Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Catacombs» Forums » General

Subject: Catacombs - Does this game have something more or it's just flicking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, Dear Gamers.

I have a question, like in topic.

Do we have something more in this game or it is all about flicking discs into another discs?

I hadn't a chance to play it but looks kinda boring (although I like dexterity games) and I cannot see anything special about it (But I may be blind )

Can someone guide me a little in this matter?

Thanks in advance !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My number one game, played more than all 600+ other games in my collection combined, is Crokinole.

That is really just flicking.

I'm not sure 'just flicking' would be a bad thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategy and teamwork.

It takes more than being able to flick discs into other discs. There is a good deal of strategy involved. Who needs to go first to hit what monster, who needs help because they had a bad flick, and even using each other to move another player into position to attack.

I've said several times on here that the Overseer has a harder job to do and should be treated more like a DM in D&D. A good Overseer can elevate a game from flicking from room to room to an actual adventure. However, a bad one can make the game miserable sometimes.

It really is a game you need to play a couple times. Once you get the rules and abilities down, you'll come into a room and see the monsters and immediately start putting together a plan of action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it for the first time the other day against two people with very different play styles.

If you play it as though it is just flicking, it's kinda fun but, as you say, nothing special.

If you play it as a tactical game, which I think is how it's meant to be played, there's a lot to think about. The Overseer has 7 or 8 pieces to maneuver in every room. The heroes have 5 or 6 (with familiars) and they have ability cards to manage. Moving all your team's pieces into the position you want, assessing which shots are difficult but could be corrected by a later shot (i.e. if there's a piece you want in front, do you shoot it first weakly and then push it forward with the piece you want behind it?) and balancing risks are all fun.

But I don't know for sure, I will have to come back and answer the question once I've played it against a team of fully cooperating expert gamers, rather than one expert gamer and one 8-year-old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I agree with what was said above: there is more strategy and tactical decision making than you might expect just from pictures.

The game also offers a lot of variety. There are different special powers for each hero and each monster, different items and power-ups you can buy, and different board layouts available too. You will probably never have the exact same situation twice (although there will be similarities).

Finally, Catacombs works very well for groups of different sizes (between 2 and 5 players) and different ages/skill levels. You can customize which enemies are in play, how many rooms the heroes have to pass through, etc to help swing the difficulty level in favor of one side or the other.

That doesn't mean it will appeal to you... but saying it looks boring because it's "just flicking" misses the point. Flicking can be a lot of fun when done right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Forsyth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it several times and there is a fair amount of strategy involved. But the main mechanic is flicking. I don't have issues with that. I love Flick 'em Up!, Subbuteo and PitchCar. So i'm happy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.