11 Posts

Arcadia Quest» Forums » General

Subject: So... what's the big problem with the final scenerio rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Cox
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I hear all sorts of complaints about it, but nothing specific.

What's the issue with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Four a climactic boss fight after a nice campaign, it feels a bit lacking. I don't think it is as bad as some people make it out to be, but it falls a bit short of my expectation for a final clash with the big bad guy.

That said though, I'm not sure what I would have done differently. There is a lot to take into consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Trust me, I am not the Traitor.
badge
For Orcs there is no other life but WAR!
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter Cox wrote:
I hear all sorts of complaints about it, but nothing specific.

What's the issue with it?

I think most people feel like it's sort of luck too. The scenario drags on as each guild rushes to the door and just slaughters each other. Which equals high level characters with lots of dice rolling and eventually someone gets lucky enough to stay alive and run in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fine. You spend the first five scenarios beefing up to be the one with the best chance to claim the prize at the end. Even the last place player still has a chance to win, however. Call that luck if you will, but I just call it fun. Who wants to play in a finale they have no chance of winning? Give me a slight chance and I am intrigued. Or as in my last campaign, I won 4 out of the first 5 only to be out played by one of my kids who stole the overall victory the last game. That was cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDarkKnight wrote:
Who wants to play in a finale they have no chance of winning? Give me a slight chance and I am intrigued.

Amen, Brother, and pass the Burninate!
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In short, some players expect to fight the End Boss, and discover they are just fighting each other.

EDIT: I have no problem with the scenario, btw... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Gon
msg tools
I think there are here two issues:

1) The fact that whatever you have done in the 5 previous scenarios, if you kill Lord Fang you are the winner. I understand the wish to keep options for everybody until the end, but it is true that this could be very unfair. Personally I liked the solution done by Moriarity in this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1435614/whats-best-end-game...
Basically, you have two winners (The one who perform better in the overall campaign and the one who win the last scenario)... and you will be the megawinner if you win both. That's for me a better solution that the one proposed in the game.

2)The last scenario itself. One would expect a some kind epic final scenario, and, in my opinion, last scenario is not excepcional. I find it quite random, and less good than others (and obviously, this is absolutely subjective). Actually I am currently working in an alternative last scenario, to have another alternative when you play the campaign. Will share it soon here.

Best

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad Math wrote:
In short, some players expect to fight the End Boss, and discover they are just fighting each other.

EDIT: I have no problem with the scenario, btw... ninja

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

If you don't run out of death tokens you did it wrong (or bought extra like I did).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem is that it's the last scenario..thank god for the expansion (and up coming expansions!!)...

I managed to steal the victory from the 2 front runners in the last scenario due to a gamble I did where I attacked Lord Fang head on in what seemed like a premature move, and managed to deal the 13 wounds to KO him when my opponent on my right rolled poorly! That was an epic and nail biting series of die rolls!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edugon69 wrote:
1) The fact that whatever you have done in the 5 previous scenarios, if you kill Lord Fang you are the winner.
Yeah, but if it was different, you sometimes wouldn't have to bother playing the last scenario. E.g. in our first campaign one player won every single scenario. So, he already had the best chance to win the last one, too. But one of the other players might get lucky and snatch victory away from him. It ensures everyone stays invested in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
edugon69 wrote:
1) The fact that whatever you have done in the 5 previous scenarios, if you kill Lord Fang you are the winner.
Yeah, but if it was different, you sometimes wouldn't have to bother playing the last scenario. E.g. in our first campaign one player won every single scenario. So, he already had the best chance to win the last one, too. But one of the other players might get lucky and snatch victory away from him. It ensures everyone stays invested in the game.

I agree, you need to keep options for everybody to mantain the interest. But this is why I think the option of two winners is a good solution. You always have options to win one of the titles in the last scenario if you have performed very bad. And if you have done very well during the campaign you want to take both titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.