is what tends to happen in my experience of 4 player games.

IMHO not worth the risk until you can find at least an another couple of people to play it, unless you're really lucky and find a cheap second hand copy somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huibin Zhou
Singapore
Singapore
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There seems to be a consensus that the base game does play best with 6 and unless you don't mind trying to overcome the Lannister weak position with superior negotiation skills against the Baratheon then I would advise avoiding the game.

I personally don't mind the game with less than 6 as in real war no nation starts 'equal' but in my experience a lot of people do and thus it is hard to table. That is why I am getting the Feast of crows expansion that is for 4 players and will be easier to find 4 than 6 players or if one day you can find 6 more easily, the more balanced (So I am told) for 6 Dance of Dragons expansion.

If I were you I would hold off unless it is for the theme. If not, there are surely other games that you would probably be able to get more bang for your buck in my view. I got a limited budget for games and I tend to not regret waiting and getting the best game to add to my limited collection.
Cheers and happy gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandertaker
Chile
Concepción
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Huibin and Mark for your replay, one of the reasons i want to buy the game, besides i have already tested and liked a lot, is the theme, because using the "Game of Thrones" excuse maybe i can make some people play it even if they arent board/card game fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Grafström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sandertaker wrote:
But with 3 players, isn´t unbalanced in any way?

I'd say that the 3 player game is THE most balanced of them all. Simply put, if one gets ahead, the other two must combine their resources to bring the order back. This usually means that one of the other two gets ahead, and a new alliance must form (over and over again).

This is why, for some people, it could become a bit boring if you play with the same three people over and over again. As I very much enjoy the theme and the game, it's not likely to happen to me, but I know that it could happen to others.

And I know that you didn't want to buy expansions, but I highly recommmend Feast for Crows. The 4 player scenario is WAY better than playing the base game with 4 players, and it takes less time. A perfect way to get new players into the game (or even the hobby itself) is to play Feast for Crows with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane B

Gatineau
Québec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has played many games with only 3 people and we enjoyed it.

That being said, it is true that if you play too often, you will become bored of having only the same 3 houses to play with. I really wish I could have found "official" or "very popular" settings in which we could use other houses to play 3 player games.

At 3 players, the game is fairly well balanced.. when you know the strategy of teaming up to block the leader.. it works.

80$ is a lot.. I guess it depends on if you like game of thrones enough and if you think you can find extra people to play once in a while

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler B
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sandertaker wrote:
Thanks Huibin and Mark for your replay, one of the reasons i want to buy the game, besides i have already tested and liked a lot, is the theme, because using the "Game of Thrones" excuse maybe i can make some people play it even if they arent board/card game fans.

This sounds like a good way to get those people to never want to play a board game with you again.

I try to shy away from this game with board game novices because it can be really really intimidating to them. 30+ pages of rules, an hour to explain them, and a 7 hour game are not ways to get people to come back and play again.

All said, I think the game is absolutely fine with 3 players. It's a little more boring than the larger games because Alliances are obvious and change every turn; 3 player is just a bash the leader game until someone manages to win. That said, look around and you're sure to find ways to play with 3 players and any house. (fine, I'll do it for you). I've used this with fewer than 6 players and it works okay. I imagine it will actually work just fine with the 3 player setups (like the RAW game) and will likely have neutral force balance issues with 4 or 5 (like the RAW game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandertaker
Chile
Concepción
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
scottishduck wrote:
sandertaker wrote:

This sounds like a good way to get those people to never want to play a board game with you again.

I try to shy away from this game with board game novices because it can be really really intimidating to them. 30+ pages of rules, an hour to explain them, and a 7 hour game are not ways to get people to come back and play again.

All said, I think the game is absolutely fine with 3 players. It's a little more boring than the larger games because Alliances are obvious and change every turn; 3 player is just a bash the leader game until someone manages to win. That said, look around and you're sure to find ways to play with 3 players and any house. (fine, I'll do it for you). I've used this with fewer than 6 players and it works okay. I imagine it will actually work just fine with the 3 player setups (like the RAW game) and will likely have neutral force balance issues with 4 or 5 (like the RAW game).

Im afraid of that too, but i dont think the game is sooo complicated (maybe is because i´m in to it), at least they already play catan, love letter, myl (kind of magic the gathering thing), pokemon tcg, is obvious that isn´t the same, but at least the´re not in blank and have the desire to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When compared with Catan or love letters, GoT is really, really complicated and long. When I´m teaching the game to newbies I always propose to play until round 5 and evaluate if they want to play until round 10. One time they asked me to stop and two times we played until the end. This game is not for everyone.

As most people told you, the game is fine for 3, but is not the best. You loose a lot of negociation and if one of the players is winning the other two will ally each others to beat the leading player (and they will beat him/her). So that is fun one, two three times, but later is not fun at all. If I were you, I would not buy the game for $80, I would try to increase my game group, maybe invest in other games first. But this is me, if you have the budget, go on.

PS: puta wn, si viviera en Conce jubaba contigo, tengo las dos expansiones. Suerte en tu busqueda
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandertaker
Chile
Concepción
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
[off topic in spanish]Igual estoy trabajando en agrandar el grupo y a ver si puedo jugar más seguido, y el presupuesto obviamente no me da, por lo mismo ando preguntando para asegurarme por que gastar 50-60 lucas no es chiste para los tiempos que corren, y me mataste con el WN, te salió el Chileno altiro Andrés xD[end off topic in spanish]

This weekend i hope i can play a bit more of the game and maybe make a bigger group because the game is in my head, i really need to play it again and again, but for now im gonna try to borrow the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.